King George’s Medical University – KGMU
About King George’s Medical University (KGMU)
King George’s Medical University (KGMU) is one of the renowned Medical Institutes in Northern India. The university is located in Uttar Pradesh state – Lucknow. The university was established in the year 1911. The work of the first medical session was started in October 1911, the ceremonial opening of the college building was done by Sir John Prescott Hewett. King George’s Medical University (KGMU) is situated about 5 km from Charbagh Railway Station and is well connected to all parts of the city by public transport systems like bus, tempo and taxi. The university has separate buildings for Medicine, Surgery, Pediatrics, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Cardiology, Neurology, Psychiatry, Neurosurgery, Plastic Surgery, Rheumatology, Geriatric Mental Health, Surgical Oncology, Chest Medicine, Pathology, Pharmacology, Anesthesiology, Ophthalmology, Urology and Community Medicine. The College buildings consisted of a fine Administrative Block, an Anatomical block, a combined Pathological and Physiological block and a Medico-Legal Department. As soon as the College was completed the construction of the Hospital was commenced. The work for Out-patient Department was finished by April 1913 and the main-building a few months later. Since 1922, the College and Hospital have expanded in several directions. A comprehensive museum of microscopic and macroscopic pathology has been created. An X-Ray and Electro-therapeutic Section for Hospital out-patients was opened in 1928.
Vision and Mission
Vision of the institute is to be an outstanding University of Medical Excellence of the World in education, research and patient care. Its mission is:
- To become one of the World’s best providers of high quality teaching and excellence in education.
- Generate outstanding leaders in health sciences.
- Promote multi-disciplinary scientific biomedical research.
- Provide compassionate, patient-centered care of the highest quality.
The objectives of King George’s Medical University (KGMU) are:
- To effectively implement programs through creativity, innovation in teaching, learning and evaluation.
- To inculcate communication skills and scientific temperament among faculty and students through research oriented activities
- Enhance competency through knowledge and skills, reading and learning activities, continuous objective oriented student performance evaluation.
- Nurture professionalism and behavioral skills in medical professionals.
- Incorporate medical ethics, moral values, team spirit, responsibilities and sense of integrity in medical faculty and students.
- Ensure academic, career and personal counseling.
- Adopt transparency and accountability in academic and administrative activities.
- Develop, design and implement innovative and translational scientific discoveries.
- Discover, understand and improve the health of populations, communities and societies.
- KGMU is a state university.
- KGMU is recognized by the Medical Council of India and University Grants Commission (UGC).
King George’s Medical University (KGMU) offers MBBS, BDS, B.Sc. (Nursing) and DM/DH at UG level. At postgraduate level, the university also offers MD, MS, MDS and PG Diploma courses. KGMU also offers DM, M.Ch, Fellowship and Postgraduate Fellowship in different disciplines. The eligibility for applying in King George’s Medical University (KGMU) is as follows:
- For MBBS and BDS program, candidates must have qualified in the NEET although 70 seats will be filled through UP NEET counseling process.
- Candidates must have passed 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English with 50% aggregate while in case of reserved categories, aggregate will be 40%.
- For admission in B.SC, DM & DH courses, candidates need to appear in King George’s Medical University (KGMU) entry test followed by counseling.
- Candidates belonging to SC/ST category will be given relaxation of 5% marks in qualifying exam.
- King George’s Medical University (KGMU) offers MD, MS, MDS, MHA, MHPEE and PGD courses at PG level. Students seeking admission to MD, MS, MDS and PGD courses must hold a MBBS degree from a recognized university. For MHA course, candidates must hold a BDS/ MBBS/ BAMS/ BHMS/ BPT/ BHA/ B.Optom/ BASLP/ B.Sc Nursing with an aggregate of at least 50% marks.
- For SC, ST & OBC category minimum percentage will be 40%.
- Admission to MD, MS, MDS and PGD courses will be granted based on the score obtained in UP PGMEE for 85% of the seats and NEET PG for 15% of the seats.
- Admission to MHA/ MHPEE program will be offered on the basis of candidates’ performance in the entrance test followed by an interview.
- King George’s Medical University (KGMU) also offers Super Specialty courses such as M.Ch and DM. The university offers DM course in four disciplines and M.Ch course in nine disciplines.
- Students must hold MD/ MS degree in the relevant discipline to pursue DM and M.Ch courses.
- Admission will be granted based on score obtained in AIDMCHEE 2018.
- King George’s Medical University offers M.Phil, Post MD-Ph.D. & Ph.D. courses at Research level. Candidates who wish to pursue M.Phil must hold M.Sc degree in the relevant discipline with an aggregate of at least 60% marks from a recognized university.
- Students seeking admission to Ph.D. program must hold a PG degree with an aggregate of at least 60% marks.
- For Post MD-Ph.D. program, the students must have passed MBBS and either MD or MS or equivalent examination as per MCI norms with good academic record.
- Admission to M.Phil course will be granted on the basis of M.Phil entrance examination. Admission to Ph.D. program will be offered on the basis of score in Ph.D. Entrance Test followed by an interview.
- For MD-Ph.D. course, admission will be granted based on the Entrance test and Interview conducted by the university.
Visit the official website of King George’s Medical University (KGMU) and fill the application form available online. Pay the application fee in the form of challan through Allahabad or HDFC bank. The application fee can also be paid in any CBS branch or by Master/ Visa Card.
Admission Process of King George’s Medical University (KGMU)
Candidates need to visit the online website of NEET and choose their respective courses and college. Admission will be granted on the basis of NEET followed by counseling. For admission visit their website
National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET)
Candidate’s eligibility for NEET exam will be judged on the following factors:
- Academic Qualification
- Age Limit
- Students who have passed class XII qualifying exam.
- Students who are appearing in class XII qualifying exam.
- Candidates must have Biology or Biotechnology, Physics & Chemistry as their subjects in XII.
- All candidates must have the obtained the necessary aggregate marks in qualifying exam.
GENERAL CATEGORY – 50% marks in qualifying exam.
OBC/ST/SC CATEGORY – 40% marks in qualifying exam.
General- Physically Handicapped Category – 45% marks in qualifying exam.
OBS/ST/SC Physically Handicapped Category — 40% marks in qualifying exam.
- Candidates need to fill online application form to apply.
- Candidate should be at least 17 years old.
- As per latest notification, the maximum age is 25 years while applying under UR category ,candidates above 25 years can also apply.
- Indian Nationals
- Non-Resident Indians (NRI)
- Overseas citizens of India (OCI)
- Persons of Indian Origin (PIO)
- Foreign Nationals
Exam Pattern of King George’s Medical University (KGMU)
- The Examination will be offline mode (pen and paper) of 3 hours held at various centers across India.
- There will be total 180 MCQ type questions.
- The question paper will be available in Hindi, English, Tamil, Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Marathi & Telugu language.
- There will be 45 questions of 180 marks from Botany, Zoology, Physics and Chemistry each.
- Total marks will be 720.
- 4 marks will be awarded on every correct answer while 1 mark will be deducted on every wrong answer.
- Aadhaar card is mandatory to fill NEET Application form.
- Candidates can avail the NEET registration form via online mode only.
- Fill all the necessary details like personal contact, qualification, domicile etc.
- Upload the scanned images of photograph, signature and thumb impression.
- After filling the form, candidates need to pay the application form fee of INR 1400(general & OBC candidates) and INR 750(SC/ST/PH Candidates) using online or offline mode.
- After the confirmation message, take a print out of NEET Application form as well as confirmation page.
How to apply?
Fee Structure of King George’s Medical University (KGMU)
The fee structure for the college is different for different departments and there is a fee for the admission process as well. The fee structure is given below in Indian rupees:
- MBBS : 292,000
- BDS, B.SC : 234,000
- MD, M.CH, MDS, MS, DM : 117,200
- MHA : 232,000
- M.SC : 80,200
- M.PHIL : 21,500
- PH.D (Biomedical) : 106,500
- DIPLOMA : 99,000
- PG. DIPLOMA : 43,200
- MD+PH.D : 44,500
A scholarship is granted to those children, whose family income is less than 2 lac per annum as per the central/U.P Govt. rules from time to time.
Life At King George’s Medical University (KGMU)
King George’s Medical University is situated in the heart of the historic city of Lucknow which is the capital of India’s most populous state Uttar Pradesh. Lucknow lies about 500 Km East of Delhi. The city was the seat of the Nawabs of Awadh in the 19th century and a center for the arts, music, painting, dance, chess, kite flying and culture. The university campus adjoins the crowded area on Shah Mina Road, very close to the bank of River Gomati.
The library is the hub of academic student life on campus. King George Medical University houses a spacious library, stocked with more than 35,075 books, 2,690 book banks and thousands of CDs, journals and reports. The King George’s Medical University (KGMU) library consists of a Central Library & separate Department Libraries to help students and faculties alike have easy access to the course and reference materials through a membership card.
The University provides separate accommodation for both boys and girls. Currently, there are 12 hostel blocks that accommodates more than 1000 students. All hostels comprise of the main office, security room, and a guest house.
On the campus, there is a student’s Health Care Centre with a full-time Medical Superintendent and a team of qualified, efficient doctors who are always present in the healthcare center.
IT Lab of King George’s Medical University (KGMU)
King George Medical University recognizes the key role that IT plays in teaching as well as research. Therefore, IT is committed to providing computing facilities of the highest standards. A high-speed optical fiber network of 12 Mbps with wireless redundancy allows all students to access a range of services across our entire campus including all computer labs and student hostels.
Harassment Cell of King George’s Medical University (KGMU)
In the college premises itself, there is a gender sexual harassment cell, where students can complain about any miss happening or any other related problems.
King George’s Medical University (KGMU) pays great attention towards student’s activities. In this regard, campus has grounds for sports as well as gymnasium for the students to maintain their physical fitness during hectic studies.
King George Medical University has one canteen with over 200 students seating capacity with a very chill environment where tea/coffee and various snacks options are available. On the other hand, canteen serves both vegetarian and non-vegetarian meals to their students/staff members.
KGMU also has wireless internet connection all over campus for students to attain knowledge of the material they did not understand in class. For difficult times like these internet provides students with medical lectures of Dr. Najeeb.
Dr Najeeb Lectures
Dr Najeeb lectures are the World most popular medical lectures. Dr Najeeb Lectures has Millions of students in 190 countries of the World and his lectures are being watched Millions of times. His videos cover all major fields of medicine like Neuroanatomical, Embryology, Genetics, Dentistry, Biochemistry, Anatomy, Pharmacy and Nursing in detail. These videos contain all the medical topics covered in different universities of the world. They are video lectures available online and in their application, making them accessible anytime, anywhere. You can also get a lifetime access to these videos.
King George’s Medical University (KGMU) Graduates
King George Medical University has produced several qualified medical practitioners who are doing wonderfully well in their respective specialties. Many notable alumni are making their state and institute proud by doing remarkable work in their fields. Some of them includes Autar Singh Paintal who is well known medical scientist, Naresh Trehan, a renowned cardiothoracic surgeon etc.