Kasturba medical college – KMC
AboutKasturba medical college – KMC, Manipal, was established in 1953 by Dr. Tonse Madhav Ananth Pai. It was the first self-financed medical college in the private sector of India, affiliated to Manipal University. Kasturba medical college – KMC has been ranked among the top ten medical colleges in India. It is located in Manipal, Karnataka. Kasturba medical college – KMC is recognized by the following for both, running MBBS course and Postgraduate programs:
- Medical Council of India
- Malaysian Medical Council
- Australian Medical Council
- General Medical Council, UK
Missions and Objectives:Kasturba medical college – KMC aims to achieve the following goals through training the future physicians of the world through the best guidance and practices:
- Providing quality professional medical education to every student who joins Kasturba medical college – KMC, Manipal to facilitate his overall growth is the prime objective of the institution.
- The mission of Kasturba medical college – KMC, Manipal is “to train competent, compassionate and carrying physicians through excellence in teaching and patient care”.
- The entire team of management, the faculty, staff, and the support employees, with the best of the available infrastructure facilities, has been working towards achieving the mission of Kasturba medical college – KMC.
Undergraduate:For undergraduates, Kasturba medical college – KMC offers the MBBS course and Medical (UG) electives.
Postgraduate:The course for Postgraduate degree is 3 years long and the Postgraduate diploma is 2 years long. Below is the list of all courses offered by Kasturba medical college – KMC: MS
- MS Master of Surgery
- MSc Clinical Embryology
- MSc Yoga Therapy
- PG Medical Diploma
- MD – Post-graduation in Medicine
- MSc in Forensic Science
- DM – Super Specialty Program
- Ph.D. Doctoral Degree
- Advanced Training Program in Clinical Genetics
- Advanced Training Program in Diabetes Care
- MCh – Super Specialty Program
- MPhil – Super Specialty Program
- PG Certificate Course in Panchakarma
- Certificate Course in Panchakarma Technician & Massage Therapist
- PG Certificate Course in Panchakarma
Eligibility Criteria:For a candidate to qualify for application of admission to Kasturba medical college – KMC, the following are the requirements:
- The applicant must have passed 10+2 / A level / IB / American 12th grade or any equivalent with Physics, Chemistry, Biology / Biotechnology, and English as majors from a recognized board.
- The applicants must have secured at least 50% marks in all the science subjects combined with the qualifying examination.
- A No Objection Certificate from the Department of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, New Delhi.
- ‘Equivalence Certificate’ from Association of Indian Universities, New Delhi who will equate their qualifications as equivalent to the 10+2 of India.
- A Student Visa.
- A Residential Certificate.
- The applicant applying for the Postgraduate programs should have passed the MBBS examination from a recognized Medical college that is affiliated to any University recognized by the MCI.
- The applicants must have completed a year of Compulsory Rotating Internship in a Medical institute recognized by the MCI.
- The selection of applicants will be solely on valid rank obtained in the National Eligibility Entrance Test (NEET).
- Foreign applicants must be registered practitioners in the country from where they have obtained their degree and are required to obtain a temporary registration certificate from the Medical Council of India.
|MS Orthopedics (For Diploma holders)||4,800,000|
|MS (General Surgery, OBG, Ophthalmology, Oto-Rhino-Laryngology)||6,300,000|
|MS (General Surgery, OBG, Ophthalmology, Oto-Rhino-Laryngology)(For Diploma Holders)||4,200,000|
Application Process:Applicants looking for admission in different degree and diploma programs offered by Kasturba medical college – KMC are required to enroll and appear in the respective exams. To apply for Kasturba medical college – KMC, the candidate needs to follow the succeeding steps:
- Visit the institute to obtain their prospectus along with the application form by paying the application fee.
- Fill in the form very carefully and mention the courses of interest to get admitted to.
- Attach the required documents with the form.
- Submit the completed form to the admissions office.
Required Documents:The following documents (as required by the candidate’s chosen degree) should be attached with the application form:
- Metric and 10+2 marks sheet and passing certificate.
- Bachelor’s degree and mark sheet.
- Entrance exam admits card and scorecard.
- MBBS mark sheet and degree.
- Migration Certificate.
- Character Certificate.
- Caste Certificate (if applicable).
- Registration as a Medical Practitioner.
- Equivalence Certificate(if applicable).
Important dates:These dates are according to the year 2018:
|Entry Test Name||Application Start Date||Application End Date||Exam Date|
|NEET||February 8||March 12||May 6|
|NEET PG||September 26||November 27||January 7|
Facilities:Kasturba Medical College, Manipal believes in providing its students with unmatched facilities, to make available an environment which is not only comprised of elementary necessities but the best possible to help them become the most competitive and accomplished physicians. Kasturba medical college – KMC believes that their students have an important role to play in the future as the member of society, thus giving them the first-rate experience is KMCs’ one of the most important goals. The Institute provides unsurpassed infrastructural facilities to improve the quality of education at Kasturba medical college – KMC. Complementing the services at the campus are well-equipped labs, classrooms, internet access along many more.
Library:The Kasturba medical college – KMC Manipal Health Sciences Library was established in 1953 as a Central Library and was later moved to an independent building at DR T.M.A Research Centre in 1983. This library perhaps is the best in the country, is spread over 13,950 sq. meters. The library is consistent with a seating capacity of 1207 students at a time. The digital section of the library provides access to a range of databases on the campus network, e-resources, and OPAC-related access to its vast collection.
Library Sections:The Library at Kasturba medical college – KMC contains the following sections:
- Staff reading room.
- Interns reading room.
- Rooms for librarians and other staff.
- Microfilm reading, Video, and audio L C D. Projector room.
- Current journal room.
- The back volume of periodicals room.
- Air-conditioned computer room with Medlar & internet facility.
- Undergraduate Section.
- Group Discussion rooms.
- Individual Study rooms.
Library Facilities:Kasturba medical college – KMC Library provides the following facilities: Library e-Resources including:
- BMJ Best Practice opinion
- Journal Citation Reports (JCR)
- CINAHL Plus with Full Text
- Science Direct (Health Sciences Collection)
- Online Journal of Various Publishers
- J-Gate (Portal with Largest Number of Biomedical Sciences e-journals)
Library Services:Kasturba medical college – KMC library provides its users with the following services: Document Circulation service: The books are issued to Interns, Postgraduate Students, Research Scholars and Faculty Members. Bound/unbound journals, audio-visual materials, and CD-ROMs are for in-house use only. . Reference Service: References Services is a personal aid provided to the user by the library staff in interpreting library collection for study and research. The Library staff assists users to locate the needed information from the available information resources. On the basis of the collection, the library provides services to its users. Photocopy Service: Through these services, the library provides photocopies of articles from journals and books to the users as and when requested further users can also send and receive Fax messages from the library. Current Awareness Services: The library has used four main ways to help health sciences professionals keep abreast of the latest information.
- Telephone call
- Displays of new books and journals
- Productions of library publications, i.e. new acquisition list
- Internet browsing and online journal access.
- Facilities for preparing presentation materials such as slides, transparencies, and color scanning
- Assisting the students and faculty members for editing projects/thesis, data analysis, setting the file to the required quality of print and printing.
- Color scanning CD writing, with laser printing and DOT matrix printing.