louisiana State University Medical School Shreveport
LSU Shreveport Medical School Brief Background:
In 1876, a charity hospital was established which was later renamed as ‘Confederate Memorial Medical Center’ and it was moved to the current location of the hospital in 1953 at Linwood Avenue and Kings Highway. This hospital was a base of the full academic center that was to be established. In 1976, Confederate Memorial Medical Center became a part of the Louisiana State University System, making it the first medical school of the state with its teaching hospital in Louisiana.
Then in 2003, EA Conway Medical Center became part of the Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center and expanded its patient care and medical educational opportunities further in the North Louisiana region. Then after around more than 150 years, on October 1, 2013, the hospitals in Monroe and Shreveport decided to transition from public to private entities. Biomedical Research Foundation of Northwest Louisiana was managing both of these hospitals and later on, under their management, the hospitals were renamed as LSU Health Monroe and LSU Health Shreveport.
About LSU Shreveport Medical School:
louisiana State University Medical School Shreveport fought for decades for its creation. It is one of the 140 academic medical centers of the nation who are developing their students into healthcare professionals in a way that they’ll not compromise in the execution of their duties. It provides its students with an environment of growth and innovation while consistently fostering the practice of life-long learning, research, and medical innovation.
There are two primary hospitals located in Monroe and Shreveport which are directly managed by the Ochsner LSU Health System of North Louisiana. louisiana State University Medical School Shreveport comprises of 3 medical schools; the school of medicine, the school of allied health professions, and the school of graduates. The total student’s enrollment every year is around 1,500. Recently, in October 2018, LSU Health System signed an agreement with globally recognized Ochsner Health System to co-manage both of LSU Health System’s primary hospitals; Monroe and Shreveport. Further, LSU Health System has started a $60 million project, which is the construction of the Center for Medical Education and Wellness which will promote educational growth to ensure success in healthcare.
- Location: 1541 Kings Hwy, Shreveport, LA 71103, United States.
- Contact: (318) 626-0000 for Ochsner louisiana State University Medical School Shreveport Academic Medical Center.
- Educate the students, physicians, and residents for continual enhancement of the clinical skills and help them develop their careers in research, teaching, and healthcare.
- Providing Clinical Care to the state for the well-being and needs of patients.
- Achieving worldwide recognition for the development of basic science and clinical research programs that play an important role in the practice of knowledge in science.
- Promoting an environment of diversity to encourage mutual respect for everyone.
- Assisting the US and the region of North Louisiana in prosperity and economic growth by making use of the knowledge and research to encourage more partnerships with private sectors to enhance productivity.
LSU Medical School Contact Information:
Mission and Objectives:
The primary mission of LSU Health System Shreveport is to Discover, Teach, and Heal its learners to ensure the well-being of the region. To implement this mission, the LSU Health System is committed to achieving the following objectives:
LSU Shreveport Medical School Degrees and Programs:
- Cardiopulmonary Science, BS
- Medical Laboratory Science, BS
- Speech-Language Pathology, MCD
- Occupational Therapy, MOT
- Physician Assistant Studies, MPAS
- Public Health, MPH
- Biomedical Science, MS
- Physical Therapy, DPT
- Medicine, MD
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, PhD
- Cellular Biology and Anatomy, PhD
- Microbiology and Immunology, PhD
- Molecular and Cellular Physiology, PhD
- Pharmacology, Toxicology, and Neuroscience, PhD
- Combined Degree Program, MD/PhD
Bachelor of Science
Master of Communication Disorders
Master of Occupational Therapy
Master of Physician Assistant Studies
Master of Public Health
Master of Science
Doctor of Physical Therapy
Doctor of Medicine
Doctor of Philosophy
Doctor of Medicine/Doctor of Philosophy
Departments within LSU Health Systems:
- Speech-Language Pathology
- Pulmonary & Critical Care
- Public Health
- Psychiatry & Behavioral Medicine
- Physical Therapy
- Physician Assistant
- Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
- Occupational Therapy
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Nephrology and HTN
- Medical Laboratory Science
- Internal Medicine
- Infectious Disease
- Hematology & Oncology
- Gastroenterology & Hepatology
- Family Medicine & Comprehensive Care
- Endocrinology & Metabolism
- Emergency Medicine
- Cardiopulmonary Science
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Feist-Weiller Cancer Center
- Center of Excellence for Cardiovascular Diseases & Sciences
- Center of Excellence in Arthritis & Rheumatology
Clinical Departments and Divisions:
Centers of Excellence:
- Louisiana Addiction Research Center
- Center for Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine (CTERM)
- Center for Brain Health
- Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
- Cellular Biology & Anatomy
- Microbiology & Immunology
- Molecular & Cellular Physiology
- Pharmacology, Toxicology & Neuroscience
Basic Science Departments:
Schools of LSU Shreveport Medical School:
- Bachelor of Science in Cardiopulmonary Science (Respiratory Therapy)
- Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Science
- Master of Occupational Therapy
- Master of Communication Disorders (Speech-Language Pathology)
- Doctor of Physical Therapy
- Master of Physician Assistant Studies
- Master of Public Health (Joint Degree with LSU Shreveport)
School of Allied Health Professions:
The School of Allied Health Professions comprises of 2 Under Graduate Programs, 5 Graduate Programs, and 3 Residency Programs for physical therapists holding a degree of Doctor of Physical Therapy. Moreover, it also includes 3 specialized clinics; Children’s Center, Rehabilitation Clinic, and Mollie E. Webb Speech and Hearing Center. Following is the list of all the programs offered:
Under Graduate Programs:
- Neurologic Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Physical Therapy
- Wound Management
- Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, PhD
- Cellular Biology & Anatomy, PhD
- Microbiology & Immunology, PhD
- Molecular & Cellular Physiology, PhD
- Pharmacology, Toxicology, & Neuroscience, PhD
- Master of Biomedical Science
- MD-PhD Program
School of Graduate Studies:
The School of Graduate Studies offers five Ph.D. Degree Programs, and M.S. Degree in Biomedical Sciences, and a joint M.D/Ph.D. Degree Program. Applicants who are successful in securing their admission in the school of graduate studies can enroll in any one of the 5 programs directly or they can also enter through a program in which students select a mentor and degree program after their first semester, this program is called ‘the Interdisciplinary Graduate Program.’
The School of Graduate offers the following degree programs:
Ph.D. Degree Programs:
M.S. Degree Program:
LSU Shreveport Medical School Admission Requirements:
- Latest GRE scores. The minimum criteria for these scores vary for every degree program.
- A minimum GPA of at least 2.5 (out of the scale of 4.0) for UG programs and 3.0 (out of the scale of 4.0) for Graduate programs.
- A completed baccalaureate degree from an accredited university or college.
- The candidate must have a good standing at the institute he last attended.
- International Students seeking admission in any of the programs have to score at least 80 (or better) on the English Test to pass the Foreign Language (TOEFL) examination before their acceptance in the school.
- The final decision of acceptance/rejection is solely taken by the respective departments.
- Apply at https://gradcas2020.liaisoncas.com/applicant-ux/#/login.
- Search for the programs at LSU Health System’s website and create a GradCAS application accordingly.
- All the important information including GRE and TOEFL scores must be sent to the GradCAS directly.
- All the official transcripts must be sent to the GradCAS transcript processing center. International students must get their transcripts evaluated by a global credential service.
- Phone: (318) 675-7674
- Fax: (318) 675-4343
- Email: [email protected]
How to Apply?
The application process for the Graduate School is listed below:
Contact details for Graduate School:
School of Medicine:
LSU Health System Shreveport is the only medical school in North Louisiana and one of the three in the state. Unlike other schools, students at LSU starts interacting with patients in their very first semester and enhance their learning through multiple lectures, interactive sessions with patients, and standardized patient exercises. The School of Medicine has around 500 trained faculty members with a class size of about 150 students in the fall of 2019, and the college plans on increasing this number to 200 in upcoming years.
The School of Medicine offers a 4-year M.D. Degree Program, but other degree programs are also available for students according to their area of interest.
Departments and Divisions in the LSU School of Medicine:
- Cardiovascular disease
- Emergency medicine
- Endocrinology & metabolism
- Family medicine & comprehensive care
- Gastroenterology & hepatology
- Infectious diseases
- Internal medicine
- Obstetrics & gynecology
- Oral & maxillofacial surgery
- Orthopedic surgery
- Otolaryngology- head & neck surgery
- Psychiatry & behavioral medicine
- Pulmonary & critical care medicine
- Biological Science (12 semester and 18 quarter hours).
- Chemistry (12 semester and 18 quarter hours).
- English (6 semesters and 9 quarter hours).
- Humanities (12 semester and 18 quarter hours).
- Cell Biology
- Developmental Biology
- Molecular Biology
Required Coursework: Science courses must be taken from an accredited university or college. Required courses can’t be taken online, however, non-science courses can be taken online. Following required courses must be completed before registration:
Recommended Coursework:There is no specific math course required for the registration. However, some college work in calculus is highly recommended. Students must have a familiarity with statistics for the analysis of the data. As long as the academic requirements are met, all majors are eligible to apply for the M.D, program. However, non-science majors are recommended to complete as many science courses as possible. Following are the list of courses that are not required but recommended:
GPA:There is no minimum GPA for the undergraduate program. However, the successful applicants in the past year had their average science and total GPA of about 3.6-3.7 (out of the scale of 4.0).
MCAT:MCAT scores must not be older than 3 years. There is no minimum MCAT score for undergraduate programs. However, the successful applicants in the past year had an MCAT score of around 505.
Graduate Medical Education (GME):
LSU Shreveport Medical School Facilities
- Emergency Medicine
- Emergency Medicine / Family Medicine
- Family Medicine – Shreveport
- Family Medicine – Alexandria
- Family Medicine – Monroe
- Family Medicine – Rural
- Internal Medicine
- Internal Medicine / Pediatrics
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery
- Interventional Radiology-Integrated
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
- Cleft & Craniofacial Surgery
- Colon & Rectal Surgery
- Critical Care Medicine
- Facial/Plastic Surgery
- Forensic Psychiatry
- Head & Neck Oncology
- Infectious Disease
- Interventional Cardiology
- Pain Medicine
- Pulmonary/Critical Care Medicine
- Sleep Medicine
- Head/Neck Surgery
- Interventional Nephrology
- Interventional Pulmonary
- Renal & Genitourinary Pathology
- Surgical Pathology
Wellness:LSU Health System’s wellness program aims to improve the health of the medical students by addressing 7 facts of wellness:
Emotional/Mental:This wellness aims to avoid eliminate chronic extremes found in emotional states by promoting positive behavior and avoiding negative ones.
Physical:This wellness focuses on all the behaviors that maintain the health of the body. The aim of this wellness is to maintain physical fitness and to promote healthy living.
Environmental:This wellness focuses on the environment that has an impact on people’s behaviors and health. This may include having access to walking paths, gyms, pools, mental care, etc.
Intellectual:This wellness focuses on learning new skills, keeping up-to-date with current trends, and improving student’s knowledge to improve their intellectual wellness.
Spiritual:This wellness not only refers to religion but also, mental and emotional wellness.
Financial:This wellness means to promote living a happy life within your provided income and save for the future goals or financial emergencies.
Social:This wellness focuses on the maintenance and development of the interpersonal relationships that are important for the wellness of a body such as; family, friends, and colleagues.
Housing:LSU Shreveport provides on-campus housing that is focused on meeting the academic and social needs of the students attending the college. University Court provides an environment for personal growth while consistently ensuring a healthy lifestyle for the students. University Court has fully-furnished apartments for around 400 students of LSU. It offers an exciting residential life program along with a lot of on-site facilities. Be it studying or socializing, this location is going to complement your experience at LSU.
Counseling Services:The Counseling Services main focus is the student’s growth and development. These services include many services such as; educational and personal development workshops, personal counseling, mental health outreach, and coordination of disability services.
- The Port Dining Services: The Port Catering has been providing high-quality food and service to the LSU community. The Port Catering has been rendering its services from about 26 years with experienced cooks with 18 years of experience. The hours of operation are Monday to Friday- 7:30 a.m. till 3:30 p.m.
After getting into the LSU Health Systems Shreveport:
Getting into a good medical college is everyone’s dream and let’s be honest, it is one of the toughest things to get and getting into an institute like LSU is a big achievement. LSU Shreveport is among the top medical colleges, and it is known for providing the best medical education to its students which helps them develop into successful future doctors in the world. If you get into the LSU Shreveport, you’re one of those few intelligent and hardworking people who deserved to be here and be the best doctors in the world with the help of top-rated faculty members at the LSU Shreveport.
Anyway, Congratulations! First and the toughest step of this difficult journey has been cleared. Now, what next? Now, comes the next step and a bit tough one comprising of a lot of challenges for you but don’t worry, if you have qualified for the first step, it’ll be easy for you to clear the next steps too. It will require hard work and your focus to overcome these challenges. We’ll give you a few tips and tricks which will help you in Medical School that are mentioned below:
Managing time is a milestone that gets every medical student through the 4 years of hard work and sleepless nights. Managing time is a competent task and requires work but once you get a hold of how to manage time and allot your time to each task effectively, you’re already good to go. There are certain aspects of managing time.
Firstly, manage your time according to the importance of the task. We all know that throughout our life, all the things are done concerning the relative significance it holds for us. Thus, keep in perspective that the most important task comes first, and then comes the rest. Secondly, manage time according to the difficulty of a particular task. This means the difficult task should be done first, due to the technicalities it carries and the consumption of time it requires. Thus, keep in perspective the difficulty of all tasks and allot your time accordingly.
Thirdly, monitor your time management progress. This part may come off as difficult because of the process that may be involved. So indulge in performance tracking that will enlighten you on how you have managed your time, how effectively, how much more growth is needed and how the steps that are needed are being followed. Thus, this step is extremely
Create a study ritual:
The most common mistake made by students is to leave everything on the night before the exam, and not studying before. Well, this might work for some people who aren’t medical students, but as a medical student, you must create a study ritual or routine which will help you find your focus and save you from the last day’s stress. Well, a good place to start is to have a pre-study ritual which includes clearing up the place/desk where you have to study, avoid all the distractions, put your phone on charging, create a to-do-list, grab all the materials you need and you’re ready to go! This five minutes activity ill not only physically prepare you to start studying but also help your brain to transition into a state where it will be more focused. When you clear your space with all the distractions, your brain is ready to focus on what is most important.
Amidst all the difficulties of a medical student, the self-care factor can’t be overlooked. Know the significance of caring for yourself because the importance of mental health can’t be emphasized enough. The involvement in various self-care activities is important. It can mean giving yourself a break now and then, rather than piling all the notes into your brain until it can’t take it anymore. It can also mean giving yourself the entire weekend and study on weekdays; your idea of self-care is entirely different depending on your personality and your happiness. It doesn’t have to be the same as the rest; it just needs to be right for you.
Secondly, rewarding yourself is an extremely crucial factor that is not thought enough by many people around us. It is very important because rewarding yourself means incentivizing hard work. This further grows seeds of more hard work and you’re inclined to do better each time in hope of reward from yourself. The reward can be in various forms; whichever way is preferable for you. But never forget just how significant it is because it is always tied to better performance and better results in the future.
The burden of missing classes due to emergencies that may prevail due to unforeseen circumstances, unable to focus in class or unable to make notes due to whatever reason is the most troubling situation for a medical student, especially keeping in perspective the importance of every word being said, every jargon, every sentence, and the list goes on. But ever imagined a time when a person is a click away for all the solutions to his problems? You can imagine, now that Dr. Najeeb Lectures are at your disposal. These lectures accommodate students with different learning styles, by addressing a diverse set of students with different capabilities. Thus, these lectures are understood widely by every student all over the world, and they’re likely to be your best option.
These topics cover a wide canvas encompassing Neuro-anatomy, Embryology, Histology, Physiology, Biochemistry, Genetics, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Immunology, and Pathology. These lectures cover almost all the topics currently in the medical curriculum of almost all the medical institutes. Furthermore, what makes us unique is our ability to give our students a visual representation that makes it easier for the students to store the knowledge in their brain effortlessly. Furthermore, our application makes you accessible to the lectures irrespective of where and when, with no time constraints. Thus, with so many strong aspects of these lectures, these lectures should be your go-to, making your life easy without any constraints and barriers therein.
In the end, we would like to assure you that there are always ups and downs in life. Don’t lose hope, keep our tips in mind and Good luck!
For more information, please visit their official website.