Gujranwala Medical College (GMC)
About Gujranwala Medical College (GMC)
Gujranwala Medical College (GMC) was established in 2010 in Gunjranwala, a city in the province of Punjab, Pakistan. Gujranwala Medical College (GMC) is a constituent college of University of Health Sciences, Lahore. It is ranked as the 6th largest college in Pakistan. Gujranwala Medical College offers M.B.B.S as well as B.D.S.
Vision and Mission of Gujranwala Medical College (GMC)
GMC’s vision as a Medical institute is to be a remarkable college known for its medical excellence around the World regarding research, facilities, education and patient care.
Gujranwala Medical College (GMC)’s mission is to be one of the World’s best Medical Colleges which provide high quality teaching and excellence in education as well as generate outstanding leadership qualities in the doctors the institution nourishes and makes. Along with all this the institution aims to promote research as well as provide compassionate, patient-centered care of the highest quality.
Objectives of Gujranwala Medical College (GMC)
The objectives of Gujranwala Medical College are as follows:
- To effectively implement programs through creativity, innovation in teaching, learning and evaluation.
- To inculcate communication skills and scientific temperament among faculty and students through research oriented activities
- Enhance competency through knowledge and skills, reading and learning activities, continuous objective oriented student performance evaluation.
- Nurture professionalism and behavioral skills in medical professionals.
- Incorporate medical ethics, moral values, team spirit, responsibilities and sense of integrity in medical faculty and students.
- Ensure academic, career and personal counseling.
- Adopt transparency and accountability in academic and administrative activities.
- Develop, design and implement innovative and translational scientific discoveries.
- Discover, understand and improve the health of populations, communities and societies.
Admission Procedure at Gujranwala Medical College (GMC)
For the candidates applying following is the eligibility criteria:
- The applicant who is willing to appear in the MCAT examination must have passed the intermediate in the medical subjects, which are: Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Physics and English from any of the recognized college.
- For the above subjects the applicant must have passed them with 60% or more marks which makes the score at least 660 out of a total 1100 marks in the intermediate.
NOTE: These marks should be 60% excluding the additional marks awarded on the basis of Hafiz-e-Quran.
- The applicants who have passed their A-Levels examination under the Cambridge Board UK must also have 60% marks in all the major subjects and such applicants are being liable to submit their equivalence certificate which is being issued by the Inter-Board Committee of Chairmen (IBCC) Pakistan.
- The applicants who are having the Domicile of Punjab and Federal Capital Area; Islamabad, Azad Jammu and Kashmir and the applicants belonging to the province of Gilgit-Baltistan are being eligible to apply for the MCAT examination which is to be held in Punjab and they are also being prescribed to bring their Domicile with themselves as without it they will not be accommodated in the MCAT examination.
- The Pakistanis which have the dual nationality are necessarily required to appear in the SAT II examination before appearing in the MCAT. The applicants are being prescribed to obtain at least minimum 550 marks in the SAT II examination so that they can avail the admission under the seats which are being reserved for them under the Pakistan Technical Assistance Program (PTAP) and Self Finance Schemes (SFS).
- Application Form duly filled by the candidate.
- Original & 6 Photocopies of Secondary School Certificates (Matric Certificate) / O-Level along with Equivalence Certificates.
- Original & 6 Photocopies of Certificates / Detailed Marks of F.Sc. (Pre Medical) / A-Level along with Equivalence Certificates.
- Original & 6 Photocopies of Provisional / Certificate / Character of college last attended.
- Original & 6 Photocopies of Domicile Certificate.
- Six Photocopies of CNIC or B-Form.
- Ten latest passport size photographs (sky blue background) duly attested by Govt. Officer Grade-17 or above (one on front and rest on back).
- Six latest photos size (1×1), sky blue background.
- Original Board Migration Certificate / NOC in case of F.Sc. from Federal Board.
- Result Card of Entry Test (UHS).
- Surety Bond (specimen enclosed) on a stamp paper or worth Rs. 100/- duly attested by Notary Public and the 1st Class Magistrate.
- Affidavit declaration certificates by the parents / guardian on stamp paper Rs 100/- duly attested by Notary Public and 1st Class Magistrate.
- Undertaking agreement by the student on stamp paper Rs. 100/- duly attested by Notary Public and the 1st Class Magistrate.
- Certificate that you have been vaccinated against Tetanus, Measles, Mumps & Rubella.
- Certificate that you have been vaccinated against Tetanus, Measles, Mumps & Rubella and you have full course of immunization against Hepatitis “B” Virus
- Photocopy of SAT-II score.
- Photocopy of Passport.
After clearing the eligibility criteria the candidate has to appear for the UHS exam. UHS conducts the entrance exam once a year whose results are valid for a year. The candidate applying has to undergo the MDCAT test.
The test is of two and a half hours consisting of 220 MCQs which are divided into four sections, namely:
- Biology – (88 MCQs)
- Chemistry – (58 MCQs)
- Physics – (44 MCQs)
- English (General) – (30 MCQs)
For each correct answer the candidate is awarded 5 marks while for every wrong answer 1 mark is deducted. The maximum marks a candidate can score are 1100.
The test is conducted in 13 major cities of Pakistan which are as follows:
- Rahim Yar Khan
- G. Khan
- Hasan Abdal
The teaching hospital for Gujranwala Medical College is District Headquarter Hospital which has all specialties like Medical, Orthopedics, Pediatrics, Eye, Surgical, Gynecology, Urology, ENT, Neurosurgery, Cardiology and many more.
Departments of Gujranwala Medical College (GMC)
- Forensic Medicine
Medicine and Allied:
- Chest Medicine
- Pediatrics Med
- Physical Rehabilitation
- Preventive Pediatrics
Surgical and Allied:
- Cardiac Surgery
- And Gynecology
- Oral & Maxillo facial
- Pediatric Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Thoracic Surgery
The following programs are offered by GMC:
- MCPS and FCPS
- MPhil and PhD
- MSc in Medical Nutrition and Diabetics
Facilities at Gujranwala Medical College (GMC)
A new campus of Gujranwala Medical College having all basic sciences departments, offices, residences, staff colony & cafeteria and other necessary infrastructure is under progress.
A well-equipped IT Lab is available for the Academic Staff & Students. A full functional Library is also available where a series of essential books of famous authors exist. There are various societies / forums of students are functioning there like Students Welfare Society, Students Sport Club, Students Literary Society, Islamic Students Forum, Students State Cultural Wing & Students Event Management Society. The playground is also available for different sports activities on the campus.
Student Life at Gujranwala Medical College (GMC)
Firstly, if you make it this far, then congratulations! Because getting into a medical college is no less than a challenge, not only in Pakistan but all over the world too. And if you get selected in GMC then you are definitely one of the hard workers who deserve that their talent is groomed by one of the best professionals of medical industry. By intention of preparing you for the future we would like to point out that life at a medical college is not easy, may it be any medical college. Even the most intelligent and hardworking people sometimes find themselves frustrated and tangled in all the work along with extra-curricular activities. So to give you a heads up and a few guidelines on how to deal with basic issues that students may face in a medical college are listed below:
The hardest thing to do at not just a medical college but at any university is managing time. If you don’t get to it in your first few days, you will have to face a lot of extra hardships later on. To avoid that, in the first few days at your college, take a note of how things work, what processes are followed and what goes where etc. Once you get the gist of it all, make a rough schedule. Compartmentalize your work. Assign time to each task and try to complete it in the assigned time. The more you keep on your schedule the easier things will get.
Next, you should get used to making a daily to-do list. All the homework, assignment, or any other task that you get, should go into that to-do list with a due date. Use applications to set reminders to help you complete your work before the due date. What is even better is that you don’t leave the tasks to the last minute. Procrastination will have to wait. Getting to your tasks as soon as possible will help save you from a lot of future trouble. Keeping a list of all the tasks with their due dates and following a schedule regularly will make sure that you never miss a deadline.
As stated above, University or College life differs a lot from school life. Here, only attending lectures may not be enough. It will be required of a person to follow a proper schedule and set aside time for regular catching-up on studies. Sometimes a person finds themselves in a condition where lectures are just not helping them learn, what they can do is turn to either a friend or a TA for guidance. They should never consider this useless, or something that they may over come on their own, asking for help will actually get you help in these situations. Ask an intelligent class fellow to sit with you and help you study or conduct group study sessions, they have shown to work wonders. But never think that you have to go through this alone. Learn from others, ask them to teach you, and teach them yourself too, which can help with retaining your knowledge.
Dr. Najeeb Lectures
In the off-chance that you find yourself in a situation described above, and none of the above mentioned methods work, or even if you don’t feel like trying out all of them just yet, you can always go to Dr. Najeeb’s Lectures for help. These are video lectures which are a great source for self-studying. Dr. Najeeb’s Lectures are the world’s most popular medical Lectures, covering all the topics of Gross Anatomy, Neuro-anatomy, Embryology, Histology, Physiology, Biochemistry, Genetics, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Immunology and Pathology. These lectures cover almost all the topics in the current medical curriculum of most medical colleges. They contain visualization of what you study in your books. The hand-drawn illustrations in these lectures make it very easy to grasp the concepts. Furthermore, one can get a lifetime access to these lectures and even download the app to avail them anytime, anywhere.
From the tough competition, rigorous studying, constant exams, and all that hard work, it is necessary for you to take some time out for yourself. Self-care is very important if you wish to succeed at anything in life. So to relax and take some time off from all the hard work, it is required that you ease your mind. Find a hobby or anything that would qualify as extracurricular and take out some time from your busy schedule for this. You need to reward yourself for your continuous hardships. Apart from that it will help you have a fresh mind when you go back to your work so maybe you could learn better or come up with more creative things (whatever is required).
Best of luck!
Contact Information of Gujranwala Medical College (GMC)
Address: Alipur Chatha Rd, Gondlan Wala, Pakistan
Coordinate: 32.2051133, 74.120692
Phone: +92 55 6705801
E-mail Address: www.gmc.com.pk/
Monday: 8:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Tuesday: 8:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Wednesday: 8:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Thursday: 8:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Friday: 8:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Saturday: 8:00 AM – 2:00 PM