Nil Ratan Sarkar Medical College (NRS)
About Nil Ratan Sarkar Medical College (NRS)
Nil Ratan Sarkar Medical College (NRS) also known as NRS Medical College was established by the British government on 1st December, 1873. It was initially named Sealdah Medical School followed by Campbell Medical School and after India’s independence it was named after the freedom fighter Nil Ratan Sarkar in 1950. It is situated in the heart of Kolkata, India and is recognized under the Medical Council of India. It is run by the Government of West Bengal and is affiliated to West Bengal University of Health Sciences. NRS Medical College offers both; Under-Graduate and Post-Graduate degrees.Its aim is to develop doctors through a rigorous scholarly experience in Bio-medical related research. NRS Medical College aims to develop skills for scholarly investigation, pursuit of discovery, and transmission of knowledge to other, including research and clinic practice. Students will also develop the ability to recognize the delivery of health in a multi culture region of the World while gaining an understanding of the country’s cultural, political and historical context and their impact on health and health care delivery.
Eligibility Criteria for Nil Ratan Sarkar Medical College (NRS)
- General candidate’s minimum age should be 17 years old and maximum age should be 25 years old.
- Candidates of SC/ OBC/ ST are offered a relaxation of 5 years for the upper age limit.
- All candidates applying should have taken Physics, Chemistry and Biology examinations in HSSC.
- All candidates should have passed with a minimum of 50% for the above mentioned subjects.
- Students belonging to SC/ OBC/ ST have a relaxation of 10% for the minimum passing marks.
For MD and MS
- Candidate needs to complete an internship before applying.
- Candidate should have done MBBS from any recognized state or central university.
For Hospital Diploma
- Candidate applying should have passed the required subjects of 10+2 class examinations from a recognized board or university.
Admission Process of Nil Ratan Sarkar Medical College (NRS)
After the candidate has fulfilled all the required conditions for the eligibility they are required to take an examination known as the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET). In NEET the candidate has to score a minimum of 50%, however, students of ST/ SC/ OBC have to score a minimum of 45%.
The entrance test has 180 MCQs with 4 options to choose from. The exam is conducted in 3 hours and the number of question per subject is as follows:
Number of Questions
- The maximum number of marks a candidate can achieve is 720.
- For every correct answer the candidate gets 4 marks and for every wrong answer the candidate loses one mark.
- The exam has to be performed with a black or blue pen.
- The questions from the above subjects are related to the information the candidate studied in 10+2 levels at school.
After the NEET examination takes place, a merit list is prepared and students are chosen according to their merit number. However, if two or more students have equal scores in NEET, preference will be given to
- Candidate having higher marks in Biology, NEET.
- Candidate having higher marks in Chemistry, NEET.
- Candidate older in age.
Students who are selected after the NEET examination scores then are given a schedule of NEET counseling in which they are guided about the subjects being offered in NRS Medical College and how to complete the admission process. However, for this, NEET counseling, some documents are required:
- 10th class examination mark sheet and certificate.
- HSC examination mark sheet and certificate.
- NEET admit card and score sheet.
- Course and Conduct certificate.
- Caste certificate for candidates seeking SC/ ST/ OBC quota.
The table below sums up the reservation criteria of seats according to the Government of India:
For more details visit their Official Website.
Courses Offered at Nil Ratan Sarkar Medical College (NRS)
- MBBS (5 YEARS):
- Bachelor of Science [B.Sc] (3 YEARS):
- Bachelor of Science [B.SC] (Nursing).
- Diploma ( 2 YEARS):
- Diploma in Medical Radio Diagnosis.
- Diploma in Physiotherapy (DPT).
- Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology.
- Diploma in Radiotherapy.
- Diploma in Perfusion Technology.
- Diploma in Cath Lab Technology.
- Diploma in Critical Care Technology.
- Diploma in Dialysis Technology (Dialysis).
- Diploma in Diabetic Care Technology.
- Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology.
- Diploma in Neuro-Electro Physiology Technology.
- Diploma in Optometry.
- Diploma in Electro Cardiographic Technology.
- Doctor of Medicine [DM] (3 YEARS):
- Doctor of Medicine [DM] (Cardiology).
- Doctor of Medicine [DM] (Neurology).
- Doctor of Medicine [DM] (Endocrinology).
- Doctor of Medicine [DM] (Clinical Hematology).
- Doctor of Medicine [DM] (Cardiac Anesthesiology).
- Doctorate of Medicine [MD] (3 YEARS):
- Doctorate of Medicine [MD] (Paediatrics)
- Doctorate of Medicine [MD] (Ophthalmology)
- Doctorate of Medicine [MD] (Psychiatry)
- Doctorate of Medicine [MD] (Radio diagnosis)
- Doctorate of Medicine [MD] (Radiotherapy)
- Doctorate of Medicine [MD] (Forensic Medicine & Toxicology)
- Doctorate of Medicine [MD] (Geriatric)
- Doctorate of Medicine [MD] ( 2 YEARS):
- Doctorate of Medicine [MD] (General Medicine)
- Doctorate of Medicine [MD] (Anesthesiology)
- Doctorate of Medicine [MD] (Pathology)
- Master of Chirurgiae [M.Ch] (3 YEARS):
- Master of Chirurgiae [M.Ch] (CTVS)
- Master of Chirurgiae [M.Ch] (Urology)
- Master of Chirurgiae [M.Ch] (Neuro-Surgery)
- Master of Chirurgiae [M.Ch] (Pediatric Surgery)
- Master of Chirurgiae [M.Ch] (Plastic Surgery)
- Master of Science [M.Sc] (3 YEARS):
- Master of Science [M.Sc] (Nursing)
- Master of Surgery [MS] (3 YEARS):
- Master of Surgery [MS] (Anatomy)
- Master of Surgery [MS] (E.N.T)
- Master of Surgery [MS] (Orthopaedics)
- Master of Surgery [MS] (Ophthalmology)
- Master of Surgery [MS] (Ophthalmology)
- Master of Surgery [MS] (Otolaryngology)
- Master of Surgery [MS] (General Surgery)
Departments of Nil Ratan Sarkar Medical College (NRS)
- Blood Bank
- Cardio Thoracic Vascular Surgery
- Chest Medicine
- Community Medicine
- Forensic Medicine & Toxicology
- Gynae & Obst
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Pediatric Medicine
- Pediatric Surgery
- Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Plastic Surgery
- Radio Therapy
- Radio Diagnosis
- School & College of Nursing
- Telemedicine Unit
- Ralfc Orthotic Unit
- Cardiac Anesthesiology
Campus of Nil Ratan Sarkar Medical College (NRS)
NRS Medical College has a huge campus with loads of facilities for the students. From sports to literary competitions as well as hostel and food facilities for its students and staff. NRS Medical College also offers 18 courses across 2 streams namely Medical, Para-Medical and 4 degrees such as MBBS, MD, MS and Diploma.
The Central library is spread over 4000 square meter. The library has a huge collection of books as well as reference books. It has a reading room where students usually go to study, which has a capacity of 250 people. The library is air-conditioned and also has a collection of journals, both hard and soft cover, CDs and other non-book material on Medical and Peripheral subjects. Seminars, Special lectures, Memorial lectures, Educational film shows & Meetings are also held here.
NRS Medical College has nine hostels for UG/PG students. One each for UG Boys and Girls with 600 plus and 200 plus accommodation respectively. Others are of smaller capacity.There are many other facilities like Foot Ball court, Basket Ball court, Cricket ground, Table Tennis, Gym as well as Badminton. There are many canteens with a large variety food which is economical.
Student Life at Nil Ratan Sarkar Medical College (NRS)
Students, once enrolled, become part of the diverse environment of not only the university but also of the rich heritage of the city. The environment allows the students to gain the full experience of the place. But sometimes one cannot really focus in class. Or, due to unforeseen circumstances, one loses time or place in class. In university, unlike high school, students must study be on time and learn. They must be careful and responsible in both managing study time and leisure time, as both are important for a healthy student life. But, as mentioned before, sometimes, one cannot control certain situations, and one can fall behind in class. Such, sudden situations, can prove disastrous for a student’s academic life. After getting into such a prestigious institution, and not being able to keep up will bring a person down significantly. It is at these times, that one can find another place to catch up from.
Dr. Najeeb’s Lectures
So, when life strikes in an unpleasant way, one should not lose hope and look for other ways. One such way, is through Dr. Najeeb’s lectures. These are the Worlds most popular Medical lectures and are trusted by 80% of Medical, Dentistry, Nursing & Pharmacy students. Dr. Najeeb has been teaching Medical sciences for over 26 years and has helped Millions of students master Medical Sciences with crystal clear concepts. Don’t forget “Lasting Knowledge results from clear concepts”. The video library consists of over 800 videos on topics ranging from Gross Anatomy, Neuroanatomy, Embryology, to Histology, Physiology, Biochemistry, Genetics, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Immunology and Pathology. Such, amazing online lectures, can really turn the tide in one’s favor, no matter the circumstances. These lectures can be used in different ways, to catch up on missed class or to revise for an exam. To revise concepts you have not studied for years. The illustrations and vocabulary used in the videos are easily understood and related to. The whole world is using these lectures, and now so can you, to get that extra edge, and perform extraordinarily, just like you were meant to!
Manage your Time
To stay on top and survive in this world you have to stay up to date on everything. However that is much easier said than done. A lot of work can go to waste, deadlines can be missed, marks can be lost and it can even affect your health if a proper schedule is not formed and followed. The only way to avoid all this is to organize your work from the get-go. The minute studies start you need to start organizing your tasks according to their importance and impact. Never leave that till tomorrow which you can do today – Benjamin Franklin. Try to get every assignment/worksheet/homework done as soon as possible. Keep track of all your classes and work and you’ll definitely succeed.
Studies can be tough and exhausting. It may feel like there’s no end to it. So it is important to keep yourself motivated and focused by rewarding yourself for all the effort you’ve put in. Find different ways to relax yourself from time to time. Take up a sport, find a good book or just kick back and relax. No one can work nonstop without burning out. It’s important to understand that med school is not a sprint but a marathon.
When it comes to people management, it is required that you stay attentive from day one. Notice the people around you and pick your friends carefully. Avoid conflicts; if you do end up in one try resolving it as soon as possible because it would be advantageous in the long run. Try to be a little sharp minded and keep yourself from getting exploited. Help out others, this way you can make more allies than enemies and they could end up helping you in your time of need.
Just as no two human beings can ever be the same in their life experiences, no two students can have the same clinical experience. Your experience will be what you make of it. Keep in mind that whatever you learn is not to be forgotten. You are opting for a career that requires retention of this knowledge for a lifetime. To look at the short term aspects, what you learn will be there again in your finals, and again during residency when you start treating actual patients. So whatever you learn, make sure you understand it completely now, casual lookups are fine to jock up your memory when required but if you don’t understand the concept you will have to do it later on.At the end we would like to assure you that there are always ups and downs in life. Don’t lose hope, keep our tips in mind and Good luck!