Madras Medical College (MMC)
About Madras Medical College (MMC)
Madras Medical College (MMC) is located in Chennai, the capital of the state of Tamil Nadu, of India. It has been nourishing and growing enrolled students into competent doctors since 1835. The first batch of students graduated was granted the diploma of Graduate of Madras Medical College. It later gained affiliation to University of Madras. After the affiliation the College moved to be a focal point of greatness imparting training in all the specialties in the field of medicine and surgery and it is currently one of the chief institutions in the country with under graduate, post graduate and super specialty courses.
- The Courses offered by the Madras Medical College are affiliated to the “The Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University”.
- The college is also affiliated to nine hospitals that serve as the teaching hospital of the institute.
- Madras Medical College (MMC) is approved by Medical Council of India (MCI).
Reservation Policy & Eligibility, Selection Criteria
Madras Medical College (MMC) offers MBBS, B.Pharm, BPT & B.SC (Nursing) at Under Graduate level and MD, MS, M.Pharm & M.SC (Nursing) at Post Graduate level. It also offers PG Diploma and super specialty courses namely DM & M.Ch in various disciplines.
The eligibility for applying in Madras Medical College (MMC) is as follows:
- For MBBS Admission, 85% seats are reserved for State Quota while 15% seats will be filled through NEET-UG (All India Quota) score.
- For MBBS admission under All India Quota, candidates need to appear in NEET-UG Exam while Candidates applying under State Quota will be selected on the basis of merit in 10+2 (Zoology, Botany, Physics, Chemistry) reduced to the scale of 200 marks followed by counseling.
- For all PG Diploma & MD, MS courses, 50% seats will be filled through State Quota while rest will be filled through NEET-PG (All India Quota) score.
- Madras Medical College (MMC) offers MD, MS & PG Diploma in various specializations. To apply under State Quota or All India Quota, candidates should have MBBS degree from any university recognized by MCI. Seats will be filled on the basis of NEET-PG score & State Quota counselling i.e. on the basis of entrance examination conducted by Director of Medical Education of Tamil Nadu.
- For B.Pharm, B.SC (Nursing) and BPT, admission is granted on the basis of marks in 10+2 and Tamil Nadu Professional Courses Entrance Examination (TNPCEE).
- Merit list for B.SC (Nursing), B.Pharm, BPT, is prepared by considering the marks obtained in relevant science subject out of 200 and 100 marks in TNPCEE. Separate merit lists will be listed and merit will be granted through counseling only.
- Performance in TNPCEE & merit in qualifying examination is the only criteria to secure admission in M.SC (Nursing) & M.Pharm courses.
- To apply for M.SC (Nursing), M.Pharm & SPT at PG level, candidates should have the degree of B.SC (Nursing), B.Pharm & BPT. Admission is offered on the basis of marks in qualifying exam followed by the performance in entrance examination conducted by the Director of Medical Education, Chennai. Cutoff of these courses are published on 31st May of every year.
- To take admission in DM & M.Ch courses, candidates should have valid score in entrance as well as relevant work experience.
- For DM & M.CH courses, admission is offered on the basis of entrance examination conducted by the Director of Medical Education, Chennai. Final admission will be offered on the basis of two merit lists i.e. open merit and service merit list. Merit lists are prepared on the basis of entrance, experience and qualifying exam. Marks will be calculated to max of 100 (90 in entrance + 10 as work experience). MD or MS degree with 50% marks in aggregate from The Tamil Nadu Dr. Mgr. University or any university recognized by MCI.
- To take admission via All India Quota in NEET, candidates need to take part in Online Counselling for NEET conducted by MCC.
- To take admission via State Quota, candidate should have appeared in 10th and 12th class exam from the state and should have the valid address proof and domicile of the state.
- All India Quota admissions are governed by the Director General of Heath Sciences, New Delhi.
- State Quota admissions are governed by the Directorate of Medical Education, kilpauk, Chennai.
Here is a complete admission process guide:
For MBBS, MD, MS & PG DIPLOMA
- Visit the official page of Director of Medical Education, Chennai.
- Fill the application form available online.
- Pay the application fee of INR 500.
- Submit the filled application form along with all documents (SSC & HSC mark sheet and certificate, Nativity & Transfer Certificate, Community Certificate, NEET-UG scorecard) to
The secretary, Selection Committee
162, Periyar E.V.R, High Road,
Kilpauk, Chennai- 600010
For BPT, B.SC(NURSING), B.PHARM
- Download the application form from the website of Directorate of Medical Education, Chennai.
- Send the application form with two self-addressed envelopes written with Application for Paramedical Courses’’ with DD of INR 400 in favor of selection committee payable at Chennai.
The secretary, Selection Committee
Directorate of Medical Education,
Kilpauk, Chennai- 600010
National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET)
Candidate’s eligibility for NEET exam will be adjudged on following factors:
- Academic Qualification
- Age Limit
- Students who have passed class XII qualifying exam.
- Students who are appearing in class XII qualifying exam.
- Candidates must have Biology or Biotechnology, Physics & Chemistry as their subjects in XII.
- All candidates must have the obtained the necessary aggregate marks in qualifying exam.
GENERAL CATEGORY – 50% marks in qualifying exam
OBC/ST/SC CATEGORY – 40% marks in qualifying exam.
General- Physically Handicapped Category – 45% marks in qualifying exam.
OBS/ST/SC Physically Handicapped Category — 40% marks in qualifying exam.
- Candidates need to fill online application form to apply.
- Indian Nationals
- Non-Resident Indians (NRI)
- Overseas citizens of India (OCI)
- Persons of Indian Origin (PIO)
- Foreign Nationals
- The Examination will be offline mode (pen and paper) of 3 hours held at various centers across India.
- There will be total 180 MCQ type questions.
- The question paper will be available in Hindi, English, Tamil, Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Marathi & Telugu language.
- There will be 45 questions of 180 marks from Botany, Zoology, physics and chemistry each.
- Total marks will be 720.
- 4 marks will be awarded on every correct answer while 1 mark will be deducted on every wrong answer.
How to apply?
- Identity card is mandatory to fill NEET Application form.
- For NRI’s, OCI, PIC & Foreigners passport No is valid id proof.
- Candidates can avail the NEET registration form via online mode only.
- Fill all the necessary details like personal contact, qualification, domicile etc.
- Upload the scanned images of photograph, signature and thumb impression.
- After filling the form, candidates need to pay the application form fee of INR 1400(general & OBC candidates) and INR 750(SC/ST/PH Candidates) using online or offline mode.
- After the confirmation message, take a print out of NEET Application form as well as confirmation page.
The fee structure for the University is different for different departments and there is a fee for the admission process as well. The fee is as follows:
- MBBS : Rs. 112,750
- BPT, B.Pharm, B.SC (Nursing) : Rs. 64,640
- DM, M.CH, M.S, M.D : Rs. 92,565
- M.Pharm : Rs. 47,000
- M.SC (Nursing) : Rs. 56,455
- Diploma : Rs. 7,600
Various scholarships awarded to MBBS & B.Pharm students. To know more about scholarships, visit www.mmc.ac.in
Life at Madras Medical College (MMC)
In the span of your course at Madras Medical College (MMC), you not only get to experience top notch medical studies but along with that you get a chance to explore Chennai with its vast range of restaurants or you could simply indulge in a good day at Marina Beach. Chennai has vast tourist’s sites to make your feel free from daily routine.
When it comes to the campus, the faculty is the best of the best, with doctors from many prestigious universities from all over the World.
Maintaining attendance is extremely crucial for the students. To appear in the university exams students must have 75% of attendance.
Madras Medical College (MMC) contains Clinical Biochemistry, Clinical Microbiology, Histology & Cytopathology, Hematology, National Reference, Laboratory for HIV testing, Serology Lab in the hospital & College premises to provide students with deep root observations under the supervision of professors and head of respective departments.
The campus offers top notch library for the students with 4 reading rooms accommodating 360 students. The library contains over hundred thousand books of text and reference. 70 Indian and 32 foreign journals are also subscribed annually.
Anti-Ragging & Disciplinary Committee
Anti-ragging committee is formed with HOD’s, professors, assistant Profs as members to take care of new comers. Senior teachers’ staff is posted in university premises for the prevention of ragging during college hours. Separate wings should be awarded for new entrants in hostels. Surprise checkups will be made by wardens in hostel. If any complain of the ragging is received, it will be enquired and action may be taken against the responsible person.
A committee also has been formed at Madras Medical College (MMC) to inquire about complains regarding gender and sexual harassment.
There is a vast range of facilities provided by Madras Medical College (MMC) in hostels. Separate hostels for both boys and girls. Visitors’ room is present in hostels. Air conditioned reading rooms, heavy load washing machines, 24 hour water supply, purified drinking water, blue star cooling and heating apparatus for providing cold and hot water, parking lot, internet access and food provided through contractors and mess run by students.
Also there is Gymnasium for both male and female.
2 housekeepers are posted for day & night duties to take care of students. Watchmen are there for guarding. There are also manager, clerks & office assistants.
Sports & Recreation
The Madras Medical College is equipped with all the necessary sports facilities.
The college contains a full sized cricket ground with regularly maintained pitch. For day to day practice, the college is equipped with two net practices. A Lot of inter-collegiate tournaments and matches have been conducted on this cricket ground.
A Fully sized volley ball court with high intensity flood light is present. A Cement basketball court is also equipped with high intensity flood lights.
For hockey and football, practice courts are only present. Throwball court and a separate shuttle cock court are also provided for the students. Indoor T.T., Chess, and Carom are also available. The college also contains a four hundred meter running track for athletic activities.
A separate area is provided for other field activities such as shot put, discus, Javelin and long Jump.
Madras Medical College (MMC) also has wireless internet connection all over campus for students to attain knowledge of the material they did not understand in class and even though Madras Medical College (MMC) has an open door policy for teacher-student communication there are times when a student simply fails to understand the material being conveyed by the lecturer. For difficult times like these Madras Medical College (MMC) provides students with medical lectures of Dr. Najeeb.
World’s most popular medical lectures – Dr. Najeeb
Dr. Najeeb is a Pakistani online medical specialist and one of the most popular internet based teachers in the World. Being a MBBS student if you have not learned from his lectures you have not gained the whole experience. His website contains more than 800 medical videos. His lectures cover all major medical topics like Neuroanatomy, Embryology, Genetics, Dentistry, Biochemistry, Anatomy, Pharmacy and Nursing.
Now instead of running behind professors and teachers MBBS students are only a click away from learning topics they did not understand during the lecture or to further enhance their knowledge. The best part about Dr. Najeeb lectures is that he does not pick up difficult diagrams from the book rather he draws those diagrams himself, explaining along the way due to which students tend to remember complex things more easily.
Madras Medical College (MMC) Graduates
Ever since 1850 Madras Medical College has been producing world class graduates serving in their specific fields. Many notable alumni including scientists, politicians, celebrities, athletes, sportsmen etc. Few of them include Mukhtar Ahmad Ansari, surgeon & president of Indian National Congress and Abraham Verghese, professor, author & physician.