INSTITUTE OF MEDICAL SCIENCES, BANARAS HINDU UNIVERSITY
Institute of Medical Sciences (IMS) is located in Varanasi, the oldest living city of the world. Medical education was introduced in the 1920s in Varanasi by Banaras Hindu University. A department of Ayurvedic was set up under Faculty of Oriental Learning and Theology which was then transformed into a college. In 1960 this college was converted to the College of Medical Sciences. The college started off with 9 departments in Modern Medicine and 1 in Indian Medicine. Click here to visit their official website.
The institutes Medical Training is recognized by General Medical Council, UK and Medical Council of India.
The university’s aim is to provide the best educational exposure to their doctors in training as well as specialized doctors. Institute of Medical Sciences (IMS) also aims to serve the public with its infrastructure, health care equipment, supported by the country’s best experts, rivaling those all around the world.
Institute of Medical Sciences (IMS) offers various programs and their eligibility is as follows:
Candidate must have passed Intermediate Science/Pre-Medical Course/12 year of 10+2 or equivalent examination with at least of 50% marks (40% in case of SC/ST candidates) in English, Physics, Chemistry and Biology taken together. Candidates appearing in the qualifying examination may also apply.
1. BSc (Nursing)
2. BPharma (Ayurveda)
Candidate must have qualified 10+2 or equivalent with science subjects (Physics, Chemistry. Biology) and English from a recognized Board / University with at least 50% (40% for OBC/SC/ST & 45% for PC in General Category) aggregate marks (PCBE) for the General Category.
Candidate must have passed MBBS course recognized by the Medical Council of India and completed one year internship training to be eligible to appear in the entrance examination. Those candidates who have already done or doing MD/MS course are not eligible.
Candidate must have passed BDS course recognized by the Dental Council of India and completed one year Internship training to be eligible to appear in the entrance examination.
MD Ayurveda/ MS Ayurveda
Candidate must have passed BAMS coursed recognized by CCIM and completed six months House Job (in the case of 5 years BAMS Course) or one year House Job (in the case of 41/2years BAMS Course) to be eligible to appear in the entrance examination. Candidates who have passed MBBS course recognized by Medical Council of India and have completed one year internship training are eligible too to appear in the entrance examination for admission under supernumerary category.
Candidates must have qualified BPharm (Ay.) from a recognized University with a minimum of 50% marks in aggregate
The admission test for Institute of Medical Sciences (IMS) is conducted through National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test (NEET) which is three hours long and all questions are objective. The paper consists of Physics, Chemistry, Botany and Zoology and is conducted in English, Hindi, Tamil, Assamese, Oriya, Kannada, Bengali, Gujarati, Marathi, Urdu, and Telugu.
The question distribution is as follows:
NO. OF QUESTIONS
Each question is worth four marks and so the paper is of 720 marks. There is negative marking as well, for every wrong answer one mark will be deducted. Negative marking will also be done with one question will have multiple answers.
Students applying for Institute of Medical Sciences (IMS) should register themselves in NEET counseling which takes place online and in two rounds.
The counseling will be conducted as follows:
- Candidate must register to the official website of NEET
- Choice Filling and Locking (Round 1): Candidate will have to choose the courses and colleges of preference and finally lock-in the preferences in the online portal
- Seat Allotment Result (Round 1): Seat allotment will be published online on the basis of available vacancies and candidate’s choices
- Reporting to college: Those who will be allotted a seat in the first round, will be required to either reject the allotted seat or report to the allotted college and complete the admission formalities
- New Registration (Round 2): For candidates who couldn’t register in the first round of counseling
- Fresh Choice Filling and Locking (Round 2): Similar to round 1 as mentioned above.
- Seat Allotment Result (Round 2): Similar to round 1 as mentioned above.
- Reporting to college (Round 2): Candidates who will be allotted a seat in the s round of counseling (15% AQI Quota) will not be permitted to vacate their seats as per the orders made by the Supreme court of India.
- Admission Process for Specific Courses
Candidates who will be allotted a seat to this college will be asked to report with following documents to complete the admission formalities.
- Admit Card
- Scorecard or Rank Letter
- Class 10 certificate and mark sheet (for date of birth)
- Class 12 certificate and mark sheet
- ID proof (Aadhar/PAN Card/Driving License/Passport)
- Eight passport size photographs
- Provisional Allotment Letter
- Caste Certificate (if applicable)
- PwD Certificate (if applicable)
- Dental Science
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Community Medicine
- Dermatology and Venereology
- Endocrinology and Metabolism
- Forensic Medicine
- Kaumar Bharitya
- Kriya Sharir
- Molecular Biology
- Medicinal Chemistry
- Prasuti Tantra
- Rachna Sharir
- Neuro Surgery
- Rasa Shastra
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Samhita and Sanskrit
- Shalkya Tantra
- Shalya Shalkya
- Sidhant Darshan
- Pediatrics Surgery
- Vikriti Vigyan
- Plastic Surgery
- Radio Diagnosis
- Radiotherapy & Radiation
- Surgical Oncology
- General Surgery
- TB and Respiratory Disease
Institute of Medical Sciences (IMS) offers various courses which are:
- G Diploma course in the Lab. Technology under the Pathology Department of Faculty of Medicine.
- G Diploma course in Dialysis Therapy under the Nephrology Department of Faculty of Medicine.
- G Diploma course in Medical Technology under the Radiotherapy, Radiation Medicine Department of Faculty of Medicine.
- Certificate Course in the Intensive Care under the Anaesthesiology Department of Faculty of Medicine.
- Post Doctoral Certificate Course in the Pain and Palliative Care under the Anaesthesiology Department of Faculty of Medicine.
- G Diploma course in Panchkarma Therapy under the Kayachikitsa Department of Faculty of Ayurveda.
- G Diploma course in the Ayurvedic Drug Standardization under the Dravya Guna Department of Faculty of Ayurveda.
- G Diploma course in Maternal Health Care under the Prasuti Tantra Department of Faculty of Ayurveda.
- G Diploma in Neonatal and Child Care under the Prasuti Tantra Department of Faculty of Ayurveda.
- G Diploma Course in Kshar Karma under the Shalya Shalakya Department of Faculty of Ayurveda.
- G Diploma Course in Vikiran and Chhaya under the Shalya Shalakya Department of Faculty of Ayurveda.
- Part Time Certificate Course in the Prasav Vigyan under the Prasuti Tantra Department of Faculty of Ayurveda.
- Full Time Diploma Course in Naturopathy and Yoga Therapy with the 6 months of internship in Rajiv Gandhi South Campus, Barkachha under the Faculty of Ayurveda.
- Pharma Degree Course in Ayurveda Department at the South Campus, Barkachha.
- MBBS degree course of 5 and half years including one year internship.
- D./M.S. degree courses in all the major specialties.
- Post-Doctoral courses like DM/MCh.
- BAMS degree course of 5 ad half years including one year internship.
- Postgraduate courses like MD (Ay)/MS (Ay) in all the major specialties of Ayurveda.
SIR SUNDERLAL HOSPITAL
This is the teaching hospital of Institute of Medical Sciences (IMS) which was established in 1924 and started off as a 96 bedded hospital. Now it is six stories high and has 1200 beds. The hospital fulfils health care needs of more than 20 Million people and offers health care facilities to its students and teaching faculty as well.
Some of the services offered by the hospital are:
- Panch Karma Therapy Centre.
- Labour Room Services with the Navajaat Shishu Paricharya.
- Operation Theatre for Shalya, Shalakya and Prasuti Tantra.
- Modern pathological laboratory for both OPD and IPD patients for diagnostic tests and investigations.
- Radiological services of X-ray and Ultrasonography for the Radio-Diagnosis purposes.
- Ayurvedic pharmacy and dispensary.
- Coronary care unit in the ward of Kaya Chikitsa.
- Side pharmacy facility is there for distributing the free ayurvedic drugs to the patients.
- A kitchen facility in order to offer the free diet and milk to the poor patients.
The estimated fee of some of the courses offered at Institute of Medical Sciences (IMS) is as follows:
FEE PER YEAR
The scholarships recognize merit and talent of students. Students may apply for the Scholarships at the beginning of the academic year. College may offer a scholarship to a deserving candidate under the following categories.
- College / University Merit Scholarships.
- Students belonging to the economically weaker sections may ask for fee concession (*depends on the college administrations).
- Merit cum means based scholarships are also awarded by the college to deserving students.
- Merit & National Scholarships for brilliant students under Central & State Govt.
Important Note: The amount of scholarship to be given or the decision of scholarship to be grant is solely under the consideration of college administration.
The campus lies in the front part of the university and has well-groomed, lush green gardens as well as various facilities for the students and the faculty. IMS believes that students should have a healthy balance between studies as well as extra-curricular activities to freshen up their minds. They have top notch sports facilities as well as many committees and societies for students who are not into sports.
Apart from this there is a well-equipped library on the campus as well anti-ragging helpline to discourage bullying.
The library runs round the clock within the university system. It is air-conditioned, has internet facility and has reading rooms if students want to conduct group study. There is a photocopy facility as well. IMS library also provides access to many up to date E-Journals.
The institute provides state of the art sports facilities to its students. There is an open Badminton court, open lawn Tennis, Carom boards, Chess, Cricket ground, Football ground, Basketball court and Volleyball court.
There is a gymnasium as well with all types of workout machinery as well as trainers.
PHOTO ART UNIT
It was established in 1962 and plays a vital role in assisting in teaching, research and audio-visual facilities. There is a photography unit as well which is engaged in clinical photography, Macro and Photomicrography, fluorescence photography etc.
The audio-visual unit which comes under this provides projection in classes, seminars, conferences and clinical meetings. The auditorium also comes under this unit.
ANIMAL CARE UNIT
This unit was established to cater the needs of various departments of the institute. Colonies of mice, rats, guinea pigs, rabbits etc are raised for experimental purposes all the while keeping the basic ethics and animal rights in place.
There are many other facilities such as cafeteria, common rooms, medical unit, transportation facilities and hotel facilities for the students.
THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND
After getting into Institute of Medical Sciences (IMS) there are many things that need to be kept in mind from the beginning. Things are going to change drastically as university life is a roller coaster ride with its ups and downs. Fear not! These experiences are what change you and shape you into a better and more mature human being. Here are some tips on how to cope up with university life
Manage your time:
To remain on top and get by in this world you need to remain à la mode on everything. However that is much easier said than done. A considerable measure of work can go to waste, due dates can be missed, marks can be lost and it can even influence your well-being if an appropriate timetable isn’t shaped and taken after. The best way to avoid this is to sort out your work from the get-go. The moment studies begin you have to begin sorting out your work according to their significance and effect. Attempt to get each task done at the earliest opportunity.
Similarly, as no two individuals can have comparable educational encounters, no two students can have the same clinical experience. Your experience will be what you make of it. Remember that whatever you learn isn’t to be overlooked. You are deciding on a vocation that requires maintenance of learning for a lifetime. To take a gander at the fleeting perspectives, what you learn will be there again in your finals, and again amid residency when you begin treating real patients. So whatever you learn, ensure you comprehend it totally now, casual look-ups are fine to jock up your memory when required. However in the event that you don’t comprehend the idea, you should understand it within the near future.
Dr. Najeeb Lectures:
Not at all like school, college requires a ton of self-contemplating and may not be as natural as you’d like. There will be a lot of occasions where self-improvement will be required. The teachers will only be able to convey so much knowledge to you. In some cases the conditions could request a little diligent work from your end. For instance the instructor appointed to you will most likely be unable to impart knowledge as effectively, or their techniques aren’t like those you’re accustomed to. At times like these one can only resort to taking help from either a friend or the internet. That’s where Dr. Najeeb Lectures come in. Dr. Najeeb Lectures provides students with a vast number of videos lectures on almost all the courses in current curriculum of medical colleges, providing content on the subject of Gross Anatomy, Neuro-anatomy, Embryology, Histology, Physiology, Biochemistry, Genetics, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Immunology, and Pathology. The video lectures offer perception of the material that you learn about in course books thus making it a lot less demanding to understand it. They additionally contain hand drawn illustrations of well-ordered procedures which help in maintenance of information. Furthermore, you can get lifetime access to and download their application making them accessible whenever, anyplace.
For the duration of your life, you will get the chance to meet new and diverse individuals. Think about your life at this school as a preparation for that. Here as well, you will meet diverse sort of individuals. You should figure out how to assess a person; it will be for your own good. Avoid trouble and steer clear of bad influences. Regardless of whether you wind up having bad experiences with a few, don’t get your expectations down or detach yourself, rather think of it as an exercise and proceed onward.
Studies can be intense and depleting. It might feel like there’s no end to it. So it is imperative to keep yourself spurred and centered by compensating yourself for all the exertion you’ve put in. Find distinctive approaches to unwind yourself now and again. Take up a game, locate a decent book or simply kick back and unwind. Nobody can work constantly without wearing out. Understand that med school isn’t a dash yet a marathon.