Kempegowda Institute Of Medical Sciences (KIMS)
About Kempegowda Institute Of Medical Sciences (KIMS)Kempegowda Institute Of Medical Sciences (KIMS), was established in 1980 by the Vokkaligara Sangha. It is located in Bangalore. Kempegowda Institute Of Medical Sciences (KIMS) is affiliated to Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore, Karnataka. Kempegowda Institute Of Medical Sciences (KIMS) is recognized by the following for both, running MBBS course since 1980 and the Postgraduate Degree/Diploma since 1991:
- Medical Council of India
- General Medical Council, UK
- World Health Organization
- The Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynecologists, London
- The Government of India
Missions and ObjectivesKempegowda Institute Of Medical Sciences (KIMS) aims to achieve the following goals through training the future physicians of the world through the best guidance and practices:
- Convey first-rate training to medical students, enough for them to become competent in the management of the health of the individuals of society, comparable with their place as a member of society.
- Flourish their personality and characteristics according to their professional lifelike sense of responsibility, reliability, integrity, and care for other individuals.
- Impart leadership in them to make them able to work better in teams and take charge of matters when required, learn to gear up resources for natural calamities or any emergency, if it ever comes to it.
- Facilitate them to acquire proficiency in communication skills, enable them to learn to appreciate social, psychological, cultural, economic, and environmental factors affecting health.
- Prepare them towards an attitude for continued self-learning and seek further experience or to pursue a medical career or research in any field of medicine.
Campuses and LocationKempegowda Institute Of Medical Sciences (KIMS) is located in the following two sections:
- The Pre-clinical and Para Clinical departments located at Banashankari IInd Stage near BDA Complex, Bangalore-560070.
- The Clinical departments and Kempegowda Institute Of Medical Sciences (KIMS) Hospital located at the Kempegowda Institute Of Medical Sciences (KIMS) Hospital K.R Road, V.V Puram, Bangalore-560004, 4kms from the College campus.
UndergraduateFor undergraduates, Kempegowda Institute Of Medical Sciences (KIMS) offers the MBBS course. The duration of that course is four and a half years of academic study, which consists of a total of 9 terms, each of 6-month duration, and one year of internship.
PostgraduateThe course for Postgraduate degree is 3 years long and the Postgraduate diploma is 2 years long. Below is the list of all courses offered by Kempegowda Institute Of Medical Sciences (KIMS): MD
- MD Anatomy
- MD Physiology
- MD Biochemistry
- MD Pharmacology
- MD Pathology
- MD Microbiology
- MD Forensic Medicine
- MD Community Medicine
- MD Medicine
- MD Pediatrics
- MD Dermatology
- MD Radio Diagnosis
- MD Anesthesiology
- MD Psychiatry
- MD Emergency Medicine
- MS General Surgery
- MS O.B.G
- MS Ophthalmology
- MS E.N.T
- MS Orthopedics
- DA (Anesthesiology)
- DCP (Pathology)
- DCH (Pediatrics)
- DGO (O.B.G)
- DOMS (Ophthalmology)
- Ortho. (Orthopedics)
- L.O (E.N.T)
- DMRD (Radio Diagnosis)
Eligibility CriteriaFor a candidate to qualify for application of admission to Kempegowda Institute Of Medical Sciences (KIMS), the following are the requirements:
1. Undergraduate (MBBS):
- The applicant should have passed the PUC examination of two years duration, which is conducted by the PU Examination board, Karnataka State. Physical, Chemistry & Biology can be optional subjects. Or the applicant should have passed any other examination which is recognized as equivalent to it by the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore. OR the candidates should have passed the BSc examination of Bangalore University or any other university provided that they have passed the examination with at least any three of the following courses: Physics, Chemistry, Botany, and Zoology.
- The applicants must have secured at least 50% marks in all the science subjects combined with the qualifying examination and CET/COMED-K. The OBC-3A category and SC/ST students of Karnataka must have secured 40% of the total marks.
- The lower age limit is of 17 years on the 31st December of the year of admission.
- Foreign applicants are required to submit the following:
- A No Objection Certificate from the Department of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, New Delhi.
- An Eligibility Certificate from the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore.
- A Student Visa.
- A Residential Certificate.
- The applicant seeking admission to any of the postgraduate programs should pass the PGET conducted by Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences and COMED-K College.
- The applicant applying for the Postgraduate programs should have passed the MBBS examination from a recognized Medical college that is affiliated to any University recognized by the MCI.
- The applicants must have completed a year of Compulsory Rotating Internship in a Medical institute recognized by the MCI.
- The applicant must have registered their MBBS degree with their respective State Medical Council.
- The selection of applicants will be solely on the merit basis of the rank list of the entrance test.
1. Undergraduate (MBBS):
|CET seats||77,500 (per annum)|
|COMED-K seats||5,75,000 (per annum)|
|Para Clinical (degree & diploma)||Management/COMED-K||1,61,500|
Application ProcessCandidates seeking admission in different degree and diploma programs offered by Kempegowda Institute Of Medical Sciences (KIMS) should register and appear in the respective exams. To apply for the Kempegowda Institute Of Medical Sciences (KIMS), the candidate should follow the following steps:
- Visit the institute to obtain their prospectus along with the application form by paying the application fee.
- Fill in the form very carefully and mention the courses one is seeking to get admitted to.
- Attach the required documents with the form.
- Submit the completed form to the admissions office.
Required DocumentsThe following documents (as required by the candidate’s chosen degree) are to be attached with the application form:
- Metric and 10+2 marks sheet and passing certificate.
- Bachelor’s degree and mark sheet.
- Entrance exam admits card and scorecard.
- MBBS mark sheet and degree.
- Migration Certificate.
- Character Certificate.
- Caste Certificate (if applicable).
- Registration as a Medical Practitioner.
Important DatesThese dates are according to the year 2018:
|Entry Test Name||Application Start Date||Application End Date||Exam Date|
|NEET||February 8||March 12||May 6|
|NEET PG||September 26||November 27||January 7|
|COMED-K UGET||January 16||–||May 13|
FacilitiesKempegowda Institute of Medical Sciences believes in providing its students with the inimitable facilities, to give them an environment that is comprised of not just the basic necessities but the finest ones to turn them into the best physicians. Kempegowda Institute Of Medical Sciences (KIMS) believes that their students have an important role to play in the future as the member of society, thus giving them the first-rate experience is Kempegowda Institute Of Medical Sciences (KIMS)’ one of the most important goals. The Institute offers the best infrastructural facilities to improve the quality of education it provides. It boasts well-equipped labs, classrooms, internet access along many more.
1. Library:The Kempegowda Institute Of Medical Sciences (KIMS) library was established in 1981, right when the college was functional. With every year, the library makes steady progress hence it has grown into a collection of 21,500 Medical Books and 10,150 bound volumes with a subscription to 145 periodicals yearly on a variety of medical subjects. A library is also located in the hospital complex for the needs of the clinical department. This library comprises a seating capacity of 100 people and 4,600 books. Both the central and hospital libraries contain a digital library with modern internet facilities and reading rooms to enable students to bring in their own material and read in a bit more privacy. In addition to these two libraries, all the departments have a library of their own with all these facilities. The Central Library Sections The central library is the biggest Library at Kempegowda Institute Of Medical Sciences (KIMS) and it contains the following sections:
- Staff reading room.
- PG reading room.
- Interns reading room.
- Rooms for librarians and other staff.
- Microfilm reading, Video, and audio LC D. Projector room.
- Current periodicals room.
- The back volume of periodicals room.
- Reprography room. (Xerox).
- Air-conditioned computer room with Medlar & internet facility.
- Undergraduate Section.
- Own book reading room.
- Reference Section – Latest editions of books & newly arrived periodicals are arranged subject-wise and made available to be read in library premises.
- Home Lending – Older editions of books and journals which are one month old are issued for home reading to staff and post-graduate students.
- Audio-visual facility – A separate section having audio-visual ( L.C.D projectors) equipment is made available for students and staff.
- Photocopying facility – Available to all on payment.
- InterLibrary Loan – Reciprocal arrangement for sharing the resources of the libraries in Bangalore is made available to students and staff of the Institute.
- Computer Search for holdings in the library – A database of all the books and bound volumes has been prepared and can be searched from any terminal on LAN within the Library.
- Medline database Search on CD-ROM- Readers can search Medline from 1966 onwards from two terminals. The current (1998) disc of Medline is kept for searching information free of charge for all members of the Institution.
- Internet Search & E-mail facility search.
- Book-Bank facility – Books are issued to undergraduate students from lower socio-economic strata for one year for study at home.
- Telephone call
- Displays of new books and journals
- Productions of library publications, i.e. new acquisition list
- EPAC access related to library resources anywhere in the campus
- Book exhibitions by major publishers.
- Internet browsing and online journal access.
- Facilities for preparing presentation materials such as slides, transparencies, and color scanning
- Assisting the students and faculty members for editing projects/thesis, data analysis, setting the file to the required quality of print and printing.
- Color scanning CD writing, with laser printing and DOT matrix printing.