Kasturba medical college – KMC
Kasturba medical college – KMC, Manipal, was established in 1953 by Dr. Tonse Madhav Ananth Pai. It was the first self-financed medical college in the private sector of India, affiliated to Manipal University. Kasturba medical college – KMC has been ranked among the top ten medical colleges in India. It is located in Manipal, Karnataka.Click here to know more about their official website.
Kasturba medical college – KMC is recognized by the following for both, running MBBS course and Postgraduate programs:
- Medical Council of India
- Malaysian Medical Council
- Australian Medical Council
- General Medical Council, UK
Missions and Objectives:
Kasturba medical college – KMC aims to achieve the following goals through training the future physicians of the world through the best guidance and practices:
- Providing quality professional medical education to every student who joins Kasturba medical college – KMC, Manipal to facilitate his overall growth is the prime objective of the institution.
- The mission of Kasturba medical college – KMC, Manipal is “to train competent, compassionate and carrying physicians through excellence in teaching and patient care”.
- The entire team of management, the faculty, staff and the support employees, with the best of the available infrastructure facilities, has been working towards achieving the mission of Kasturba medical college – KMC.
For undergraduates, Kasturba medical college – KMC offers the MBBS course and Medical (UG) electives.
The course for Postgraduate degree is 3 years long and the Postgraduate diploma is 2 years long.
Below is the list of all courses offered by Kasturba medical college – KMC:
- MS Master of Surgery
- MSc Clinical Embryology
- MSc Yoga Therapy
- PG Medical Diploma
- MD – Post-graduation in Medicine
- MSc in Forensic Science
- DM – Super Specialty Program
- PhD Doctoral Degree
- Advanced Training Program in Clinical Genetics
- Advanced Training Program in Diabetes Care
- MCh – Super Specialty Program
- MPhil – Super Specialty Program
- PG Certificate Course in Panchakarma
- Certificate Course in Panchakarma Technician & Massage Therapist
- PG Certificate Course in Panchakarma
For a candidate to qualify for application of admission to Kasturba medical college – KMC, following are the requirements:
- The applicant must have passed 10+2 / A level / IB / American 12th grade or any equivalent with Physics, Chemistry, Biology / Biotechnology and English as majors from a recognized board.
- The applicants must have secured at least 50% marks in all the science subjects combined of the qualifying examination.
The lower age limit is of 17 years on the 31st December of the year of admission.
Foreign applicants are required to submit the following:
- A No Objection Certificate from the Department of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, New Delhi.
- ‘Equivalence Certificate’ from Association of Indian Universities, New Delhi who will equate their qualifications as equivalent to the 10+2 of India.
- A Student Visa.
- A Residential Certificate.
The selection of candidates is solely conducted on the basis of the valid rank obtained in the National Eligibility Entrance Test (NEET) 2020 and through centralized common counseling conducted by DGHS.
- The applicant applying for the Postgraduate programs should have passed the MBBS examination from a recognized Medical college that is affiliated to any University recognized by the MCI.
- The applicants must have completed a year of Compulsory Rotating Internship in a Medical institute recognized by the MCI.
The applicant must have registered their MBBS degree with their respective State Medical Council.
- The selection of applicants will be solely on valid rank obtained in the National Eligibility Entrance Test (NEET).
- Foreign applicants must be registered practitioners in the country from where they have obtained their degree and are required to obtain a temporary registration certificate from Medical Council of India.
MS Orthopedics (For Diploma holders)
MS (General Surgery, OBG, Ophthalmology,
MS (General Surgery, OBG, Ophthalmology, Oto-Rhino-Laryngology)(For Diploma Holders)
Applicants looking for admission in different degree and diploma programs offered by Kasturba medical college – KMC are required to enroll and appear in the respective exams. To apply for Kasturba medical college – KMC, the candidate needs to follow the succeeding steps:
- Visit the institute to obtain their prospectus along with the application form by paying the application fee.
- Fill in the form very carefully and mention the courses of interest to get admitted to.
- Attach the required documents with the form.
- Submit the completed form to the admissions office.
The following documents (as required by candidate’s chosen degree) should be attached with the application form:
- Metric and 10+2 marks sheet and passing certificate.
- Bachelor’s degree and mark sheet.
- Entrance exam admit card and score card.
- MBBS mark sheet and degree.
- Migration Certificate.
- Character Certificate.
- Caste Certificate (if applicable).
- Registration as Medical Practitioner.
- Equivalence Certificate(if applicable).
These dates are according to the year 2018:
Entry Test Name
Application Start Date
Application End Date
Kasturba Medical College, Manipal believes in providing its students with the unmatched facilities, to make available an environment which is not only comprised of elementary necessities but the best possible to help them become the most competitive and accomplished physicians. Kasturba medical college – KMC believes that their students have an important role to play in the future as the member of society, thus giving them the first-rate experience is KMCs’ one of the most important goals.
The Institute provides with the unsurpassed infrastructural facilities to improve the quality of education at Kasturba medical college – KMC. Complementing the services at campus are well equipped labs, classrooms, internet access along with many more.
The Kasturba medical college – KMC Manipal Health Sciences Library was established in 1953 as a Central Library and was later moved to an independent building at DR T.M.A Research Centre in 1983. This library perhaps is the best in the country, is spread over 13,950 sq. meters. Library is consistent of a seating capacity of 1207 students at a time. The digital section of library provides access to a range of databases on the campus network, e-resources, and OPAC-related access to its vast collection.
The Library at Kasturba medical college – KMC contains the following sections:
- Staff reading room.
- Interns reading room.
- Rooms for librarian and other staff.
- Microfilm reading, Video and audio L C D. Projector room.
- Current journals room.
- Back volume of periodicals room.
- Air conditioned computer room with Medlar & internet facility.
- Undergraduate Section.
- Group Discussion rooms.
- Individual Study rooms.
Kasturba medical college – KMC Library provides the following facilities:
Library e-Resources including:
- BMJ Best Practice opinion
- Journal Citation Reports (JCR)
- CINAHL Plus with Full Text
- Science Direct (Health Sciences Collection)
- Online Journal of Various Publishers
- J-Gate (Portal with Largest Number of Biomedical Sciences e-journals)
Kasturba medical college – KMC library provides its users with the following services:
Document Circulation serice:
The books are issued to Interns, Postgraduate Students, Research Scholars and Faculty Members. Bound/unbound journals, audio-visual materials and CD-ROMs are for in-house use only.
References Services is a personal aid provided to the user by the library staff in interpreting library collection for study and research. The Library staff assists users to locate the needed information from the available information resources. On the basis of collection, library provides services to its users.
Through this services library provides photocopies of articles from journals and books to the users as and when requested further users can also send and receive Fax messages from library
Current Awareness Services:
Library has used four main ways to help health sciences professionals keep abreast of latest information.
- Telephone call
- Displays of new books and journals
- Productions of library publications, i.e. new acquisition list
Through this service library provides audio and video cassettes CD’s slides of teaching programs, in the A.V. Room
Inter Library Loan Services
The library helps to obtain books from other medical colleges and libraries countrywide. Also access to those books which are not available to faculty or post graduate students is provided.
The computer lab of the library offers the following computer services to users
- Internet browsing and online journals access.
- Facilities for preparing presentation materials such as slides, transparencies and color scanning
- Assisting the students and faculty members for editing projects/thesis, data analysis, setting the file to the required quality of print and printing.
- Color scanning CD writing, with laser printing and DOT matrix printing.
The CD-ROM collection of the library contains bibliographical databases, Full text databases, and Comprehensive CD. Full text databases include back volume of medical journals, articles, medical year books, review articles, text books etc.
Kasturba medical college – KMC has a food court which provides healthy, hygienic, delicious and low-cost food. South Indian, North Indian, Chinese, Thai, Italian, and Malaysian food with ample variety is available at student friendly rates. Students can easily eat what they like to their hearts content in the mess.
Sports and Gym:
Sports activities are supervised by the MAHE Sports Council that is responsible for organizing inter-college sports events among constituent colleges and for choosing outstanding sports persons to represent MAHE at inter-university tournaments. Staff sports events are also organized on annual basis.
There are staff sports advisors in each college, who are also part of this council.
Sport infrastructure facilities comprise a widely spread 400-meter athletics ground, 1 well maintained cricket ground, 2 basket-ball courts, 1 huge football court, 4 lawn tennis courts, 2 throw ball courts and 3 extravagant volley ball courts. Along with these TT and carom facilities are provided at hostels. A well-equipped Multi-gym consisting of 16 stations and a well-trained instructor adds to the sport facilities at Kasturba medical college – KMC.
The institute has an excessively modern simulation for students of health care to train over manikins. There are trainers of every domain, those for basic levels and also for advance levels of learning.
Poison information centre:
This center offers different panel of tests including- drug abuse panel, pesticide panel, alcohol panel, narcotic panel and heavy metal panel. This is helping in early detection and proper treatment of cases with incidence of poisoning.
Kasturba medical college – KMC Anatomy museum boasts of over 3,000 specimens and samples of anatomical things, including the skulls of an elephant and a whale, and the long skeleton of a King Cobra. The museum is open from 8 am to 6 pm on all days, except public holidays. While a small fee is charged from the public, it is free for the students and faculty of Manipal Academy of Higher Education.
It is one of the major concerns of student to find a safe, clean and comfortable place for residing. KMC offers these students extraordinary hotel facilities to feel at home. Manipal Academy of Higher Education has a separate hostel section under the management of Hostel Management Committee. Hostel rooms have a bed, a study table, a chair, a cupboard for every student. Every hostel has solar heated water facility, water cooler with Aqua guard filters, common telephone, common TV room and common reading room. Some hostels even have gymnasiums and indoor gaming facilities. The hostels are kept in great conditions with regular maintenance. They also provide students with high quality and hygienic food at very reasonable prices. There is an internet facility with broadband connection in the hostel.
Bank and atm:
On campus ATM facility is provided at KMC.
After Getting Admitted into Kmc:
Making it into a medicinal school is known as probably the hardest task, not to mention getting selected into an exemplary organization like KMC. Being one of the top ten medical colleges of India, KMC offers the best education and practice to its students. If you get into KMC, by then you are surely one of those intellectual and determined people who deserve their skills to be groomed by excellent faculty members at KMC. So well done on making it this far! In any case, the persevering work isn’t done now. Life at a Medical College goes with various challenges, and to overcome these challenges a few hints have been given underneath:
The hardest thing to do at not just a medical college but at any university is managing time. You cannot skip on thee work for even a single day. For If you don’t study regularly things pile up and it gets near to impossible to cover the whole syllabus afterwards. The best way is to make a realistic schedule, taking out time for relaxing and assigning study hours reasonably. You can also use the tip of dividing tasks with respect to time slots and completing those tasks by sticking to assigned time.
In medical colleges loads of assignments and homework are given, which becomes tiring and you miss deadlines. In order to meet all deadlines and submit good homework or assignment you should always start early. So that even if you face problems you can go to your instructors or seniors for help.
Conditions won’t generally be good throughout everyday life and thus not generally at your college as well. A few things are not under an individual’s control so ensure that you give your everything to the things that you can control. Assume, for one course, you end up with an instructor whose techniques for educating don’t reverberate with your strategies for learning. Despite the fact that you go to every single class, regardless you experience difficulty understanding the talks. All things considered what you need to do is make a call for help while that information is still new in your brain. Ask a friend to help you. If not ask the CR or the TA to help however don’t leave things unsolved.
It has been proven that group studies make a big contribution to effective learning. You should not stop for a second from requesting help and don’t spare a moment from helping another person out either. Teaching others can really help you also in remembering things.
Dr. Najeeb Lectures:
In the remote possibility that you find in a circumstance portrayed above, and nothing from the above referenced techniques work, or regardless of whether you don’t want to evaluate every one of them at this time, you can always go to Dr. Najeeb’s Lectures for help. These are video lectures which are an incredible source for self-studying. Dr. Najeeb’s Lectures are the world’s most prominent and popular lectures, covering every one of the aspects of Gross Anatomy, Neuro-anatomy, Embryology, Histology, Physiology, Biochemistry, Genetics, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Immunology and Pathology. These lectures cover practically every one of the subjects offered in the present medicinal educational programs of most renowned medical colleges. They contain visualization of what you study in your books. The hand-drawn illustrations in these lectures make it very easy to grasp the concepts. Furthermore, one can get a lifetime access to these lectures and even download the app to avail them anytime, anywhere
The tough studies and hectic schedule at medical college can drain your energy and make you tired. It is essential for you relax and some time for yourself. You can always perform some mind relaxing activity or play games or go to gym for rehabilitation. At medical college at time even after hard work you are not able to achieve high grades, you should not get discouraged an continue with the hard work. You should reward yourself for the achievements you make.
Managing people is one of the major concerns of students. It is easy but at times it can make things complicated for you. From the very beginning you should listen to others and help them where possible, surround yourself with good people. Try to not get exploited by others and cleverly handle the arising situations.
At the end we would like to assure you that you are capable of making big contributions to the world. Don’t lose hope in bad times, keep our tips in mind and Good luck!