(CNMC) – Calcutta National Medical College, Kolkata
About (CNMC) – Calcutta National Medical College, Kolkata:
(CNMC) – Calcutta National Medical College, Kolkata was established in 1907. (CNMC) – Calcutta National Medical College, Kolkata is a medical college located in Kolkata, 32 Gorachand Road, India. It is affiliated to West Bengal University of Health Sciences currently. The college is ranked 20th among medical colleges in India. (CNMC) – Calcutta National Medical College, Kolkata is a government based medical college. The highly qualified, deeply committed, and professionally inspired faculty gives to the college academic excellence. The faculty at (CNMC) – Calcutta National Medical College, Kolkata not only excels in their teaching abilities but also keep themselves abreast of the latest trends and developments in medicine. They are also accomplished researchers, contributors, and developers in their respective areas of interest. (CNMC) – Calcutta National Medical College, Kolkata aims to provide a high standard of medical education to all undergraduate and postgraduate students. It also focuses on teaching the values of ethical medical practice. (CNMC) – Calcutta National Medical College, Kolkata is recognized by the following for both, running MBBS course and Postgraduate programs:
- Medical Council of India
Undergraduate:For undergraduates, (CNMC) – Calcutta National Medical College, Kolkata offers the MBBS courses, BSc Nursing.
The course for Postgraduate degree is 3 years long and the Postgraduate diploma is 2 years long.
Below is the list of all courses offered by CNMC:
- MS General Surgery
- MS Orthopedics
- MS Ophthalmology
- MS Anatomy
- MS E.N.T
- MS Obstetrics and Gynecology
- MSC Medical Anatomy
- MSC Medical Biochemistry
- MSC Microbiology
- MSC Pathology
- MSC Physiology
- MD Pediatric
- MD Anesthesiology
- MD General Medicine
- MD Pathology
- MD Microbiology
- MD Radio Diagnosis
- MD Preventive and Social Medicine
- MD Psychiatry
- MD Obstetrics and Gynecology
- MD Forensic Medicine
- MD Physical Medicine
- MD Dermatology
- MD Biochemistry
- MD Social and Preventive Medicine
- MD Transfusion Medicine
- MD Pharmacology
- Ch Neuro Surgery
- Ch Pediatric Surgery
- Ch Urology
- Ch Cardio-Thoracic Surgery
- Ch Plastic Surgery
- Diploma in Child Health
- Diploma in Medical Radio-Diagnosis
- Diploma in Public Health
- Diploma in Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Diploma in Immuno Hematology and Blood Transfusion
- Diploma in Ophthalmology
- Diploma in Forensic Medicine
- Diploma in Anesthesiology
For a candidate to qualify for application of admission to (CNMC) – Calcutta National Medical College, Kolkata, following are the requirements:
- The applicant must have passed 10+2 / A level / IB / American 12th grade or any equivalent with Physics, Chemistry, Biology / Biotechnology and English as majors from a recognized board.
- The applicants must have secured at least 50% marks in all the science subjects combined of the qualifying examination.
- The lower age limit is of 17 years on the 31st December of the year of admission.
- Foreign applicants are required to submit the following:
- A No Objection Certificate from the Department of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, New Delhi.
- ‘Equivalence Certificate’ from Association of Indian Universities, New Delhi who will equate their qualifications as equivalent to the 10+2 of India.
- A Student Visa.
- A Residential Certificate.
- The selection of candidates is solely conducted on the basis of the valid rank obtained in the National Eligibility Entrance Test (NEET) 2020 and through centralized common counseling conducted by DGHS.
- The applicant applying for the Postgraduate programs should have passed the MBBS examination from a recognized Medical college that is affiliated to any University recognized by the MCI.
- The applicants must have completed a year of Compulsory Rotating Internship in a Medical institute recognized by the MCI.
- The applicant must have registered their MBBS degree with their respective State Medical Council.
- The selection of applicants will be solely on valid rank obtained in the National Eligibility Entrance Test (NEET).
- Foreign applicants must be registered practitioners in the country from where they have obtained their degree and are required to obtain a temporary registration certificate from Medical Council of India.
Applicants looking for admission in different degree and diploma programs offered by CNMC are required to enroll and appear in the respective exams. To apply for (CNMC) – Calcutta National Medical College, Kolkata, the candidate needs to follow the succeeding steps:
- Visit the institute to obtain their prospectus along with the application form by paying the application fee.
- Fill in the form very carefully and mention the courses of interest to get admitted to.
- Attach the required documents with the form.
- Submit the completed form to the admissions office.
The following documents (as required by candidate chosen degree) should be attached with the application form:
- Metric and 10+2 marks sheet and passing certificate.
- Bachelor’s degree and mark sheet.
- Entrance exam admit card and scorecard.
- MBBS mark sheet and degree.
- Migration Certificate.
- Character Certificate.
- Caste Certificate (if applicable).
- Registration as a Medical Practitioner.
- Equivalence Certificate (if applicable).
These dates are according to the year 2018:
Entry Test Name
Application Start Date
Application End Date
The campus of the Gandhi Medical College (CNMC) is not only known for imparting excellent education but also for exemplary facilities. The atmosphere of the college facilitates learning for the students. The college is well-equipped with necessary amenities like classrooms with finest infrastructure, labs for various research and experiments and library. The objective of these facilities is to make learning favorable for its students. CNMC believes in imparting not only excellent education but providing for its students the finest facilities in all regards. The Institute brings about an environment with the best infrastructural facilities.
The CNMC Medical College Library was established in the Year 1907. College has one of the best medical libraries in the state. There are 17000 books in library. Library also subscribes to 42 national and international journals.
The Central Library Sections:
The central library is the biggest Library at CNMC and it contains the following sections:
- Staff reading room.
- Interns reading room.
- Rooms for librarian and other staff.
- Microfilm reading, Video and audio LCD. Projector room.
- Current journals room.
- Back volume of periodicals room.
- Air-conditioned computer room with Medlar & internet facility.
- Undergraduate Section.
- Group Discussion rooms.
- Individual Study rooms.
CNMC Library provides the following facilities:
- Document Circulation Service:
The books are issued to Interns, Postgraduate Students, Research Scholars and Faculty Members. Bound/unbound journals, audio-visual materials and CD-ROMs are for in-house use only.
- Reference Service:
References Services is a personal aid provided to the user by the library staff in interpreting library collection for study and research. The Library staff assists users to locate the needed information from the available information resources. On the basis of the collection, library provides services to its users.
- Photocopy Service:
Through this services library provides photocopies of articles from journals and books to the users as and when requested further users can also send and receive Fax messages from library
- Audio-visual Services:
Through this service library provides audio and video cassettes CD’s slides of teaching programs, in the A.V. Room.
- Computers Services
The computer lab of the library offers the following computer services to users
- Internet browsing and online journals access.
- Facilities for preparing presentation materials such as slides, transparencies and color scanning
- Assisting the students and faculty members for editing projects/thesis, data analysis, setting the file to the required quality of print and printing.
- Color scanning CD writing, with laser printing and DOT matrix printing.
Cafeteria at CNMC is spacious, clean and provides extremely good services. A large variety of hygienic, healthy and delicious food is available at the cafe. Cafeteria provides desi, Italian, Chinese, South Indian, and North Indian food at reasonable prices. The cafe provides the service of delivering food to offices and hostels. Students can eat as much as they like at very student-friendly rates.
There are a total of seven hostels for the purpose to provide proper accommodation to the students. There is a girls hostel and six boys hostels. Among the six hostels for male students, three of them (Main Hostel, Lynton Hostel, and Deshbandhu Hostel) are administered by the government and the other three (Dr. Sundarimohan Hostel, Khudiram Hostel, Dikhusha Hostel) are administered by private organizations. Except for the girls’ hostel, all the six boys’ hostels are situated outside the college compound. Though these hostels are out of the college campus but they are within close proximity to its premises The hostels provide the students with an individual bed, a cupboard, a table, and a chair. For the comfort of students water and electric supply are available all the time. The facility of mess is also there.
It is a common practice at colleges and universities that students face ragging by seniors. Students are forced to do things they don’t like and humiliated in front of everybody. This disturbs the students and some students even get depressed and other adverse effects are observed. To provide students with a sense of security, an anti-ragging committee is formed at (CNMC) – Calcutta National Medical College, Kolkata.
(CNMC) – Calcutta National Medical College, Kolkata promotes its students to take part in sports activities. For students a football ground, badminton court and indoor facility for Table tennis are available. The Sports Union at the campus reverberates with energy and inspires students to challenge themselves.
Life at Calcutta Medical College:
After entering a medical college your life takes a sharp turn. By putting in loads of efforts and hard work you can enter a medical college. After going through such a tough competition and finally entering a medical college you have truly made a big achievement. Getting selected into CNMC is not a minor achievement. Through your devotion and determination, you have earned to get your skills polished by an institution like CNMC. There are tough times at medical college and in order to perform well in tough times below are some tip:
Stay Attentive in Class:
It is an ordinary scenario to see people dozing off during lectures. This has some adverse effects; firstly the teacher gets distracted and irritated and you give off an impression of non-seriousness. Secondly, you miss the content being taught by the teacher, which afterwards is troublesome for you. It affects your performance in quizzes, assignments, and exams.
Use Visual Aids:
Visual aids can be really helpful when revising. At the start of a topic, challenge yourself to write down everything you already know about a topic and then highlight where the gaps lie. Closer to the exam, condense your revision notes into one-page diagrams. Getting your ideas down in this brief format can then help you to quickly recall everything you need to know during the exam. Pictures or diagrams tend to stay in your memory for a very long time. So try to study by keeping diagrams and pictures in front of you.
Review Past papers:
Most professors will be happy to give you examples of the previous work. If there’s a test or paper coming up, request a sample paper or a sample test. Some classes actually provide information like this on a course website. These can be great resources to help you succeed academically. Many teachers keep old papers on hand to give students an idea of the upcoming exam. If you can get some old papers, read them carefully and try to evaluate yourself. If your teacher does not have model papers, try asking someone else who previously took the class and earned a high mark if they still have their old papers.
Dr. Najeeb lectures:
Students at medical colleges learn a lot of difficult concepts and so it is not a very big issue if they don’t understand some course or some topic. What causes a problem is that it is very hard to get help for a missed concept or a difficult course. This demotivates the students and deteriorates their performance. If it was a few years back it was indeed a big problem but now there is nothing to worry about. Whenever you are stuck with a concept you can always access Dr. Najeeb’s Lectures. These are video lectures which are an incredible source for self-studying. Dr. Najeeb’s Lectures are the world’s best medical lectures, covering every one of the aspects of Gross Anatomy, Neuro-anatomy, Embryology, Histology, Physiology, Biochemistry, Genetics, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Immunology, and Pathology. These lectures comprise of visualizations of knowledge delivered by books. These lectures also comprise of hand-drawn illustrations to further clarify concepts of students. Furthermore, one can get lifetime access to these lectures and even download the app to avail them anytime, anywhere.
Utilize Time Effectively:
At medical college, the key to good performance is time management. You need to form a schedule and strictly follow it. For the situation where time for classes overlaps with time for other activities you need to prioritize your classes or manage time accordingly. The most important thing is to manage your time efficiently. Regularly go through your notes and always start early. If any assignment or quiz is due do not drag it till the deadline, rather start early so that you have time to ask others and perform well.
The tough studies and hectic schedule at medical college can drain your energy and make you tired. It is essential for you to relax and some time for yourself. You can always perform some mind relaxing activity or play games or go to the gym for rehabilitation. At medical college at times even after hard work you are not able to achieve high grades, you should not get discouraged and continue with the hard work. You should reward yourself for the achievements you make.
Keep Your Spirits High:
There can be times when things don’t go smoothly but always stay positive and keep your spirits high. You need to stay positive and keep up with the hard work. You have to have confidence and trust yourself for if you’ve overcome all obstacles and come this far nothing can stop you now.
At the end we would like to encourage you to work with determination and become the most accomplished physicians. Don’t give up in hard times, keep our tips in mind and Good luck!