Nishtar Medical College, Multan
About Nishtar Medical College (NMC Multan): Nishtar Medical University is Pakistan’s one of the most renowned public-sector medical colleges located in Multan, Punjab. It is named after a famous Pakistani politician and activist Sardar Abdul Rab Nishtar. It was established in 1951, and it is Pakistan’s 3rd oldest medical institution. The college has an area of over 20 acres. The Nishtar Hospital is located adjacent to the college. Nishtar Hospital is one of the largest hospitals in Pakistan. The main finances of the college come from the government and some from private support from local philanthropists. The college is large and spacious, has a central quadrangle, which is a garden, on the sides of which academic buildings are located.
Affiliated Hospital Nishtar medical college (NMC Multan) is affiliated with Nishtar hospital. NMC Multan is a well-known hospital for getting good experience in the medical and, especially, surgical practices because of its diverse and large catchment. On the 1st of October, 1953, Nishtar Hospital was established. In 1954, the departments of Medicine, Surgery, Gynecology, Tuberculosis, Pediatrics, Ophthalmology, ENT, Anesthesia, and Radiology departments were functional. Today, Nishtar Hospital has a total capacity of 1103 beds, however, due to high public demand, extra beds have raised the capacity to more than 1800 beds. There are 15 operation theatres, 29 wards, and an Out-Patients Department.
International Accreditations Nishtar Medical College is accredited by many international medical licensing organizations such as:
- Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates of the United States
- General Medical Council of the UK and Ireland
- Australian Medical Council
- College of Physicians & Surgeons of Pakistan (CPSP), Royal Colleges of Physicians & Surgeons of Edinburgh, England, Glasgow and Ireland (recognized for the training of their postgraduate trainees)
- Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates of the United State
- General Medical Council of the UK and Ireland
FAQs (frequently asked questions) about Nishtar Medical College Which Departments are Present in Nishtar Medical College? The college has the following departments: Basic science departments
- Community Medicine
- Forensic Medicine
- Chest Medicine
- General Medicine (Four Units)
- Pediatric Medicine (Two Units)
- Psychiatry and Behavioural Sciences
- General Surgery (Four Units)
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology (Three Units)
- Orthopedics (Two units)
- Pediatric Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Thoracic Surgery
- Department of Medical Education (DME)
- Basic Life Support (BLS) Training Center
What are the Programmes Offered by Nishtar Medical College? Programs offered by the college are:
- Sc. (Hons.) Emergency & Intensive Care Sciences
- Sc. (Hons.) Medical Imaging Technology
- Sc. (Hons.) Medical Laboratory Technology
- Sc. (Hons.) Optometry & Orthoptics
- Sc. (Hons.) Dental Technology
- MS Neurosurgery
- MS Plastic Surgery
- MS Urology
- Phil Anatomy
- Phil Microbiology
- Diploma programs ( DCP, DTC&D, DCH, DOMS, DA )
Are Admissions in Nishtar Medical College Administered by the College itself? Admissions are arranged by the Higher Education Commission (HEC).
What is the Majority of the Student Population Consist of? The student body was initially dominated by male students but as of today, the majority student population consists of females. Ethnically speaking, Students from several ethnicities study at the institute because of its impressive ranking within Pakistan as well as in the Middle East. In addition to producing Pakistani doctors, the institute has produced Palestinian, Jordanian, Saudi Arabian, Yemeni, Mauritian, Somali, Nigerian, Libyan, Sudanese, U.A.E, Iraqi, Bengali, Afghani, Maldivian, American, Canadian, U.K., Sri Lankan, and Nepalese doctors.
What are the Facilities available on the College Campus? The campus provides the following facilities to students:
- 5 main lecture theaters along with 5 demonstration halls
- 10 science labs
- 1 dissection hall
- 4 museums
- Large Assembly Hall.
- Research Centre
What is the Medical College Library like? The College campus has a large and neat library. There is a total of 35,586 books in the library. Moreover, the library is subscribed to over 50 medical journals. The library is open to all under-graduate, post-graduate medical students and medical professors. The opening hours of the library are from 8 am to 2 pm and 5 pm to 11 pm. During these timings, students and professors can use the library facility.
Does Nishtar Medical College Provide Computing Facility to Students? Yes, for the assistance of medical students and teachers, and to keep them up to date with the advanced knowledge available, the College has a modern ‘Computer Research and Resource Lab’ on the college campus. At present, the lab has 28 computers. College students can make use of the facility free of charge. The Opening hours of the computer lab are 9 am to 2 pm.
How does the College Accommodate on Campus Residency? Nishtar medical college has a total of 9 hostels. There are separate hostels for boys and girls. These hostels are open only to students on the respective college roll. It includes 4 hostels for boys, 2 girls hostels, 2 hostels for doctors, and 1 nursing hostel. The hostels’ house about 1300 students. Hostels for male students:
- Ibn-e-Sina Hall
- Iqbal Hall
- Razi Hall
- Qasim Hall
- Tariq Hall
- Rafida Hall
- Bhutta Hall
- Lady doctors’ Hall
What is the Procedure for admission to the hostel? Hostel accommodation is not provided to all the applicants. It is provided subject to availability. The hostel accommodation is given to students who are admitted to the college (or is seeking admission) and has a domicile of a place other than Multan. Day scholars cannot apply for on-campus residency except under special circumstances. Seats are awarded by the Warden of the hostel on the basis of seniority and merit (determined by the year of study and by the marks obtained at the last University/promotion examination).
Can Room Allotment ever be Cancelled? Students who do not pay the hostel dues on time will not be eligible for allotment. If a student who is allotted hostel accommodation is not residing him/herself and found misusing the room then his/her allotment will be canceled. They will be referred to the Disciplinary Committee for further necessary action.
Are Final year Remanded Students eligible for Hostel Accommodation? Final year remanded students are eligible for hostel accommodation but subject to availability.
What is Nursing School Nishtar Hospital? The Nursing School Nishtar Hospital, Multan was established with the collaboration of UNICEF. it was founded in June 1953. since then, it has been giving training in general nursing. From 1955, classes for midwifery courses have also started.
Does Nishtar Medical College have a Journal? Nishtar Medical college has a quarterly journal called the Nishtar Medical Journal. It was first published in 2009. The Nishtar Medical Journal provides advanced medical education to health care professionals so that they can improve the health care system and better deliver to patients. The Journal publishes original research articles, case reports, and unique communications in medical and surgical specialties. Moreover, medical students also participate by writing articles in special sections i.e. students’ corners. The editors are always ready to provide technical support and guidance to those students who are passionate about medical research and publications.
Is the Nishtar Institute of Dentistry Affiliated with Nishtar Medical College? The Dental Section of Nishtar Medical College was established in 1974.today, the dental department has become an autonomous institute and is called the Nishtar Institute of Dentistry. It has a newly constructed campus located at Jail Road. It offers a 4 years Bachelor of Dental Surgery (B.D.S.) education program.
Which Departments are Present in the Dental Section? The Departments in the Dental Section include: (i) Basic sciences (ii) Faciomaxillary Surgery (iii) Orthodontics (iv) Oral Surgery (v) Prosthetics (vi) Diagnostic (vii) Operatory (viii) X-Ray.
How is the Campus life like at Nishtar Medical College? Many student societies, clubs, and associations are present on the campus to meet the recreational needs of students. they make the campus life vibrant. In addition, a swimming pool, a basketball court, squash courts, football, hockey, cricket grounds, lawn tennis courts, table tennis, a badminton court, and a jogging track are also present on campus for the extra-curricular activities of students. Click Here to see campus photos.
What are the Study Resources to Help Students at Nishtar Medical College? / How should one study for exams at Nishtar Medical College? If you are already studying at Nishtar Medical College or you are planning to, then we have jotted down some very useful resources to help you with your studies and most importantly, your exams.
- Library: There are hundreds of books available in the library, on topics included in the college/ UHS If your textbook is hard to read and understand, find an alternate book. These books can be a great way to develop your understanding. You can find books in NMC Multan library or you can check HEC’s funded digital library.
- Lectures by Dr. Najeeb: One of the most tried and tested techniques by Nishtar Medical College students, who had trouble in either understanding the content or keeping up with the lectures, is the use of video lectures. Dr. Najeeb lectures are the most trusted in Pakistan’s medical schools. His website com has lectured on the topics of all the subjects included in the medical, allied sciences, or nursing curriculum standardized by Pakistan Medical & Dental Council (PMDC) in Punjab, Pakistan which is being taught at Nishtar Medical College. These video lectures are exceptionally useful to comprehend that material which you find difficult to grasp in a very simple way. Dr. Najeeb teaches all the difficult concepts in layman’s terms but in great detail at the same time thus building up the concepts gradually along with drawing illustrations. The 700+ video lectures, on Gross Anatomy, Neuroanatomy, Embryology, Histology, Physiology, Biochemistry, Genetics, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Immunology, and Pathology, available on his website will help you to ace your exams and make your concepts crystal clear. Get your lifetime subscription for a very minimal price. The benefit of having a lifetime subscription is that you can watch it as many times as you want without worrying about your time clashes. Just watch them when you are free. You can Try a video lecture for free now.
- Internet: You can find not hundreds but thousands of articles and models on each and every concept that you will study in your time at Nishtar Medical College. It also helps you keep updated with the latest researches and advances being made in the field.
What is the Process of Admission at Nishtar Medical College? The University of Health Sciences Lahore is in charge of conducting the Admission Test (MDCAT) and finalizing the selection of candidates, on the basis of merit, for MBBS and BDS in Public Sector Medical and Dental Institutions respectively.
Admission Test (MDCAT) The entry test for admission to Nishtar Medical College is MDCAT. Click here for the detailed guide of MDCAT, merit calculation, and the admission requirements against different seats. For further information, you can also visit the official website of Nishtar Medical College www.nmch.edu.pk.
Admission Rules for already Admitted Students
- If any candidate (already studying in any medical/dental institute) wishes to get admission to the Government Medical & Dental Institution of Punjab, then he/she will have to surrender the previous admission. He/she will not be entitled to any credit of examinations passed as well as dues and have to appear in the current year’s entrance test. He/she shall have to disclose his/her previous admission in the Admission Form.
- Students who are admitted to first-year MBBS/BDS class but are constantly absent from the beginning of the academic session for a period of four weeks with no valid reason shall be struck off from the college roll and their seats will be filled on the basis of merit from the waiting list.
- There are two or more rounds of selection of candidates depending on the availability of vacant seats.
- The selected candidate must join his/her allocated college on the date set by the college authorities, otherwise, his/her admission stands canceled.
- The admission of the candidate shall be canceled and he/she will be debarred from admission for a period of 07 years, if any document provided by the candidate is found false or the candidate was not entitled to admission according to the admission policy for medical/dental institution of Punjab or if the candidate is found medically unfit at any stage of MBBS/BDS course or if he/she fails to report for admission and/or deposit the fee on the due date.