Saba University School of Medicine
About Saba University School of Medicine
Saba University School of Medicine is located on the beautiful Caribbean island, Saba, of Netherlands. It has been nourishing and growing enrolled students into competent doctors since 1992. The campus offers top notch lecture rooms, library, computer labs, dissection labs, Microbiology labs as well as online access to websites for further learning of their students. Saba believes that success comes from hard work, loyalty and persistence.
- The university was approved by the Medical Board of California.
- It was also approved by Kansas State Board of Healing Arts (KSBHA).
- The university of approved by the State Board of Education of New York.
Along with this Saba University has also been granted permi Ford Federal Direct Loan Program by the Department of Education, United States.
Admission Criteria of Saba University School of Medicine
The eligibility for applying in Saba University is as follows:
- Applicants from Canada or US should have a minimum of 90 semester hours which is 3 years of undergraduate studies.
- All US nationals are required to take MCAT and all other students are urged to take MCAT.
- Student should have taken a year of Biology with a laboratory component.
- Student should have taken a year of Organic and Inorganic Chemistry with a laboratory component.
- Student should have taken a minimum of one year in English literature and should display excellent reading and writing skills.
Being one of the best medical universities in the World, Saba also encourages students to have a broad knowledge of Humanities, Computer and Social Sciences.
Saba also highly recommends students to take further science courses if they can manage.
Medical College Admission Test (MCAT)
For citizens, permanent residents and nationals of the US taking MCAT is mandatory and for students who fall in any of the categories below:
- Students who completed mandatory sciences through a community college.
- Students who studied mandatory sciences more than 5 years ago.
- Students who obtained a ‘C’ or lower grade in the mandatory sciences.
All other students are lso highly recommended to perform the MCAT, Click here to know more about MCAT.
Admission Process of Saba University School of Medicine
Applications of students are accepted all year round, however, classes start in January, May and September. After completing your classes within a time span of 20 months the student can then go back to their home and start their clinical rotation in the US and Canadian hospitals affiliated with Saba University.
Here is a complete admission process guide:
- Application forms should be submitted 6 months prior to the date you want to start.
- Earlier you submit the application, better the chances of scoring your admission.
- Applicants who are chosen are notified and invited for the next step, which is the interview.
- If you succeed in passing the interview then you can proudly call yourself a med student of Saba University.
- However, if your application is incomplete or you are ineligible for admission you will also be notified accordingly.
- Students can then reapply to Saba University and their file will be maintained for a year hence no additional admission fee will be charged from them.
Students who have studied in a recognized medical institute can transfer, if they desire, to Saba University through completing the application and fulfilling all other mandatory requirements.
The transfer student should submit all the documents that are required from a new student applying to the University and some additional documents listed below:
- Transcript from the current university you are enrolled in and all past educational institutes.
- Statement mentioning the applicant has no pending financial and academic obligations to the previous university.
- A Dean’s letter from the previous institute mentioning how good the student is academically.
Even if all these requirements are met it is still not necessary the university accepts the students due to other reasons.
If the studena University then they might have to repeat some course they would have taken before.
Fee Structure of Saba University School of Medicine
The fee structure for the University is different for different departments and there is a fee for the admission process as well. It is as follows:
- Transcript fee: $10
- Application fee: $75
- Review fee: $500
- Insurance per semester: $295
- Sciences tuition: $16,975
- Clinical Medicine tuition: $19,600
- Lab fee: $195
- Nonrefundable tuition fee: $750
- Nonrefundable administrative fee: $100
- Student activity fee: $50
Financial aid is available for American and Canadian students applying for Saba University.
Financial Aid – United States
Due to the approval of William D. Ford Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford and Grad PLUS Loan programs, American students can apply for financial aid.
To apply, the student has to fill up the form on fafsa which is free of cost. However, before applying you will have to create a Federal student Aid ID.
Financial Aid –Canada
Canadian students can apply Federal loans through Ministry of Education Student Support Branch in their residential province.
Along with this, students can also apply for private loans in banks CIBC, TDIFEOATaSABASaba University provides Canadian Merit Scholarship for students excelling in academics.
Life at Saba University School of Medicine
In the span of 20 months at Saba you not only get to experience top notch medical studies but along with that you get a chance to explore Saba island with its vast range of Caribbean restaurants, Scuba diving and many other waters activities. Or you could simply indulge in a good beach day.
When it comes to the campus, the faculty is the best of the best, with doctors from Hertfordshire University, Duke University, Howard University and many more prestigious universities from all over the World.
Maintaining attendance is extremely crucial for the students.
There is a vast range of learning facilities provided by Saba. There are nine learning areas and laboratories provided by the campus, nine lecture rooms with top notch multimedia equipment. Saba has a huge library containing all material needed to prepare for tests; 159 printed journals and about 30 online OVOID and MD Consult journals.
There is also a Gross Anatomy lab containing all modern equipment, preservatives and instructions for use of organs for the students.
For students appearing for all USMLE step one Saba provided a test center which prepares students exactly the way a USMLE center does.
Saba also has wireless internet connection all over campus for students to attain knowledge of the material they did not understand in class and even though Saba has an open door policy for teacher-student communication there are times when a student simply fails to understand the material being conveyed by the lecturer. For difficult times like these Saba provides students with medical lectures of Dr. Najeeb.
World’s most popular medical lectures – Dr. Najeeb
Dr. Najeeb is a Pakistani online medical specialist and is considered a guru in the world of medicine. Being a MBBS student if you have not learned from his lectures you have not gained the whole experience. He has about 200 Million students in 160 countries and has been watched 100 Million times. His website contains more than 700 medical videos. His videos start with physiology and anatomy of diseases and run a clinical course up to management. He also has a YouTube channel with all his medical videos and has been awarded ‘most popular medical channel’. His lectures cover all major medical topics like Neuroanatomy, Embryology, Genetics, Dentistry, Biochemistry, Anatomy, Pharmacy and Nursing.To kmow more about Dr. Najeeb Lectures, Click here.
Not only his lectures are a savior for students unable to understand certain concepts but he as a person is also a great inspiration of MBBS students as he was from a very poor Pakistani family but his passion for medical sciences led him to where he is now. His mission in life is not only to survive but to thrive and settle for nothing less than the best.
Saba University provides on-campus and off-campus dormitories and apartments for students, however, first semester students stay on-campus to easily settle in the new atmosphere.
Dorm rooms come in different sizes; single, double and even quadruple. The rooms have state of the art furniture and other equipment like air conditioning, microwave, refrigerator, chairs, beds, lamps, desks and also paid laundry facilities.
After completing first semester the students are required to shift off-campus where Saba university provides them fully furnished apartments and houses; depending on the choice of the student. The price of fully furnished one bedroom is approximately $650 in which even towels and linen are also included and the price of 3 to 4 bedrooms ranges from $1,100 to $1,800 and in all this the cost of electricity is excluded.
All these houses are mostly Dutch inspired architecture with a breath taking view.
Student association programs
Saba has a vast range of culture and religion coming from all over the World and to make them feel at home the university has different association programs.
- Muslim Student Association
For the Muslim student community Saba provides Halal food in the cafeteria. They are greeted by a welcome dinner and all their religious festivals are celebrated, such as, both the Eids
- Christian Student Association
The Christian student organisation meets every Sunday at church for worship where students recite the Bible, take part in worship service and also play musical instruments.
- Indian Student Association
The Indian student association (ISA) encourages various cultures and ethnicities; its membership is free and also sponsors all Indian festivities like Holi.
- Jewish Student Association
Jewish student association club (JSC) welcomes Jewish culture and is open to all students.
The club has strong affiliation with the Jewish community and organizes many trips there and also all Jewish festivities, and Shabbat dinners whenever they can.
- Africa Diaspora Association
This association brings students and faculty together to share and spread knowledge about their African background and culture. The goal is to spread African culture and promote diversSABA ity.ne feel at home and connects all students and faculty with their own people.
Graduates of Saba University School of Medicine
Ever since 1992 Saba University has made about 2500 MBBS doctors with all of them obtaining residencies in their choice of hospitals and medical centers.
Each student is given individual attention and is monitors by our staff for their application process, the personal statements are reviewed by the faculty and Medical Student Performance Evaluation is written for training doctors