University College of Medical Sciences Research Center (UCMS)
Introduction of University College of Medical Sciences Research Center (UCMS)
University College of Medical Sciences and Research Center (UCMS) is located in New Delhi, India. It was founded in 1971 to provide Medical education to every student of India who qualified. It is affiliated to the University of Delhi and is ranked among the top 10 Medical colleges in India. The university is associated with Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital and is approved by the Medical Council of India. University College of Medical Sciences Research Center (UCMS) has a highly qualified and devoted teaching staff who are very supportive towards their students.University College of Medical Sciences Research Center (UCMS) aims to deliver integrated excellence in the form of education and research. It provides a learning environment for undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate students of medicine. Along with this University College of Medical Sciences Research Center (UCMS) also aims to instill in their students; the wish and capacity to further study, specialize and research in the field of Health and Medical Sciences.
Before applying for the admission test candidates have to be eligible. Following are the eligibility criteria’s:
- Candidate applying should be an Indian National.
- The candidate should have completed 17 years of age as on 31st of December of the previous year.
- The maximum age limit for the candidate applying is 25 years for general category.
- Candidate must have passed/appeared in 10+2 examination with Physics, Chemistry Biology/Bio-technology and English as compulsory subjects in class 11th and 12th from recognized schools conducting regular classes situated with Delhi-NCR only.
- The candidate should have a minimum of 50% aggregate in the above examinations.
- For candidates belonging to SC/ OBC/ ST there is a relaxation of 5% for the minimum aggregate.
After clearing all the eligibility conditions the candidate has to appear for the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET).
National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test
The entrance test has 180 MCQs with 4 options to choose from. The exam is conducted in 3 hours and the number of question per subject is as follows:
Number of Questions
- The maximum number of marks a candidate can achieve is 720.
- For every correct answer the candidate gets 4 marks and for every wrong answer the candidate loses one mark.
- The exam has to be performed with a black or blue pen.
- The questions from the above subjects are related to the information the candidate studied in 10+2 levels at school.
After the NEET examination takes place, a merit list is prepared and students are chosen according to their merit number. However, if two or more students have equal scores in NEET, preference will be given to
- Candidate having higher marks in Biology, NEET.
- Candidate having higher marks in Chemistry, NEET.
- Candidate older in age.
Students who are selected after the NEET examination scores then are given a schedule of NEET counseling in which they are guided about the subjects being offered in University College of Medical Sciences Research Center (UCMS) and how to complete the admission process. However, for this, NEET counseling, some documents are required:
- 10th class examination mark sheet and certificate.
- HSC examination mark sheet and certificate.
- NEET admit card and score sheet.
- Course and Conduct certificate.
- Caste certificate for candidates seeking SC/ ST/ OBC quota.
Formalities Required for a 1st Year MD/MS/MDS Student After Admission
For candidates enrolling in MD/ MD/ MDS degrees the following certificated have to be deposited to the Faculty:
- Admit card issued by AIPGEE.
- Rank letter issued by AIPGEE.
- Provisional allotment letter issued by MOHFW.
- Mark sheets of MBBS/ BDS 1st, 2nd and 3rd provisional examination.
- MBBS/ BDS Degree certificate.
- Internship completion certificate.
- Permanent/ Provisional Registration Certificate issued by MCI or DCI.
- High School/ Birth Certificate as a proof of date of birth.
- The candidate should also bring the following certificates if applicable:
- OBC certificate issued by competent authority.
- SC/ ST certificate issued by competent authority. The certificate should be in English or Hindi.
- Orthopedic Physical Disability certificate issued by an authorized Medical Board.
- Surety Bond of Rs. 5 lakhs.
- Three passport size photographs.
- Two demand drafts in favor of ‘Registrar, University of Delhi’, payable at Delhi, amounting to:
- Rs. 15,600/- for all categories for annual tuition fee and other fee for 1st year of the courses.
- Rs. 1,500/- for general/ OBC category. Rs. 1,000/- for SC/ ST category and candidates with any disability for cost of Bulletin of Information and Application form for admission to PG courses.
- Two set of copies of all the above documents.
Departments in University College of Medical Sciences Research Center (UCMS)
- Biostatistics & Medical Informatics
- Community Medicine
- Forensic Medicine
- Obstetrics & Gynaecology
Courses Offered at University College of Medical Sciences Research Center (UCMS)
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)
- Bachelor of Science (B.SC.) Medical Technology in Radiography
- Doctorate of Medicine (MD)
- Master of Surgery (M.S.)
- Master of Science (M.Sc) Medical Imagine Technology
Fee Structure of University College of Medical Sciences Research Center (UCMS)
Following is the fee structure for all the courses offered:
Fee Per Year in ₹
Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)
Bachelor of Science (B.SC.) Medical Technology in Radiography
Doctorate of Medicine (MD)
Master of Surgery (M.S.)
Master of Science (M.Sc) (Medical Imagine Technology)
University College of Medical Sciences Research Center (UCMS) also offers many scholarships for well deserving and high achieving students. There are many scholars, they are as follows:
Post Matric Scholarship of Scheduled Castes Students: The Scheduled Caste students admitted in the College are eligible for the Post-Matric Scholarship of the NCT Delhi. The last date for receipt of application for the Scholarship at the Directorate of Education, Delhi Administration, through the College is generally 30th November every year.
Saraswati Foundation (NGO) Endowment Scholarship: The scholarship of Rs. 2000/- p.m. awarded on merit-cum-means basis of one year’s duration renewable every year at the commencement of the studies. Applicants are invited by the Trust some time during the month of October/ November.
V.C. Students’ Fund: Scholarship of the value of Rs.200/- p.m. is open to students securing at least 60% marks in the last qualifying examination and whose father/guardian’s income is less than Rs.750/- p.m. The notification for this scholarship is generally issued by the University in January/February.
Dr. A.N. Duggal Endowment Scholarship: Scholarship of Rs.100/- p.m. is awarded to students whose parent’s income does not exceed Rs.750/- p.m. The award is for the duration of the Course subject to yearly review. The scholarship is normally notified in September/October.
NCERT Scholarship: Scholarship of Rs.200/- p.m. is awarded on academic progress of the student. The scholarship is notified in July/August.
Post Matric Scholarship Harijan and Samaj Kalyan (Lucknow) U.P: Scholarship of the value of Rs. 500/- per annum is awarded to SC/ST students. The Scholarship is notified in April/May.
National Merit Scholarship: Given Rs.1000/- to Rs. 2000/- p.m. respectively to student in UG & PG courses who had secured minimum of 80% marks in 10+2 not helping to creamy layer.
Dr. N.C. Kapoor Memorial Scholarship: Scholarship of Rs.300/- is awarded to needy and deserving students. The award is for the duration of the Course subject to yearly review. The scholarship is normally notified in Sept./Oct. every year.
S.J. Jindal Trust: Scholarship is offered to needy students securing at least 55% marks at the qualifying examination for higher studies.
Indian Oil Company Scholarship: Scholarship of Rs. 750/- is given to deserving SC/ST students pursuing studies in full time graduate Course in Medicine. Scholarship is renewed on yearly basis subjects to satisfactory performance of the student.
CBSE Merit Scholarship: Scholarship of Rs.1000/- p.m. is given to meritorious students pursuing MBBS course after 10+2 CBSE Examination.
- For release of periodical installment of each of the above scholarships, the awardee has to show a satisfactory progress in studies. For this purpose an individual record is maintained in the Department concerned and at the Academic Section of the College.
- Students are expected to be in touch with the Academic Section and also see the Notice Board from time to time to enable them to apply for the scholarship.
Medals and Awards
To encourage its students to study University College of Medical Sciences Research Center (UCMS) holds an award and medal distribution ceremony on the Annual day of college where students are given awards based on their merit in the university examination.
The awards presented are as follows:
- Delhi Medical Association Gold Medal: Awarded to the best outgoing student of the College.
- Smt. Rukmani Gopalkrishnan Memorial Medal: Awarded to the student securing highest marks in Surgery at the College level in the Final M.B.B.S. Examination.
- Dr. (Miss) L.V. Pathak Medal: Awarded to the student securing highest marks at the College level in Obstetrics & Gynecology in the Final M.B.B.S. Examination.
- Smt. Ram Pyari and Shri L.N. Chugh Memorial Medal: Awarded to student securing the highest marks at the College level in Medicine in the Final M.B.B.S. Examination.
- Major (Dr.) Ashwani Kumar Kanva, V.S.M., Memorial Award: Awarded to the student who tops in the College in the subject of Community Medicine at Final Professional M.B.B.S. Examination.
- Major (Dr.) Ashwani Kumar Kanva, V.S.M. Memorial Award: Awarded to The Best intern in Pediatrics.
- Pallab Choudhary Award: Awarded to the student securing highest marks at the College level in Microbiology in the Second Professional Examination.
- K. Sridharan Awards: Awarded to the students securing highest marks at the College level in each of the subjects of Anatomy, Pharmacology & Ophthalmology in the First, Second & Final Professional Examinations, respectively.
- Col. Barkat Narain Medal/Prize: Awarded to the student securing highest marks at the College level in Community Medicine at the Final M.B.B.S.
- Kanahya Lal Gulati Award: Awarded to the student who tops in the subject of Physiology in the College in the 1st Professional M.B.B.S. Examination.
- Dr. Abhijeet Malhotra Memorial Award: Awarded to the student securing highest marks at the College level at the Final Professional Examination.
- Ram Chand Dua Award: Awarded to the student securing highest marks at the College level at the First Professional Examination.
- Ratan Mani Sharma Award: Awarded to the student securing highest marks at the College level at the Second Professional Examination.
- Potha Prgada Award: Awarded to the student securing highest marks in Biochemistry at the College level at the First Professional Examination.
- Dr. Krishan Kumar Gupta Award: Awarded for standing First in Forensic Medicine in the College.
- Dr. S.K. Goel memorial Award: Awarded for standing First in ENT in the College.
- Dr. Madhu Saxena Memorial Awards:
- Awarded for Best Outgoing Post-graduate student in Medicine at the College level.
- Awarded for standing first in Medicine at College level at final M.B.B.S. Examination.
- Faculty of Pathology-Golden Jubilee of Independence Award: Awarded for standing First in Pathology at the College level in Second M.B.B.S. Examination.
- Roentgen Medal: Awarded to the student who secures highest percentage of marks at B.Sc. (M.T.) Radiography final Exam.
- Dr. Kusum Pandit Memorial Award: For the best thesis—open to all the Post-graduates.
- Dr. U.K. Srivastava Award: For Best P.G. in Surgery.
- Merit Awards: Awarded to the students securing First, Second & Third position in aggregate respectively at the College level in each of the University Professional Examination.
Campus of University College of Medical Sciences Research Center (UCMS)
University College of Medical Sciences Research Center (UCMS) has a large campus with numerous facilities for its students and staff. The campus also has a hospital by the name of Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital (GTB). The campus has freshly mowed lawns, sports facilities, hostel facilities, a state of the art library and many more facilities.
University College of Medical Sciences Research Center (UCMS) has three top notch lecture halls with audio-visual facility. These halls have a seating capacity of about 180 people each, along with a side room and a projection room. Apart from these three lecture theatres there is a mini lecture theater as well with the same facilities but a seating capacity of 90 people.
There are air conditioned examination halls with audio-visual facilities, a side room and a seating capacity of 170. These theaters are also used for guest lectures, clinical meetings, debates and quiz contests, conferences/seminars/workshops, and cultural activities including film shows.
The audio-visual facilities in the lecture and examination halls provide the following equipment:
- Audio amplifying system including audio mixers and speakers with cord and cordless mikes (collar & hand mikes).
- Audio recording and playing facilities.
- Projection facilities including motorized screens, overhead projectors, LCD projectors, DVD player and laptops for PowerPoint presentations.
- Active panels, interactive boards and electronic assessment (voting) devices – very useful for interactive sessions and quiz programs.
- Electronic cable connection with cameras between the surgical operation theatre of the hospital and the lecture theatre for direct interactive audio-visual transmission of surgeries to the audience in the lecture theatre.
- 16 mm movie projection facilities for film shows.
- Epidiascopes for projections from books.
- V.C.R. facilities.
- Audio-visual facilities are also available for pandal purposes.
- Telemedicine facility for video-conferencing. It can be linked to several institutions as well as to our primary health centers and is useful for academic, research and health services.
The library of University College of Medical Sciences Research Center (UCMS) consists of the Central library and also libraries of each department. The Central library has a vast collection of books, journals, back volume journals, thesis, WHO publications and CD ROMs. The library is air-conditioned and has internet facility as well. The library has a separate reading room for students who come to study.
The Central library is open from 8AM till 8PM from Monday till Saturday. On Sundays it is open from 8AM till 4PM. The reading room however is open 24 hours on all seven days of the week.
University College of Medical Sciences Research Center (UCMS) also has a Central Animal House (CAH) in which experiments are performed on different animals. The Central Animal House is registered with the Committee for the Purpose of Control and Supervision of Experiments on Animals (CPCSEA), Ministry of Environment and Forests, Govt. of India and has an established Institutional Animal Ethics Committee (IAEC) that advises the institution and teachers/researchers on facilities, policies and practices at CAH concerning the care and use of animals. Periodic health monitoring of the animals is carried out to ascertain the health status of the animals. In addition, feed and water analysis are also taken care periodically for assessing their quality and microbiological contamination.
There are two hostels, one each for boys and girls. There are also some other residential buildings on the campus for staff and other members.
The following timings are observed for the dining hall facilities:
- Breakfast-7:30 to 9:00 a.m.
- Lunch-1:00 to 2:00 p.m.
- Evening Tea-5:15 to 5:45 p.m.
- Dinner-8:00 to 9:00 p.m.
The hostels also have a common room which remains open from 5:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. every day except on Sunday and other holidays when common room remains open from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
Parents, guardians and guests can visit from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. However, in case of emergency/urgency, the resident may request for visiting room facility.
Apart from all this University College of Medical Sciences Research Center (UCMS) also has a Skills laboratory, Medical Education unit, canteens which are present all over the campus and many sports facilities like football, basketball, cricket, table tennis.
Student Life at University College of Medical Sciences Research Center (UCMS)
After months and months of continuous studying and hard work you have finally achieved what you desired because getting into University College of Medical Sciences and Research Center is something worth being proud of. However, the journey has just begun. University life is a marathon not a sprint so you have to stay steady, keep working hard and stay focused. It is nothing like college, better in some ways but a little hectic in others. Here are a few heads up on what to expect and what to do and not to do when you get into any university.
The initials days of university are nerve raking because it’s the start of your professional life in one way or another and on top of that you don’t know anyone there to share your problems and thoughts with. But not to worry, each of your batch mate feels the same so this is an ideal time to make friends because once the grouping of friends has been done it’s near to impossible to fit into anyone’s group. Choose your friends wisely as they’ll be there through your lows and highs for the next 5 years. Avoid conflict with anyone and if you do end up in one try to solve it as maturely as possible as broken friendships can have an adverse effect on your studies and mental health.
Time management is the key to success. Not only in university but later in life when you enter adulthood as well. Mange your work load by dividing the assignments, quizzes, family gathers and friend gatherings you have go to. Keep your life balanced, too much studying can make you lose your focus after some time and too many hangouts can affect your progress in studies. Make a schedule or a to-do list for daily tasks, whatever they may be. Never leave any task for the next day and be vigilant.
Dr Najeeb Lectures
Every student has been through those times where you truly have to teach yourself due to various reasons. Time clashes, bad delivery from the lecturer, inability to understand a topic sufficiently etc. A super easy way to overcome this hurdle is to watch Dr. Najeeb Lectures which are packed with hand drawn illustrations and cover each topic very thoroughly. They are the world’s most popular medical lectures which cover all the topics of Gross Anatomy, Neuroanatomy, Embryology, Histology, Physiology, Biochemistry, Genetics, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Immunology and Pathology. You can also have a lifetime access to all these lectures and if you download their app you can listen to these lectures wherever, whenever.
It’s hard to keep yourself on track when the pressure gets to you but keep a clear mind and you’ll do great. Make responsible decisions which will help pave your way to success. Be persistent towards your pursuit for knowledge. Persevere through the hard times and you’ll come out on top.
Long Term Learning
You shouldn’t focus on flash memorizing material but focus on developing ways to retain information for the long run as most subject matter is repeated.
Just as no two human beings can ever be the same in their life experiences, no two students can have the same clinical experience. Your experience will be what you make of it. Keep in mind that whatever you learn is not to be forgotten. You are opting for a career that requires retention of this knowledge for a lifetime. To look at the short term aspects, what you learn will be there again in your finals, and again during residency when you start treating actual patients. So whatever you learn, make sure you understand it completely now, casual lookups are fine to jock up your memory when required but if you don’t understand the concept you will have to do it later on. At the end we would like to assure you that there are always ups and downs in life. Don’t lose hope, keep our tips in mind and Good luck!