Foundation University Medical College (FUI)
About Foundation University Medical College (FUI)
The Foundation University Medical College (FUI) is a private sector university established in 2002. It has two campuses; one in Islamabad and the other in Rawalpindi. Foundation University is sponsored by Fauji Foundation which is one of the largest welfare organizations in Pakistan. Foundation University was placed in ‘A’ category in a list provided by Higher Education Commission (HEC) in 2005. Later on it was ranked as the 45th university in all of Pakistan.
Aims and Objectives of Foundation University Medical College (FUI)
Foundation University’s aims to achieve the following goals through training the future physicians of the world through the best guidance and practices:
- Convey first-rate training to medical students, enough for them to become competent in the management of health of the individuals of society, comparable with their place as a member of society.
- Flourish their personality and characteristics according to their professional life like sense of responsibility, reliability, integrity, and care for other individuals.
- Impart leadership in them to make them able to work better in teams and take charge of matters when required, learn to gear up resources for natural calamities or any emergency, if it ever comes to it.
- Facilitate them to acquire proficiency in communication skills, enable them to learn to appreciate social, psychological, cultural, economic, and environmental factors affecting health.
- Prepare them towards an attitude for continued self-learning and seek further experience or to pursue medical career or research in any field of medicine
Admission Process at Foundation University Medical College (FUI)
The following points of eligibility are restricted by the admission committee of Foundation University Medical College (FUI):
- The applicant who is willing to appear in the MCAT examination must have passed the intermediate in the medical subjects, which are: Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Physics and English from any of the recognized college.
- For the above subjects the applicant must have passed them with 60% or more marks which makes the score at least 660 out of a total 1100 marks in the intermediate.
NOTE: These marks should be 60% excluding the additional marks awarded on the basis of Hafiz-e-Quran.
- The applicants who have passed their A-Levels examination under the Cambridge Board UK must also have 60% marks in all the major subjects and such applicants are being liable to submit their equivalence certificate which is being issued by the Inter-Board Committee of Chairmen (IBCC) Pakistan.
- The applicants who are having the Domicile of Punjab and Federal Capital Area; Islamabad, Azad Jammu and Kashmir and the applicants belonging to the province of Gilgit-Baltistan are being eligible to apply for the MCAT examination which is to be held in Punjab and they are also being prescribed to bring their Domicile with themselves as without it they will not be accommodated in the MCAT examination.
- The Pakistanis which have the dual nationality are necessarily required to appear in the SAT II examination before appearing in the MCAT. The applicants are being prescribed to obtain at least minimum 550 marks in the SAT II examination so that they can avail the admission under the seats which are being reserved for them under the Pakistan technical Assistance Program (PTAP) and Self Finance Schemes (SFS).
Foundation University Medical College (FUI) Available Seats (MBBS)
Seats for Pakistani Candidates
Seats for Expatriates or Foreign Candidates
Seats for beneficiaries
Foundation University Medical College (FUI) Available Seats (BDS)
Seats for Pakistani Candidates
Seats for Expatriates or Foreign Candidates
Seats for beneficiaries
Some academic terms encountered during registration are:
- Prerequisite: A course that must be completed prior to enroll in a particular course.
- Co-requisite: A course that must be taken simultaneously with another course. It is the responsibility of the student to comply with the prerequisites for a course that he/she plans to take.
- Compulsory Courses: The courses which are of degree requirements for any of the academic programs offered.
- Core Courses: These courses are discipline requirement for the degrees offered.
- Elective Courses: These are specialization specific base courses, to fulfill the requirements of the area of specialization. Semester is a period of 16-18 working weeks including (two weeks for examinations). In a semester system, the academic calendar is split between two Semesters Fall and Spring. A Summer Semester of 8 weeks duration is also offered. The offering of course in summer is the discretion of the management and cannot be asked for.
- Credit System: In credit system, the students have to earn credit hours specified by the degree program. In accordance with the standardized practice, each course is assigned a specific number of credit hours and class contact hours. For example one credit-hour course must have 15 class contact hours in a semester. Similarly, a three credit hour course must have 45 class contact hours in a semester. One lab credit hour corresponds to 2 hours of lab work per week of a semester in which the course is offered.
Fee Structure of Foundation University Medical College (FUI)
Magazine/ID Card) etc
Integrated Training for (MBBS)/
Module/ OT Dress/Skills Lab &
Sterilization Charges for (BDS)
5% Withholding Tax
- The admission fee is non-refundable at any stage.
- The status of candidates admitted against the Expatriate or Foreigner seats will not be changed Category during the entire MBBS/BDS course under any circumstances.
- At the time of acceptance of admission in the college, all the dues will have to be deposited by a fixed and non-extendable date. In case of nonpayment till the specified date, the admission in FUIC will be offered to the candidate placed on the waiting list.
- The students will pay transportation charges annually @ Rs. 2,500/- for the 1st, 2nd, 5th Year and @ Rs. 4,000/- for 3rd and 4th Year. It will cover the expenses of various official academic visits and class trips organized by the Foundation University Medical College (FUI).
- Annual tuition Fee/Hostel Charges of the students may be increased to coup up inflation factor @ 5% per annum.
- Hostel Charges will be deposited in advance for one year if student decides to leave the hostel during the 1st half of the calendar year and provided he/she gives a month’s notice, (in the form of an application addressed to the Dean/Principal, through proper channel and if approved by the Dean/Principal) only then, the hostel dues for the 2nd half of the calendar year will be refunded, however the tax amount will not be refunded.
- 1% surcharge on outstanding fee shall be levied in subsequent years after due date as per policy.
The college dues once deposited will be refundable for 1st year only as per following PM&DC policy:-
- If the student wishes to leave the institution before the session or within two weeks after the commencement of classes 100% refund of all deposited fee except for the one time admission fee. The withholding tax will not be refunded if deposited.
- If the student wishes to leave institution within one month of commencement of classes, there shall be 50% refund of all deposit fee except Admission fee.
- If the student wishes to leave the institution after one month of commencement of classes then there shall be no refund.
- If the students repeating the year will be charge fee as per existing PM&DC.
- Detained student will be deposited 1/3 of tuition fee (for each failed subject). In case if a student failed in all subjects 75% of tuition fee of the same class in which he/she is repeating the subject other dues will be the same as per fee structure.
- Once the Academic Year start the student has to clear all his/her dues till 31 January of each year. In case the student decided to leave the college or migrate, will clear all his/her dues before leaving the college. The clearance/No dues certificate will be issued by the Accounts Department after the deposit of all outstanding dues.
- Tuition will not be adjusted against any other student dues.
- Security money will be refunded after completion of house job; however the outstanding dues (if any) will be deducted from the security money.
- The fee may be deposited in the following branches of ASKARI BANK LIMITED
- Fee in Pak Rupees may be deposited into Askari Bank booth located at Student Hub of FUIC.
- The Expatriate Students will deposit the dues in USD. The fee may be deposited through cross cheque/pay order in favour of Foundation University Islamabad. No cash will be collected by ACBL Adyala Road Branch as per instruction of the State Bank of Pakistan.
- If a student is removed from the college rolls on disciplinary/ administrative grounds the refund of the hostel dues will also become inadmissible.
- Re-admission fee Rs. 50,000/- shall be charged in case a Student’s name is struck off from the college rolls due to prolonged absence for more than 4 weeks.
Scholarships Foundation University Medical College (FUI)
Foundation University offers the following scholarships to its students:
Foundation Merit Scholarship (Pre-Admission Scholarship): This scholarship is one for students of the first semester and from second semester onwards students will have to compete with their fellows to obtain further scholarship.
Merit Scholarship (for Existing FURC Students): The students of undergraduate programs achieving distinctions in university examinations will be awarded merit scholarships with minimum SGPA equal or more than 3.50 out of 4.00 and minimum 75% attendance for all disciplines under semester system.
Need Based Merit Scholarship: This scholarship is awarded to needy students after detailed working by the Financial Assistance Committees (FACs) of FUI Campuses. Financial Assistance is initially granted for one academic year/semester and is revised at the end of academic year/semester.
A student shall be evaluated in each course on the basis of sessional tests, class assignments, quizzes, projects, labs, case studies and terminal examination. The distribution of marks will be as under:
Name of Examination
Sessional, Class Assignments, Quizzes, Projects etc
Graduate (MS/ PhD)
Assignments, term papers etc
Mid Term Exams
Midterm examination of minimum one and a half (1-½) hours duration for each course will be conducted on the date and time duly notified by the University.
The terminal examination of minimum of three hours duration for each course shall be conducted at the end of each semester on the dates to be fixed by the Controller of Examinations. Terminal paper shall include the entire syllabus taught during the semester.
A student shall be eligible to appear in the terminal examination provided that:
- He/She has been on the rolls of the department during that semester.
- Has registered himself/herself with the University and has cleared all the University dues.
- Has attended, 75% of the lectures/seminars and labs in each course. The student falling short of required percentage of attendance of lectures/ seminars / lab shall not be allowed to appear in the terminal examination of the concerned course and shall be treated as having failed in that course.
- A date-wise record of the attendance of students shall be maintained by each teacher.
Programs offered by Foundation University Medical College (FUI) Rawalpindi campus are the following:
- Bachelor of Science in Tafheem engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering
- Bachelor of Computer in Software Engineering
- Bachelor of Computer Science
- Bachelor of Business Administration (honors)
- Bachelor of Computer Arts
- Bachelor of Science in Media and Communication
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in English
- MS Management Sciences
- MS Computer Sciences
- MS English (Linguistics & Literature)
- MS Media Sciences
- Master of Business Administration (MBA 3.5 years)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA 1.5 years)
M.Phil and Ph.D programs
- PhD Computer Sciences
- PhD English
- PhD Management Sciences
- PhD Psychology
Programs offered by Foundation University Medical College (FUI) Rawalpindi are as follows:
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS)
- Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT)
Departments of Foundation University Medical College (FUI)
Departments in Foundation University Medical College (FUI) Islamabad are as follows:
Department of Basic Sciences
The department consists of tooth morphology and oral biology. Both of these are foundation courses in dentistry and are taught during the first year. The course consists of four components including Oral Histology, Oral Anatomy, Oral Physiology and Tooth Morphology.
Department of Oral Pathology
This course if taught during the third year of BDS and this department deals with nature, identification and management of diseases affecting the oral and maxillofacial region.
Department of Dental Materials
In this department students are provided with training to manipulate and use various dental materials.
Department of Community Dentistry
This department educates students on etiology, history and epidemiology of common dental diseases in order to prevent and control them.
Department of Clinical Sciences
This department consists of oral surgery and maxillofacial surgery. Oral and maxillofacial surgery (OMF) is a specialty of dentistry, which focuses on diagnosis and treatment of broad range of oral disorders affecting the facial skeleton.
Department of Orthodontics
It deals with diagnosis, prevention, and correction of malpositioned teeth and jaws.
Department of Orthodontics
This department deals with all types of artificial prosthesis of the head and neck, primarily jaws and teeth.
Department of Periodontics
The department includes prevention, diagnosis and treatment of periodontal diseases.
Department of Operative Dentistry
The department deals mainly with conservation and restoration of teeth utilizing different operative and endodontic procedures; such as fillings, inlays, crowns, direct/indirect pulp capping, surgical endodontic. Apart from this various esthetics procedures such as bleaching, direct and indirect veneering, and aesthetic crowning are carried out.
Department of Oral Medicine
The department deals with area of special competence in dentistry concerned mainly with diseases involving the oral and peri-oral structures, especially the oral mucosa and the oral manifestation of systemic diseases.
Societies at Foundation University Medical College (FUI)
1. Sports Adventure Society.
2. Society For Arts and Literature:
- Dramatic Club
- Music Singing Club
- Declamation/Debates Club
- Qirat & Naat Club
- Poetry Club
- Arts & Design Club
- Graphic Designing
- Manual Arts
3. Foundation University Volunteer Club
- Blood Donation
- Environmental Society
- Natural Disaster Relief Club
4. Self-Development Club
5. Professional forum
Foundation University Rawalpindi campus has about 18,000 books related to all the courses taught at the college. The reference section has a good number of reference books including encyclopedias and dictionaries. All books have been catalogued using a well-managed database. Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC) of FURC IRC has been provided on intranet for members to search books available in Library from their desktop. The library also contains 7 journals on Software Engineering, Telecommunication, Information Technology, Social Sciences & Liberal Arts and Management Sciences.
The digital library consists of the following:
EEE Digital Library: Online access to full text articles of IEEE Magazines / Journals
ACM Digital Library: Online access to full text articles of ACM Magazines / Journals
HEC Digital Library: Online access to abstracts and full text articles of Magazines / Journals of following publishers: –
TAYLOR & FRANCIS Journals
McGraw-Hill’s Access Science
McGraw- Hill’s Access Engineering
FREE MEDICAL JOURNALS
Internships Offered at Foundation University Medical College (FUI)
Organizations offering Internship to students of FURC for various departments:
- Askari Bank Ltd.
- Fauji Cement
- FF Head office, HR and Finance Department
- FFC, Rawalpindi
- FFBL, Karachi
- Habib Bank Ltd.
- National Bank of Pakistan
- MCB Ltd.
- Standard Chartered Bank
- Attock Refinery Ltd.
- Pakistan Oilfield Ltd.
- United Bank Ltd.
- Defense Housing Authority
- Army Welfare Trust Head office
- Radio Pakistan
- Pakistan Television
- All Leading Media Homes
And many more occasionally offering internship to our students.
Dr. Najeeb Lectures
As stated previously, there will be numerous times when self-studies will be required. There can be plenty of reasons for that i.e. you might have missed some lectures, or the teacher assigned to you might not be so good at delivering the lectures, or their way of delivering lectures might not match your way of learning. For that you can either ask Teacher’s Assistants or your fellow classmates to help but even that can fail at times. For such times, Dr. Najeeb’s Lectures will be your guiding star. Dr. Najeeb’s Lectures are the world’s most popular medical Lectures, covering all the topics of Gross Anatomy, Neuro-anatomy, Embryology, Histology, Physiology, Biochemistry, Genetics, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Immunology and Pathology. They are video lectures that cover almost all the topics in the current medical curriculum of most medical colleges. They contain visualization of what you study in your books. The hand-drawn illustrations in these lectures make it very easy to grasp the concepts. Furthermore, one can get a lifetime access to these lectures and even download the app to avail them anytime, anywhere.