INSTITUTE OF MEDICAL SCIENCES, BANARAS HINDU UNIVERSITY
ABOUTInstitute of Medical Sciences (IMS) is located in Varanasi, the oldest living city in the world. Medical education was introduced in the 1920s in Varanasi by Banaras Hindu University. A department of Ayurvedic was set up under the Faculty of Oriental Learning and Theology which was then transformed into a college. In 1960 this college was converted to the College of Medical Sciences. The college started off with 9 departments in Modern Medicine and 1 in Indian Medicine. Click here to visit their official website. The institutes Medical Training is recognized by the General Medical Council, UK, and Medical Council of India. The university’s aim is to provide the best educational exposure to their doctors in training as well as specialized doctors. Institute of Medical Sciences (IMS) also aims to serve the public with its infrastructure, health care equipment, supported by the country’s best experts, rivaling those all around the world.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIAInstitute of Medical Sciences (IMS) offers various programs and their eligibility is as follows:
|1. MBBS 2. BAMS||Candidate must have passed Intermediate Science/Pre-Medical Course/12 years of 10+2 or equivalent examination with at least 50% marks (40% in case of SC/ST candidates) in English, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology took together. Candidates appearing in the qualifying examination may also apply.|
|1. BSc (Nursing) 2. BPharma (Ayurveda) 3. BOT 4. BPT||Candidate must have qualified 10+2 or equivalent with science subjects (Physics, Chemistry. Biology) and English from a recognized Board / University with at least 50% (40% for OBC/SC/ST & 45% for PC in General Category) aggregate marks (PCBE) for the General Category.|
|MD||Candidate must have passed the MBBS course recognized by the Medical Council of India and completed one-year internship training to be eligible to appear in the entrance examination. Those candidates who have already done or doing MD/MS course are not eligible.|
|MDS||Candidate must have passed the BDS course recognized by the Dental Council of India and completed one-year Internship training to be eligible to appear in the entrance examination.|
|MD Ayurveda/ MS Ayurveda||Candidate must have passed BAMS coursed recognized by CCIM and completed six months House Job (in the case of 5 years BAMS Course) or one year House Job (in the case of 41/2years BAMS Course) to be eligible to appear in the entrance examination. Candidates who have passed the MBBS course recognized by the Medical Council of India and have completed one-year internship training are eligible too to appear in the entrance examination for admission under the supernumerary category.|
|MPharm (Ayurveda)||Candidates must have qualified BPharm (Ay.) from a recognized University with a minimum of 50% marks in aggregate|
ADMISSION TESTThe admission test for the Institute of Medical Sciences (IMS) is conducted through National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test (NEET) which is three hours long and all questions are objective. The paper consists of Physics, Chemistry, Botany, and Zoology and is conducted in English, Hindi, Tamil, Assamese, Oriya, Kannada, Bengali, Gujarati, Marathi, Urdu, and Telugu. The question distribution is as follows:
|SECTION||NO. OF QUESTIONS|
APPLICATION PROCEDUREStudents applying for the Institute of Medical Sciences (IMS) should register themselves in NEET counseling which takes place online and in two rounds. The counseling will be conducted as follows:
- Candidate must register to the official website of NEET
- Choice Filling and Locking (Round 1): Candidate will have to choose the courses and colleges of preference and finally lock-in the preferences in the online portal
- Seat Allotment Result (Round 1): Seat allotment will be published online on the basis of available vacancies and candidate’s choices
- Reporting to college: Those who will be allotted a seat in the first round, will be required to either reject the allotted seat or report to the allotted college and complete the admission formalities
- New Registration (Round 2): For candidates who couldn’t register in the first round of counseling
- Fresh Choice Filling and Locking (Round 2): Similar to round 1 as mentioned above.
- Seat Allotment Result (Round 2): Similar to round 1 as mentioned above.
- Reporting to college (Round 2): Candidates who will be allotted a seat in the s round of counseling (15% AQI Quota) will not be permitted to vacate their seats as per the orders made by the Supreme court of India.
- Admission Process for Specific Courses
Documents RequiredCandidates who will be allotted a seat at this college will be asked to report with the following documents to complete the admission formalities.
- Admit Card
- Scorecard or Rank Letter
- Class 10 certificate and mark sheet (for date of birth)
- Class 12 certificate and mark sheet
- ID proof (Aadhar/PAN Card/Driving License/Passport)
- Eight passport size photographs
- Provisional Allotment Letter
- Caste Certificate (if applicable)
- PwD Certificate (if applicable)
- Dental Science
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Community Medicine
- Dermatology and Venereology
- Endocrinology and Metabolism
- Forensic Medicine
- Kaumar Bharitya
- Kriya Sharir
- Molecular Biology
- Medicinal Chemistry
- Prasuti Tantra
- Rachna Sharir
- Neuro Surgery
- Rasa Shastra
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Samhita and Sanskrit
- Shalkya Tantra
- Shalya Shalkya
- Sidhant Darshan
- Pediatrics Surgery
- Vikriti Vigyan
- Plastic Surgery
- Radio Diagnosis
- Radiotherapy & Radiation
- Surgical Oncology
- General Surgery
- TB and Respiratory Disease
COURSESInstitute of Medical Sciences (IMS) offers various courses which are:
- G Diploma course in the Lab. Technology under the Pathology Department of Faculty of Medicine.
- G Diploma course in Dialysis Therapy under the Nephrology Department of Faculty of Medicine.
- G Diploma course in Medical Technology under the Radiotherapy, Radiation Medicine Department of Faculty of Medicine.
- Certificate Course in the Intensive Care under the Anaesthesiology Department of Faculty of Medicine.
- Post Doctoral Certificate Course in the Pain and Palliative Care under the Anaesthesiology Department of Faculty of Medicine.
- G Diploma course in Panchkarma Therapy under the Kayachikitsa Department of Faculty of Ayurveda.
- G Diploma course in the Ayurvedic Drug Standardization under the Dravya Guna Department of Faculty of Ayurveda.
- G Diploma course in Maternal Health Care under the Prasuti Tantra Department of Faculty of Ayurveda.
- G Diploma in Neonatal and Child Care under the Prasuti Tantra Department of Faculty of Ayurveda.
- G Diploma Course in Kshar Karma under the Shalya Shalakya Department of Faculty of Ayurveda.
- G Diploma Course in Vikiran and Chhaya under the Shalya Shalakya Department of Faculty of Ayurveda.
- Part-Time Certificate Course in the Prasav Vigyan under the Prasuti Tantra Department of Faculty of Ayurveda.
- Full-Time Diploma Course in Naturopathy and Yoga Therapy with the 6 months of internship in Rajiv Gandhi South Campus, Barkachha under the Faculty of Ayurveda.
- Pharma Degree Course in Ayurveda Department at the South Campus, Barkachha.
- MBBS degree course of 5 and half years including a one-year internship.
- D./M.S. degree courses in all the major specialties.
- Post-Doctoral courses like DM/MCh.
- BAMS degree course of 5 ad half years including a one-year internship.
- Postgraduate courses like MD (Ay)/MS (Ay) in all the major specialties of Ayurveda.
SIR SUNDERLAL HOSPITALThis is the teaching hospital of the Institute of Medical Sciences (IMS) which was established in 1924 and started off as a 96 bedded hospital. Now it is six stories high and has 1200 beds. The hospital fulfills the health care needs of more than 20 million people and offers health care facilities to its students and teaching faculty as well. Some of the services offered by the hospital are:
- Panch Karma Therapy Centre.
- Labour Room Services with the Navajaat Shishu Paricharya.
- Operation Theatre for Shalya, Shalakya and Prasuti Tantra.
- Modern pathological laboratory for both OPD and IPD patients for diagnostic tests and investigations.
- Radiological services of X-ray and Ultrasonography for Radio-Diagnosis purposes.
- Ayurvedic pharmacy and dispensary.
- Coronary care unit in the ward of Kaya Chikitsa.
- Side pharmacy facility is there for distributing free ayurvedic drugs to the patients.
- A kitchen facility in order to offer a free diet and milk to poor patients.
FEE STRUCTUREThe estimated fee of some of the courses offered at the Institute of Medical Sciences (IMS) is as follows:
|COURSE||FEE PER YEAR|
SCHOLARSHIPSThe scholarships recognize the merit and talent of students. Students may apply for the Scholarships at the beginning of the academic year. College may offer a scholarship to a deserving candidate under the following categories.
- College / University Merit Scholarships.
- Students belonging to the economically weaker sections may ask for fee concession (*depends on the college administrations).
- Merit cum means based scholarships are also awarded by the college to deserving students.
- Merit & National Scholarships for brilliant students under Central & State Govt.