Fatima Jinnah Medical University (FJMU)
Fatima Jinnah Medical University (FJMU) named after Fatima Jinnah “is located in Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan. Fatima Jinnah Medical University (FJMU) with its associated teaching hospital Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, is a medical institute to teach and train female doctors and post-graduate students and provide medical and healthcare facilities to the citizens of the country, particularly in and around Lahore, and more particularly to the female population. It is now a tertiary healthcare unit.
Sir Ganga Ram Hospital was established in 1921 in the walled city of Lahore by a philanthropist Sir Ganga Ram who also donated a piece of land. The hospital was shifted to its present location in 1943 to cope with the growing demand for medical and health care services. On June 16th, 2015 the Health Department of Pakistan changed the status of the Medical College to the Medical University and the current principal was made the Vice Chancellor of the University.
In 1946, the family of Sir Ganga Ram started a medical college by the name Balak Ram Medical College, named after a son of Sir Ganga Ram. Soon after independence in 1947, the college was closed and its premises abandoned. However, the medical professional Prof. Shujaat Ali with the help of his colleagues nurtured the idea of setting up a medical institution in the same premises for teaching female doctors. With this objective the team of Prof. Shujaat Ali asked the approval of Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah for the institution to be named after his sister Fatima Jinnah. Fatima Jinnah Medical College For Women, Lahore admitted its first batch of 39 students in October 1948 and was formally inaugurated in March 1949 by Khawaja Nazim-ud-Din, the Prime Minister of Pakistan.
Vission & Mission
Fatima Jinnah Medical University will be the leading national academia offering leadership in medical education, research and community health services of international standards.
Fatima Jinnah Medical University will be the world class academia producing undergraduate, postgraduate healthcare professionals and research scholars demonstrating excellence in knowledge, skills, and empathetic values empowered with community oriented self-directed learning and professional development qualities to provide leadership in education, research and professional health services.
Fatima Jinnah Medical University will strive for:
- Providing a conducive learning environment of international standards for education and research
- Inculcating empathetic and leadership qualities in its undergraduate and postgraduate healthcare providers contextual to local community and national needs
- Providing community health services of high standards by its affiliated institutes and hospitals
- Achieving international standards by a continuous process of quality control, maintenance and enhancement
Fatima Jinnah Medical University (FJMU) will be able to:
- Attain a position among top national universities listed by the Higher Education Commission
- Create a conducive learning environment for undergraduate, postgraduate and research scholars
- Acquire research-oriented culture for evidence-based professional practices
- Conduct high quality assessments to achieve the goals
- Establish a dynamic Quality Enhancement Cell inculcating the tradition of internal and external audits in its faculty, students and the support staff.
- The degree offered by the Fatima Jinnah Medical University (FJMU) is granted by University of Punjab.
- Fatima Jinnah Medical University (FJMU) is recognized by the Pakistan Medical and Dental Council and College of Physicians and Surgeons Pakistan.
The following organizations are affiliated with Fatima Jinnah Medical University (FJMU):
- Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, Lahore
- Mozang Hospital, Lahore
- Teaching Hospital, Shahdara
- College of Nursing and Allied (Sir Ganga Ram Hospital)
For admission in 1st year MBBS, total of 300 seats are available of which 206 are reserved for open merit from Punjab, 9 for Sindh, 7 for KPK, 5 for Baluchistan, 23 for AJ&K, 8 for Northern Area’s, 8 for FATA, 7 for PATA, 7 for Federal Govt. Employees, 2 for disable, 4 for overseas and 21 for Foreign students under Pakistan Technical Assistance Program. Foreign students from brotherly Muslim countries such as KSA, Iraq, Iran, Kuwait, UAE etc. and other countries including Sri Lanka, USA, UK, and Australia are also admitted.
The eligibility for applying in Fatima Jinnah Medical University (FJMU) is as follows:
- All those candidates who have 60% or higher marks in FS.C Pre-Medical (Biology, Physics, Chemistry and English) are eligible to apply.
- Foreign candidates who have qualified intermediate or equivalent in Biology, Physics and Chemistry must have to attach British IBCC certificate.
Candidates need to visit the online website of NTS, download the form, fill it carefully and post it to NTS office.
National Aptitude Test
NTS conducts NAT.
- Exam Pattern
- The Examination will be offline mode (pen and paper) of 2 hours held at various centers across Pakistan.
- There will be total 90 MCQ type questions.
- Total marks will be 100.
- The subject distribution is given below:
- English 20 MCQs
Analytical: 20 MCQs
Quantitative: 20 MCQs
Physics: 10 MCQs
Chemistry: 10 MCQs
Biology: 10 MCQs
- Procedure to apply
- Application forms and deposit slips are available on the official website of NTS for FJMU admissions.
- Application submitted by hand will not be entertained.
- Candidates need to send the applications to NTS office through post or courier.
- Deposit fee is non-refundable.
Students must have to submit the following documents to the FJMU after getting a confirmation letter from the university. Failing to submit the following documents will result in cancellation of the admission.
- Matric Certificate and Marks sheet.
- SC. certificate and Marks sheet.
- Character certificate of college last attended.
- SC. registration card.
- Domicile certificate.
- 4 copies of National identity card
- Entrance Test result card
- 15 attested passport size photographs(name & father’s name must be written on backside of photographs)
- Five copies of each educational documents
- Surety Bond
- Certificate that you’ve been vaccinated against tetanus
- Certificate of inoculation against the group of fevers within the preceding of months,
- Certificate that you’ve had a “full course of immunization” against Hepatitis ’B’ virus
- Complete Blood & urine report along with X-Ray (chest PA view)
- 4 copies of passport (for foreign national students)
- Equivalence certificate from the IBCC Office (in case of foreign nationals)
- English Language certificate (foreign nationals)
- HIV certificate from prescribed laboratories in Pakistan. ( foreign nationals)
The main departments of the institute consists of
- Forensic Medicine
- Community Medicine
- Preventive Pediatrics
The fee structure of Fatima Jinnah Medical University (FJMU) is given below:
- 1st year 40,568
- 2nd year 30,793
- 3rd year 30,993
- 4th year 30,793
- 5th year 30,893
- 1st year 44,887
- 2nd year 43,787
- 3rd year 43,787
- 4th year 43,787
- 5th year 43,787
Students are provided with multiple scholarships on the basis of merit/need base. A scholarship committee is looking after the affairs of financial aids. Deserving students are provided appropriate financial aid.
- Zakat Scholarship from Scholarship Committee AFJOG, The Esar Trust and Professional Education Foundation (PEF).
- Loan/Qarz-e-Hasna From National Bank of Pakistan/Ali Garh old boys association
- Scholarships by financial assistance for medical graduates (FAMS) UK
- Merit scholarship by Punjab Education Endowment Fund (PEEF)
- Scholarships by Higher Education Commission (HEC)
- Scholarships for students admitted on FATA, AJK and Balochistan seats by Govt. of KPK, Kashmir Council & Bolan Medical College respectively.
- Scholarships to foreign students by Economic Affairs Islamabad (EAI)
- Tuition fee remission to 48 students by FJMU.
Life at Fatima Jinnah Medical University (FJMU)
In the range of your course at Fatima Jinnah Medical University (FJMU), you not just get the opportunity to encounter first rate medical studies yet alongside that you get an opportunity to explore Lahore ‘The City of Gardens’. Talking about college, faculty is experienced and renowned. University has set high priority to research, development and innovations. It has fully equipped laboratories.
The Library of the institution is well equipped with all modern facilities according to the HEC criteria. Library membership is free for all enrolled students. It has a collection of 47000 volumes comprising text books & reference books on all disciplines of health sciences. Text book service is available in the library. For that purpose a book bank is working for last 16 years with 5500 books. WHO corner also has been established in library for reference and research. There is a holding list of 27500 core medical journals present in the library journals section. 37 national and 15 international journals are on our regular list. Nearly 35 videos on different health related topics are available in library. Almost 130 CD’s of medical books are available in library. A general books section comprising 700 literary books is available for students. Some other facilities available in library are photocopier so that students can get a photocopy from any library book or journal, daily newspapers and 31397 E. books and 16000 E. Journals are also available there to support students in studies.
It is important that doctors dress in line with the expectation of the public in general, patients and your families in particular, by developing simplicity and respectability in general attire. Students must be at all times dress up properly & wear white coats & identity card.
To establish an identity as a medical student & to allow free movement on the campus it is important to display identity cards at all times.
Medical examination of all first year students is performed at the time of admission. Any un well student can report to the out-patient departments or to their respective department consultant and depending upon the severity of the disease may be recommended treatment or admission. In the case of an emergency boarder involve the house keeper who will facilitate their check-up at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, Lahore and will be dealt with on a priority basis. In the case of need for admissions, student’s sick rooms are available in the private wing of Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, Lahore.
Tutorial System / Mentor Programme
The students are divided into groups, every group being made up of a proportion of students from every class. The group tutors comprise of senior faculty members of the institution. A student once placed in a group will remain in that, till she leaves the institution. The tutor in charge of the group will meet the respective group of students according to the schedule drawn by the head of the institution. The objective of the tutorial group meetings is to keep the staff and students in touch with one another and to promote mutual good feelings and understanding. Each tutor looks personally into all difficulties of students in the tutorial group (individually or collectively), which may be referred to him/her for opinion and advice. Any grievance, which the students may have with regard to the institutional life, should be brought to the notice of their tutors in the first instance that will enquire into the matter and bring these to the notice of the Head of the institution, if necessary.
Student Counselling Services
The college provides counselling services for students who may be experiencing problems of any nature.
The college hostel is within walking distance from college. It consists of seven blocks with accommodation for 1000 students. There is a facility of internet with 20 computers in the hostel. In the hostel premises there is a reading room and multi-purpose “Shujaat Ali Memorial Hall” where different indoor sports and functions are arranged. Moreover, MBBS Professional Examinations of the students of Fatima Jinnah Medical University are also conducted there. A modern gymnasium is available in the hostel. Two very comfortable visitor rooms are also available in the hostel. Well maintained cafeteria caters to the nutritional requirements of students. Water purification plants are functional round the clock in College, hospital and hostel. Hostel Committee is responsible for the hostel affairs, headed by Vice Chancellor and comprising the Chief Warden, Wardens, Hostel Superintendent and housekeepers. Boarders from other cities should report to the Hostel Superintendent. They will be allocated rooms on the same day. Initially dormitories will be occupied by the first year students and later on they will be accommodated in group of four students in tri-seater rooms at the time of regular allotment. Single rooms are not allotted to the junior classes.
Fatima Jinnah Medical University (FJMU) has modern and well equipped laboratories in the campus to facilitate students with in depth study of their respective fields. Fatima Jinnah Medical University (FJMU) not only focuses on theoretical study but practical study is under great concern.
Fatima Jinnah Medical University (FJMU) in spite of the efforts of students in studies, do contribute to the sports and games. The institute conducts many awareness, extension and scientific activities. It also conducts many cultural programs. FJMU provides great facilities for the indoor sports as well.
There are different student bodies in the university which are given below:
- Shanawar Debating Society (SDS)
- Shanawar Literary Society
- Shanawar Mushaira Society
- Shanawar Arts & Photography Society (SAPS)
- Shanawar Quiz Society
- Shanawar Naat & Qiraat Society
- Shanawar Science & Research Society (SSRS)
- Sports Club FJMU
- FJMU Dramatics Society
- Student & Patient Welfare Society
- IFMSA FJMU Chapter
The events held at the university are:
- AFJOG Mushaira at FJMU
- Shanawar Trilingual Declamation Championship
- Inter Colleges Quiz
- Emergency Training Rescue 1122
- Annual Sports Day
- Fun Fair Organized By AFJOG
Fatima Jinnah Medical University (FJMU) also has wireless internet connection all over campus for students to attain knowledge of the material they did not understand in class. For difficult times like these internet provides students with medical lectures of Dr. Najeeb.
Dr Najeeb Lectures
Every student has been through those times where you truly have to teach yourself due to various reasons. Time clashes, bad delivery from the lecturer, inability to understand a topic sufficiently etc. A super easy way to overcome this hurdle is to watch Dr. Najeeb Lectures. Dr. Najeeb is a Pakistani online medical expert and is viewed as a master in the field of medicine. They are the world’s most popular medical lectures which cover all the topics of Medical which you need. His site contains in excess of 800 medical lectures. His recordings begin with Physiology and Anatomy and leads to Neuroanatomical, Embryology, Genetics, Dentistry, Biochemistry, Pharmacy and Nursing.