Human Eyeball Structure in 15 min.
Watch our Free video on brief structure of Human Eyeball
Layers of Human Eyeball:
Eye ball has three basic layers:
1. Outermost layer.
2. Middle layer.
3. Innermost layer.
Outermost Layer (Protective layer):
This layer has two parts:
1. Cornea: Anterior 1/6 area of the outermost layer is transparent called Cornea.
2. Sclera: Remaining posterior 5/6 of the outermost layer is made of white collagens called Sclera.
Middle Layer (Vascular layer, Uveal Tract):
-Inner to the sclera, there is a main vascular layer. It extends from posterior surface, i.e. posterior area ofeye ball to the anterior surface of the eye ball.It becomes thick as it approaches anteriorly, this thickened part is called Ciliary Body and the remainingvascular layer behind this thickened part is called Choroid.-Anterior most part of this layer is like diaphragm structure with central aperture, i.e. Pupil and thisdiaphragm like structure is called Iris.– Uveal Tract: This whole vascular layer having Choroid, Ciliary Body and iris is actually called UvealTract which is vascular pigmented middle layer of the eyeball.
Innermost Layer (Retina):
Inner most layer is called Retina, it has a lot of rods and cones. It terminates at Ora serrata.
Behind pupil there is a lens. Lens is attached by ligaments to ciliary body and these ligaments are calledZonules or Suspensory ligaments.
Behind the lens, there is vitreous body containing vitreous humor.
Blood Supply to Eyeball:
Blood is mainly supplied to eye ball by ophthalmic artery. This artery has following branches:
1. Central retinal artery: This artery enters through optic nerve and supplies retina.
2. Short posterior ciliary artery: This artery enters into eye ball outside the optic nerve andsupplies choroid, as it does not reach upto the anterior part and does not supply blood to ciliarybody and iris so it is called Short posterior ciliary artery.
3. Long posterior ciliary artery: This artery supplies blood to ciliary body and iris. The length ofthis artery is more than that of short posterior ciliary artery.
4. Anterior ciliary artery: This is the muscular branch of opthalamic artery and it enters into theeye ball from anterior part, making anastomosis with long posterior ciliary artery. It suppliesblood to ciliary body and iris.
Not a member? Sign up now to access 700+ videos on Basic Medical Sciences & Clinical Medicine. Free Access to new videos every week. Master Medical Sciences with crystal clear concepts.
About Dr. Najeeb Lectures.
Dr. Najeeb Lectures are the World’s Most Popular Medical Lectures. Our videos are being watched by millions of Medical, Dentistry, Nursing and Pharmacy students in over 100 countries.
We have 700+ videos on Anatomy, Neuroanatomy, Embryology, Histology, Physiology, Biochemistry, Genetics, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Immunology, Pathology and Clinical Medicine all recorded by Dr. Najeeb.
What makes us different?
We use hand-drawn illustrations to empower your learning process because we believe lasting knowledge results from clear concepts. Our videos are interactive and fun to watch so you don’t have to spend hours memorizing.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, we have integrated that philosophy in our every lecture. We are Revolutionizing Medical Education through hand-drawn illustrations. One concept at a time.