CHRISTIAN MEDICAL COLLEGE, LUDHIANA
The Greenfield sisters, Miss Martha Rose and Miss Kay Greenfield were the founders of North Indian School of Medicine for Christian Women. The name was changed to Christian Medical College (CMC) in 1952 to enable it to admit both men and women students for the upgraded MBBS course which came into effect for its first admission from 1953. Click here to visit their official website.
CMC is recognized by the Medical Council of India and affiliated with Baba Farid University of Health Sciences, Faridkot, Punjab.
MISSION AND VISION
Christian Medical College Ludhiana Society, on behalf of the Church, seeks to contribute to the health needs of India by training primarily Christian Medical, Dental, Nursing and other health professional students and by providing holistic health services to the community and the nation, with people of the Christian faith serving in Christ’s name alongside with those of other faiths, who identify with these aims and goals
To provide excellent comprehensive training to graduate and postgraduate students for advancement of medical knowledge and research to make a significant contribution to the health standards of all communities of our nation, urban and rural and to reach primarily the unreached communities of India or elsewhere as needed
Quality Policy of Christian Medical College Ludhiana
The Christian Medical College and Hospital, Ludhiana through its colleges and hospitals are committed to the healing ministry of the church
- By providing high quality health care and strive for continuous improvement in quality
- Ensure patients safety by providing them with compassionate care of high professional standards
- Maintain quality by offering continuous training to the faculty, staff, residents, and students
- Meet all regulatory and statutory requirements
- Conduct regular quality audits and strive to implement quality measures
- Encourage optimum usage of infrastructure and facilities.
Philosophy and objectives of the institution
In fulfillment of this objective the Society has established the institution (Christian Medical College, Christian Dental College, College of Nursing, Hospitals and other units) as a Christian Institution in name, content, and character.
In furtherance of the above affirmations, the Christian Medical College, Christian Dental College, College of Nursing, Hospitals and other units are administered as an educational and research Institution of an all India character, run, managed by Christian men and women as health professionals, to the highest standards and in the spirit of Jesus Christ, for the healing ministry of the Church of India.
Staff of all faiths shall live and serve together in the Institution in an atmosphere of mutual respect, trust, and love.
In this atmosphere of mutual trust and undertaking, all the staff shall together strive to create a climate of excellence that is marked by a sense of God’s presence and action in their corporate ministry in the Institution.
WHY CHOOSE CHRISTIAN MEDICAL COLLEGE?
This is a college which has a rich history and a legacy of working and learning with empathy, passion, vigor and honesty. CMC produces competent and professional doctors, in spirit of the Christ, who are provided with all the tools and skills required in the medical field along with being compassionate and caring towards the patients they look after.
The college not only makes you a successful doctor but also shapes you into a good human being. CMC believes that a balance should be kept for a student to have a healthy life. They not only help give knowledge but polish out other talents that their students have.
For a candidate to apply for CMC, they should first fulfill the eligibility criteria:
- To apply for UG courses, a candidate must complete 17 years of age at the time of admission.
- Only Indian citizens and NRIs are admitted to the course.
- No other foreign national is allowed to be admitted in the mentioned courses.
- All the candidates are required to qualify the NEET UG examination.
- Candidate with 50 % marks in 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Biotechnology and English is eligible.
- For SC and OBC classes, the minimum passing percentage is 40% for each subject.
- NRI candidates are required to qualify the NEET examination and apply to Baba Farid University of Health Sciences, Faridabad.
After fulfilling the eligibility criteria the candidate has to apply for the admission test. Admission is conducted via the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET). In NEET the candidate has to score a minimum of 50%, however, students of ST/ SC/ OBC have to score a minimum of 45%.
The entrance test has 180 MCQs with 4 options to choose from. The exam is conducted in 3 hours and the number of question per subject is as follows:
NO OF QUESTIONS
- The maximum number of marks a candidate can achieve is 720.
- For every correct answer the candidate gets 4 marks and for every wrong answer the candidate loses one mark.
- The exam has to be performed with a black or blue pen.
- The questions from the above subjects are related to the information the candidate studied in 10+2 levels at school.
After the NEET examination takes place, a merit list is prepared and students are chosen according to their merit number. However, if two or more students have equal scores in NEET, preference will be given to
- Candidate having higher marks in Biology, NEET.
- Candidate having higher marks in Chemistry, NEET.
- Candidate older in age.
Students who are selected after the NEET examination scores then are given a schedule of NEET counseling in which they are guided about the subjects being offered in CMC and how to complete the admission process. However, for this, NEET counseling, some documents are required:
- 10th class examination mark sheet and certificate.
- HSC examination mark sheet and certificate.
- NEET admit card and score sheet.
- Course and Conduct certificate.
- Caste certificate for candidates seeking SC/ ST/ OBC quota.
- All the qualifying candidates need to apply online through Baba Farid University of Health Sciences (BFUHS).
- Such students are allotted dates for counselling at BFUHS as per their Merit ranks in NEET UG program wherein they need to submit the documents.
- Christian Minority with Service Commitment are required to send a copy of their completed application of BFUHS to the Registrar, CMC Ludhiana.
- Such candidates also need to send Baptism Certificate, Church Membership Certificate, Affidavit of Service, Letter of Service Commitment and Domicile details.
- All the candidates under Christian Minority with Service Commitment must apply online to CMC Ludhiana and pass the Bible Test with a minimum of 40%.
- Candidate needs to provide required details and documents. All the enclosures along with the Admission form is to be sent to the Registrar, CMC Ludhiana Society.
- For the Bible test, Applicant needs to select a Test Centre.
- The Hall Tickets can be downloaded through CMC website.
- After successful completion of the Bible Test and Application Process, a candidate of Christian Minority with Service Commitment is eligible to get admitted.
- For all other categories, Merit List will be uploaded on BFUHS website.
- There are 75 seats.
- Out of 75, 48 are for Christian Minority Candidates
- 12 seats are for Open Category (Amongst these seats, 8 are allotted to applicants belonging to the state of Punjab).
- 11 Seats are for NRI Candidates.
- The rest are for other categories.
- There are 40 seats
- 24 seats are allotted to Christian Minority Candidates.
- 8 seats are for Open category (Amongst these seats, 5 are allotted to applicants belonging to the state of Punjab)
- 6 seats are for NRIs.
- The rest of the seats are then allotted to the remaining categories.
The Christian Medical College the following departments:
- Oral Surgery
- Paediatric Surgery
- Gynecology and Obstetrics
- Chest Medicine
- Conservative Dentistry
- Casualty Trauma
- Plastic Surgery
- Forensic Medicine
BACHELOR OF MEDICINE, BACHELOR OF SURGERY [MBBS]
BACHELOR OF PHYSIOTHERAPY [BPT]
BACHELOR OF DENTAL SURGERY [BDS]
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE [B.SC] (NURSING)
DOCTORATE OF MEDICINE [M.D]
MASTER OF SCIENCE [M.SC]
MASTER OF SURGERY [M.S.]
MASTER OF DENTAL SURGERY [MDS]
MASTER OF SURGEY [M.S.]
POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA
GENERAL NURSING AND MIDWIFERY [GNM]
Library of Christian Medical College was established in 1956. CMC library subscribes both national and international journals in addition to the textbooks of basic and clinical sciences. The basic highlights of the Library at CMC are:
- The library service is available for 14 hours.
- There are departmental libraries, in addition to the Medical Library; containing valuable Material supplementary to that available in the medical library access to others libraries may be obtained by permission of the departments head concerned.
- It has an open shelf system for accessing books.
- It also has an Audiovisual Section.
- It provides Current Awareness Services, Free internet facility, Private Reading Room where readers can read their own books and Display to new titles, periodicals issue etc.
CMC has many recreational sports activities for its students. The campus has facilities for Basketball, Football, Badminton, Volleyball, Hockey, Tennis, Cricket and athletics. There is also a swimming pool next to the campus for students.
After consistently working for months to get into Christian Medical College you have done a job well done as it is a task not everyone can succeed at. However, this is just the beginning of the career you are going to make for yourself, the field of medical takes time and dedication and is like a marathon where one cannot slow done. Here are a few heads up of what to do and what to expect in your university life:
HARDWORK AND DEDICATION
As stated before, university is a marathon and you cannot lose hope or pause even for a second. When your university starts, to make life easier for yourself always revise daily so that you do not have a lot of work load when exams are near. Always set a timetable for the things you need to get done, like assignments or preparation of an exam and get them done as soon as possible. Never leave anything for the next day when it can be done on that day.
Friends make university life so much better so choose your friends wisely as you’ll be with them through your entire degree and will need them in times of hardships as well. Avoid conflicts; if you do end up in one try resolving it as soon as possible because it would be advantageous in the long run. Try to be a little sharp minded and keep yourself from getting exploited. Help out others, this way you can make more allies than enemies and they could end up helping you in your time of need.
HOW TO STUDY
In university you will experience that you will have to do a lot of studying on your own unlike school. There will be times when only attending lectures is not enough. Suppose, for one course, you end up with a lecturer whose methods of teaching do not resonate with your methods of learning. In such a situation you can always go to the teacher himself or the teachers assistant.
However, if still you are facing problem the best way to study is studying in a group with your friends. As each and every person has a strong hold on different topics, group study can help you understand some topic you are lacking in and it can further tighten your hold on a topic which you are good at when you teach it to someone else. Set a schedule with your friends on when to study together.
In times when all the above methods fail to teach the student where he is having difficulty in learning, the internet has provided us with Dr. Najeeb whose video lectures are a great source of self-studying. Dr. Najeeb’s Lectures are the world’s most popular medical Lectures, covering all the topics of Gross Anatomy, Neuro-anatomy, Embryology, Histology, Physiology, Biochemistry, Genetics, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Immunology and Pathology. The hand-drawn illustrations in these lectures make it very easy to grasp the concepts. Furthermore, one can get a lifetime access to these lectures and even download the app to avail them anytime, anywhere.