Shaikh Khalifa bin Zayed al-nahyan Medical and Dental College (SKZMDC)
Shaikh Khalifa bin Zayed al-nahyan Medical and Dental College (SKZMDC) was established in 2009 by then CM Shehbaz Sharif in Lahore, Pakistan. It is a public college for Medical and Dentistry made to provide quality education to the people of Punjab. It holds 4th position in the ranking of public medical colleges in Punjab. It is affiliated with the University of Health Sciences, Lahore for the purpose of examination & award of MBBS degree.
Shaikh Khalifa bin Zayed al-nahyan Medical and Dental College (SKZMDC) is dedicated to providing world class education, research and health-care delivery for the benefit of patients and society. The institution tends to be recognized at home and abroad as a leading institute of medical education. Shaikh Khalifa bin Zayed al-nahyan Medical and Dental College (SKZMDC) imparts a comprehensive medical education leading to MBBS doctors having WHO recommended qualities of health-care provider. Shaikh Khalifa bin Zayed al-nahyan Medical and Dental College (SKZMDC) has developed a comprehensive program of research of international standard on various health related issues.
Affiliations and Recognitions
- College is listed in World Directory of Medical Schools.
- Recognized by Pakistan Medical and Dental Council (PMDC)
- Affiliated with University of Health Sciences from 2016 till date
- Previous affiliation was with University of The Punjab Lahore, from 2009 till 2015
For students applying for Shaikh Khalifa bin Zayed al-nahyan Medical and Dental College (SKZMDC) they have to apply for the entrance test MCAT. There are a total of hundred seats offered every year in the college, 90 seats are filled by the Punjab Admission Board on open merit basis. The remaining 10 seats are for foreign students applying on merit basis through HEC and UHS.
- Application Form duly filled by the candidate.
- Original & 6 Photocopies of Secondary School Certificates (Matric Certificate) / O-Level along with Equivalence Certificates.
- Original & 6 Photocopies of Certificates / Detailed Marks of F.Sc. (Pre Medical) / A-Level along with Equivalence Certificates.
- Original & 6 Photocopies of Provisional / Certificate / Character of college last attended.
- Original & 6 Photocopies of Domicile Certificate.
- Six Photocopies of CNIC or B-Form.
- Ten latest passport size photographs (sky blue background) duly attested by Govt. Officer Grade-17 or above (one on front and rest on back).
- Six latest photos size (1×1), sky blue background.
- Original Board Migration Certificate / NOC in case of F.Sc. from Federal Board.
- Result Card of Entry Test (UHS).
- College fee for the session is Rs.40,280/- (per annum).
- Surety Bond (specimen enclosed) on a stamp paper or worth Rs. 100/- duly attested by Notary Public and the 1st Class Magistrate.
- Affidavit declaration certificates by the parents / guardian on stamp paper Rs 100/- duly attested by Notary Public and 1st Class Magistrate.
- Undertaking agreement by the student on stamp paper Rs. 100/- duly attested by Notary Public and the 1st Class Magistrate.
- Certificate that you have been vaccinated against Tetanus, Measles, Mumps & Rubella.
- Certificate that you have been vaccinated against Tetanus, Measles, Mumps & Rubella and you have full course of immunization against Hepatitis “B” Virus
- Photocopy of SAT-II score.
- Photocopy of Passport.
Eligibility for MCAT
- The applicant who is willing to appear in the MCAT examination must have passed the intermediate in the medical subjects, which are: Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Physics and English from any of the recognized college.
- For the above subjects the applicant must have passed them with 60% or more marks which makes the score at least 660 out of a total 1100 marks in the intermediate.
NOTE: These marks should be 60% excluding the additional marks awarded on the basis of Hafiz-e-Quran.
- The applicants who have passed their A-Levels examination under the Cambridge Board UK must also have 60% marks in all the major subjects and such applicants are being liable to submit their equivalence certificate which is being issued by the Inter-Board Committee of Chairmen (IBCC) Pakistan.
- The applicants who are having the Domicile of Punjab and Federal Capital Area; Islamabad, Azad Jammu and Kashmir and the applicants belonging to the province of Gilgit-Baltistan are being eligible to apply for the MCAT examination which is to be held in Punjab and they are also being prescribed to bring their Domicile with themselves as without it they will not be accommodated in the MCAT examination.
- The Pakistanis which have the dual nationality are necessarily required to appear in the SAT II examination before appearing in the MCAT. The applicants are being prescribed to obtain at least minimum 550 marks in the SAT II examination so that they can avail the admission under the seats which are being reserved for them under the Pakistan technical Assistance Program (PTAP) and Self Finance Schemes (SFS).
First Year and 2nd Year:
Tuition Fee: Rs 400,000/-
Admission Fee: Rs 50,000/-
ID card and library facility: Rs 10,000/-
Health insurance including vaccination (Medical cover up to Rs. 100000/= per year) 10,000/-
Miscellaneous: Rs 5,000/-
Sports and extracurricular activities: Rs. 5,000/-
University registration fee (as per university notification) Hostel accommodation (additional)
Third, Fourth and Final Years each (clinical years):
Tuition Fee: Rs. 450,000/-
ID card and library facility: Rs. 10,000/-
Health insurance including vaccination (Medical cover up to Rs. 100000/= per year) Rs. 10,000/-
Miscellaneous: Rs. 5,000/-
Sports and extracurricular activities: Rs. 5,000/-
University registration fee (as per university notification) Hostel accommodation (additional)
- Basic science departments
- Community medicine
- Forensic medicine
- Medicine and allied departments
- Endocrinology & Metabolism
- General medicine
- Preventive medicine
- Pulmonology (Chest medicine)
- Surgery and allied departments
- Cardiac surgery
- Cosmetic surgery
- General surgery
- Obstetrics and gynaecology
- Oral and maxillofacial surgery
- Pediatric surgery
- Administrative departments
- IT Department
The research society has a president as well as co-presidents along with a student body for the society. The society has the following objectives:
- Sensitize and motivate medical students of all years to undertake research during their medical school years.
- Encourage them to read medical literature and come up with research ideas.
- Support and facilitate students in learning research skills in groups through workshops and training sessions arranged by DUME Research Cell.
- Encourage and help students to publish in local and international journals
International Federation of Medical Studets Association – Local Council
This local council of International Federation of Medical Students Association at Shaikh Khalifa bin Zayed al-nahyan Medical and Dental College (SKZMDC) is well established here and worked a lot by involving students from all years in the areas of Public Health, Research, Career Counseling and medical education etc through yearly outcome-based, time-bound projects. They submit reports of all activities to IFMSA. The student body of IFMSA-LC is supervised by Faculty President and co-presidents. All standing committees are managed by selected students through structured interviewing process.
Sports society is supervised by Faculty President and co-presidents. Male and females sports secretaries are selected every year along with whole student body to organize and manage all sports activities like;
- Hard ball cricket tournament
- Soft ball cricket tournament
- Basketball tournament
- Football tournament
- Table tennis tournament
- Badminton tournament
- Athletics competition
- Volley ball tournament
- Rifle Shooting competition
- Many indoor games.
Ethnic and Professionalism Society.
Blood Donor Society.
For girls we have a designated common room while a designated open space for boys at Shaikh Khalifa bin Zayed al-nahyan Medical and Dental College (SKZMDC) for spending time during their free hours.
A facility of cafeteria is provided within college and 2 canteens are there in the hospital. Quality of food is checked regularly and the college café is managed through a monitoring committee to ensure controlled rates and quality food.
Students are provided with designated areas for badminton court, Volleyball court, football and cricket (soft ball) ground. Every year extracurricular week is celebrated and Annual sports competitions are arranged within and outside campus to provide best sports facilities to students of Shaikh Khalifa bin Zayed al-nahyan Medical and Dental College (SKZMDC) .
One large 200 seating capacity auditorium is located on top of NIKD building and one small auditorium with capacity for 100 students is available as well.
Information Resource Centers
Shaikh Khalifa bin Zayed al-nahyan Medical and Dental College (SKZMDC) students have 24/7 access to 2 centrally placed, big, well-equipped Libraries with latest text books, reference books, local and international journals. Computer section is available with each library providing access to databases and e-libraries world over. Students can access open access journals as well as subscribed journals through digital library of HEC. Our libraries and IT sections are connected to HEC digital library providing 24/7 access to most of the important text and reference books electronically in a many subject. Electronic content of 75,000 approximately has been made available through it.
Boys and girls are provided with best possible hostel accommodation within the campus. Girls’ hostel is situated in a much secured building with quality mess facilities on controlled rates.
In January, 2016 Shaikh Khalifa bin Zayed al-nahyan Medical and Dental College (SKZMDC) came up with its first Official College Magazine. “Phoenix” Named after a bird that forms itself from the ashes and takes a flight right against the sun, this magazine proved to be no different. As its release became a headline in nationwide newspapers and the magazine itself was very well received by the readers. Phoenix had an entire Faculty Board and a Student Editorial Council behind its success. The Editorial Board, after their selection, worked for 1 year on this magazine to go through the process of collecting articles, writing segments, collecting pictures highlighting the important events and happenings, conducting interviews of the esteemed faculty members, editing and then finally completing the production work.
Things to Keep in Mind
If you made it this far, you deserve a pat on the back because getting into any medical university is a challenge let alone being accepted into Shaikh Khalifa bin Zayed al-nahyan Medical and Dental College (SKZMDC). No doubt, you possess the necessary skills and a right frame of mind to succeed in the challenging world of medical sciences. And what better place to prepare you for those challenges then Shaikh Khalifa bin Zayed al-nahyan Medical and Dental College (SKZMDC). By intention of warning you, however we would like to point out that life at a medical college is not easy, may it be any college. Even the most intelligent and hardworking students sometimes get frustrated and tangled in all the work along with extra-curricular activities. So to give you a heads up on how to deal with a few basic issues, we’ve constructed a simple guide below to help you along your student life:
Manage your Time
To stay on top and survive in this world you have to stay up to date on everything. However that is much easier said than done. A lot of work can go to waste, deadlines can be missed, marks can be lost and it can even affect your health if a proper schedule is not formed and followed. The only way to avoid all this is to organize your work from the get-go. The minute studies start you need to start organizing your tasks according to their importance and impact. Never leave that till tomorrow which you can do today. Try to get every assignment/worksheet/homework done as soon as possible. Keep track of all your classes and work and you’ll definitely succeed.
Studies can be tough and exhausting. It may feel like there’s no end to it. So it is important to keep yourself motivated and focused by rewarding yourself for all the effort you’ve put in. Find different ways to relax yourself from time to time. Take up a sport, find a good book or just kick back and relax. No one can work nonstop without burning out. It’s important to understand that med school is not a sprint but a marathon.
Dr. Najeeb Lectures
Unlike school, college requires a lot of self-studying and may not be as intuitive as you’d like. There will be plenty of instances where self-help will be required. The teachers will only be able to convey so much knowledge to you. Sometimes it’s the circumstances that could demand a little hard work from your end. For example the teacher assigned to you may not be able to impart knowledge as effectively, or their method of teaching isn’t like the one you’re used to. At times like these one can only resort to taking help from either a friend or the internet.
That’s where Dr. Najeeb Lectures come in. Dr. Najeeb Lectures provides students with a vast number of videos lectures on almost all the courses in current curriculum of medical colleges, providing content on the subject of Gross Anatomy, Neuroanatomy, Embryology, Histology, Physiology, Biochemistry, Genetics, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Immunology, and Pathology. The video lectures offer visualization of the material that you study in course books hence making it a lot easier to understand. They also contain hand drawn illustrations of step-by-step processes which help in retention of knowledge. And best of all you can get lifetime access and download their application making them available anytime, anywhere.
Just as no two human beings can have similar life experiences, no two students can have the same clinical experience. Your experience will be what you make of it. Keep in mind that whatever you learn is not to be forgotten. You are opting for a career that requires retention of knowledge for a lifetime. To look at the short term aspects, what you learn will be there again in your finals, and again during residency when you start treating actual patients. So whatever you learn, make sure you understand it completely now, casual look-ups are fine to jock up your memory when required but if you don’t understand the concept you will have to do it sooner rather than later.
Throughout your life, you will get to meet new and different people. Consider your life at this college as a training for that. Here too, you will meet different kind of people. You will need to learn how to assess a person; it will be for your own good. Avoid trouble and steer clear of bad influencers. Even if you end up having a bad experience with some, do not get your hopes down or isolate yourself, instead consider it a lesson and move on.
So, remain focused, perseverance is key, keep our tips in mind, work hard and you will be good to go.