Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Nova Southeastern University Medical School Overview:
Next-Generation Medical Training:
Advancing Human Health:
Mission, Vision, & Philosophy:
- Focus on advancement and excellence in education.
- Combine Lean Methodology and technology into practice and academics.
- Benefit patients by conducting cutting-edge research.
- Cooperate with the community members of NSU in non-health and health-related departments.
- Develop partnerships that foster collective benefits
- Excellence: Retaining and fostering remarkable high standards of the College.
- Innovation: Developing an environment that promotes positive change and advanced thinking.
- Team Work: Establishing an environment where everyone can work together as a team to support one common cause.
- Communication: Making the exchange of communication very smooth among the community members so that they can successfully achieve their goals.
- Integrity: Fostering an environment where everyone behaves ethically in every situation and expects the other person to do the same.
- Accountability: Promoting a culture of transparency where people will be encouraged to take responsibility for their actions.
- Diversity: Embracing a diverse culture in College.
- Location: Nova Southeastern University, 3200 South University Drive, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33328.
- Phone (Admissions): (954) 262-1499
- Email: [email protected]
- Fax: (954) 262-1475
Mission:The mission of the NSU is to advance human health through advances in research, medical education, community engagement, and patient care. The way college plans on achieving it is by using a student-centered, patient-centered, and community-centered approach.
Vision:The College envisions becoming an internationally recognized medical college that is an example of its excellence by promoting an advanced culture that encourages collaboration, diversity, creative leadership, and critical thinking.
Philosophy:The NSU’s philosophy is to promote an inclusive system-based approach whose priority is patients and improves human health by educating the healthcare leaders and supporting faculty members who:
Nova Southeastern University Medical School Core Values:The NSU College of Osteopathic Medicine has 7 core values that are as follow:
Nova Southeastern University Medical School Contact Information:
Nova Southeastern University Medical School Academic Departments:
- Family Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Osteopathic Principles and Practice
- Rural and Urban Underserved Medicine
Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine Academic Programs:
- Human Nutrition Minor
- Public Health Minor
- Dual Admission Option for Accelerated Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (B.S. to D.O.)
- Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness Coaching (B.S.)
- Bachelor of Science in Human Nutrition (B.S.)
- Bachelor of Science in Public Health (B.S.)
- Master of Science in Nutrition
- Master of Science in Medical Education
- Master of Science in Disaster and Emergency Management
- Master of Science in Biomedical Informatics
- Master of Public Health
- Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.)
- Emergency Medicine
- Functional Nutrition and Herbal Therapy
- Health Education
- Health Professions Preparation
- Medical Informatics
- Public Health
- Public Health Informatics
- Social Medicine
Master’s Degree Programs:
- Biochemistry (3 semester hours)
- English/Humanities (3 semester hours)
- Physics (8 semester hours)
- Organic Chemistry (8 semester hours with lab)
- General Chemistry (8 semester hours with lab)
- Biological Science (8 semester hours with lab)
- Academic Pre-requisites: The applicant is required to complete a baccalaureate degree from an accredited College/University. The applicants must have passed the following pre-medical courses:
- GPA: The minimum requirement for both Science & Cumulative GPA is 3.00 (on a scale of 4.00).
- MCAT: The MCAT scores shouldn’t be more than 3 years old and all the scores should be submitted directly to AACOMAS.
- Letters of Recommendation: The applicants are required to submit 3 letters of recommendation. The letters of recommendation must be completed and submitted before the candidate is invited for the completion of his/her secondary application. The details of the letters are:
- One letter from a physician. (MD or DO)
- Letter from the pre-professional committee.
- If there’s no committee, then the applicant is required to submit three letters from professors (two science professors and one non-science professor).
Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine:The Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine offers the Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Program that is committed to student-centered osteopathic medical training to graduate remarkable osteopathic physicians who will be known for compassionate and competent care.
Application Process:Step One: The applicants are required to complete their Primary Application by visiting AMCAS (American Medical College Application Service). Step Two: Once the applicants complete their Primary Application, AMCAS will send a verification to the College. Step Three: Once the college receives verification from the AMCAS, applicants will be invited via email to complete their Secondary Application. Step Four: The applicant completes and submits his/her Secondary Application. Step Five: The applicant is required to submit a non-refundable fee of $50.
Interview:The Admissions Office of NSU will invite qualified candidates for a personal interview that is a part of the admission process. However, an interview doesn’t guarantee admission. The Admissions Office will send an invitation to schedule the date and time of the interview.
Nova Southeastern University Medical School Tuition & Fees:
|Florida Residents||Out-of-state Residents|
|Tuition & Fee||$55,671||$62,390|
|Student access fee||$145||$145|
|Student service fee||$1,500||$1,500|
|Clinical rotations fee||$1,000||$1,000|
Nova Southeastern University Medical School Dual Admission Programs:
- Health and Medical Professions
- Computer Science
- Criminal Justice
- Humanities and Social Sciences
Areas of Research:
- The Guy Harvey Research Institute (GHRI)
- The Hudson Center of Entrepreneurship and Executive Education
- The Institute for Disaster and Emergency Preparedness
- The Institute for Neuro-Immune Medicine
- The Lifelong Learning Institute
- The National Coral Reef Institute’s (NCRI)
Why should you use NSU MD?Unlike many other universities, the NSU MD offers both osteopathic and allopathic medical schools. It is a well-established, highly-competitive school, and a dream place for thousands of applicants who wish to get selected for a couple of hundred spots. NSU’s main focus is innovation & leadership. Moreover, it is the only college that produces more healthcare professionals than any other college in the whole Florida State!
- Health Insurance: All the students enrolled in the NSU are required to carry health insurance and they’ll be added to the NSU Health Insurance Plan automatically. The student’s account will be charged upon the class registration for every semester.
- Medical & Counselling Services: Nobody can deny that medical school demands hard work, sleepless nights, and sharp focus. Good health is very essential to one’s professional and academic success. The NSU College of Allopathic Medicine offers Medical & Counselling Services for the students and the students are encouraged to visit these centers if something is bothering them!
- Dal Contadino Trattoria
- Einstein Bros. Bagels
- La Spada’s Original Hoagies
- Ceviche 595
- Flashback Diner
- Shinju Japanese Buffet
- Dairy Queen
Student life at Nova Southeastern University Medical School:
Student’s Health & Well-Being:
Off-Campus Housing:The NSU offers Off-Campus Housing Services to its current & incoming students and faculty/staff along with an informational resource that will assist all of them in identifying various options for rental housing near their desired location. The Off-Campus Housing Services provide rental listings that include condos, homes, townhouses, rooms in private homes, and apartments. There are a few other resources as well that include moving tips, a roommate finder service, and FAQs to help make the resident’s move easier.
NSU Recreation & Wellness:The NSU provides the Recreation and Wellness Services to its students to improve quality of life and the transformative learning of the NSU community through various services & programs in a comprehensive environment. There are numerous Services & Programs such as Fitness & Wellness Programming, Intramural & Club Sports, Outdoor Adventures & Scuba, and Rescue Certifications.
Campus Safety:The primary focus of the NSU is to ensure a safe learning environment for its community and the M.D. students through cutting-edge policies, security plans, and procedures. There is also experienced staff in place 24/7.
Medical, Research, & Information Technology:There are two major campus library resources provided to the students of NSU MD by the college; The Alvin Sherman Library and The Martin and Gail Press Health Professions Division Library. The Research & Information Technology Center provides the full in-person and online access to both of the libraries. The library includes more than 700+ electronic books, 17,000 print volumes, and 8,000+ active health/medical journal subscriptions in both digital & print formats.
The top 10 BEST restaurants near NSU:
How to get successful in a Medical School?Resistance is an evil thing that encourages us to procrastinate and stops us from doing our work. Different studies show that our brain is not good at multi-tasking because it is designed to work on tasks serially, not parallel. Moreover, there are so many distractions these days that we’ve have trained our brain to not be able to focus properly. But one needs to overcome these distractions to get successful in a medical school because medical school demands hard work filled with sleepless nights and a lot of hardships. If getting into a medical school was easy, everyone would have been in a medical school today. Yes, getting into a medical school is difficult but surviving in a medical school requires a lot of hard work. So how you focus on your education when there are so many other equally important tasks that demand your attention? Here are a few tips that’ll help you succeed in a medical school if you’ll follow them.
- Build momentum so that you do something every day instead of doing nothing.
- Just get started on something.