University of Maryland School of Medicine
About University of Maryland medical center:
University of Maryland medical center, also known as University of Maryland School of Medicine. (UMSOM) is located in Baltimore City, Maryland, United States. UMSOM was established in 1807 and it is affiliated with the University of Maryland Medical Centre. U.S. News surveys more than 800 institutions with a graduate school on an annual basis and UMSOM is one of those universities. It is also ranked as the 8th-highest public medical school in research productivity. Moreover, UMSOM is the 1st public medical college in the United States with 43 academic departments, centers, institutes, and programs.
University of Maryland medical center is equipped with experienced faculty and subject matter experts which includes more than 3,000 physicians, scientists, and allied health professionals, including members of the National Academy of Medicine. Currently, UMSOM offers 10 joint programs which include:
- Two doctorate programs (MD/Ph.D. and MD/DDS).
- Seven MD/Master’s degree programs.
- DPT/Ph.D. degree program.
Location & Contact Details:
Location:655 West Baltimore Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21201 1559, United States.
Mission and Goals of University of Maryland medical center:
The University of Maryland is dedicated to achieve the following goals by providing high-quality medical education to its students:
- To be able to demonstrate deductive reasoning in solving clinical problems, including situations in which information is incomplete or ambiguous.
- To possess a commitment to promote the health and well-being of the communities served.
- To teach their students to work effectively with the other members of the health care team and provide quality patient care and service to improve the health of the citizens of Maryland and beyond.
- To possess dedication to the well-being and needs of patients and have an ability to build therapeutic relationships with patients.
- To demonstrate a commitment to excellence and ongoing professional development.
Following are some of the values which will help UMSOM fulfill their mission and goals:
Excellence:The School, faculty, trainees, and students will demonstrate a commitment to excellence and ongoing professional development.
- Respect, Ethical Behavior, and Professionalism: The School will encourage its students, faculty, and trainees to possess a dedication to the well-being and needs of patients and demonstrate responsibility and trustworthiness in the execution of all duties.
Leadership:The School will assume a leadership role to teach its students to possess a commitment to promote the health and well-being of the communities served.
Diversity:The School will ensure diversity in its faculty, trainees, subject matter experts as well as the courses which are offered to students.
Departments of University of Maryland medical center:
University of Maryland medical center believes in coordinating and collaborating across different departments to increase their productivity among them so that they can provide outstanding medical education to future doctors. Following are the Departments of UMSOM:
- Department of Anatomy & Neurobiology
- Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Department of Dermatology
- Department of Diagnostic Radiology and Nuclear Medicine
- Department of Emergency Medicine
- Department of Epidemiology and Public Health
- Department of Family and Community Medicine
- Department of Medical and Research Technology
- Department of Medicine
- Department of Microbiology and Immunology
- Department of Neurology
- Department of Neurosurgery
- Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences
- Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences
- Department of Pharmacology
- Department of Orthopedics
- Department of Otorhinolaryngology
- Department of Pathology
- Department of Pediatrics
- Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Science
- Department of Physiology
- Department of Psychiatry
- Department of Radiation Oncology
- Department of Surgery
Programs Offered at UMSOM:
Following are the Programs offered at University of Maryland medical center:
- Program for Aging, Trauma, & Emergency Care (PATEC)
- Program in Comparative Medicine
- Program in Health Disparities and Population Health
- Program in Oncology
- Program for Personalized and Genomic Medicine
- Program in Trauma
- Program in Sports Medicine
Research Centers at UMSOM:
UMSOM also has few research centers in their academic unit which are as follow:
- Center for Biomedical Engineering and Technology
- Center for Biomolecular Therapeutics (CBT)
- Center for Integrative Medicine
- Maryland Psychiatric Research Center
- Center for Research on Aging
- Center for Shock, Trauma and Anesthesiology Research
- Center for Stem Cell Biology & Regenerative Medicine
- Center for Vaccine Development and Global Health (CVD)
- Center for Vascular & Inflammatory Diseases
- Center for Epigenetic Research in Child Health & Brain Development
Graduate Education at UMSOM:
- GPILS-Graduate Program in Life Sciences
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Epidemiology & Human Genetics
- Molecular Medicine
- Molecular Microbiology & Immunology
- Physical Rehabilitation Science (Ph.D.)
- PT & Rehabilitation Science (DPT)
- Cellular and Molecular Biomedical Science MS Program
- Epidemiology & Human Genetics
- Genetic Counseling
- Laboratory Management
- Master of Public Health (MPH)
- Pathologists’ Assistants Program
Those individuals who have previously been awarded the degree of Doctor of Medicine from a foreign medical school are not eligible for admission to the University of Maryland School of Medicine.
However, there are few academic requirements which are enlisted below and they MUST be fulfilled:
- The Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) and a minimum of 90 hours of accredited arts and science credit are required for matriculation.
- Credit hours must have been earned at colleges or universities accredited by one of the regional accrediting organizations as recognized by the Council of Higher Education Accreditation.
- Preference will be given to applicants with a Bachelor’s degree.
- The following courses must be completed, with a grade of “C” or better, before matriculation:
- Biological Sciences (with lab) – 8 hours
- Inorganic Chemistry (with lab) – 8 hours
- Organic Chemistry (with lab) – 8 hours
- Physics (with lab) – 8 hours
- English – 6 hours
How to apply?
- All applications to the University of Maryland, School of Medicine must be initiated through the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS).
- The AMCAS application is the first of a two-stage process and must be on file with AMCAS by the November 1st deadline.
- All AMCAS applicants are invited to submit a University of Maryland School of Medicine secondary application after the AMCAS application is received and the deadline is 15th December and the secondary application fee of $80.00 is non-refundable.
- It is STRONGLY recommended that the application forms, letters of recommendation and all other supporting credentials be filed as early as is possible in the application period.
- The application process is conducted on a rolling basis. All decisions regarding the selection process are made by a committee of current faculty and students.
- Each applicant’s credentials are evaluated by the Committee on Admissions to determine if an interview is to be granted.
- Those applicants who will be invited for the interview will receive one of three decisions from the Committee on Admissions: Accept, Reject or Wait List. Applicants who are offered acceptance will have three weeks to respond to that offer.
All department fees are to be paid by check or money order only and are non-refundable.
- 2017-2018 New Junior Students – $755 Teaching Lab Fee and $100 seat deposit.
- 2017-2018 New Categorical Students – $400 Teaching Lab Fee and $100 seat deposit.
Facilities on Campus:
- Convenience Services: There are several convenience services provided to students by the School:
- Gift Shop
- Lost and Found
- Vending Machines
- Cafeteria:UMSOM has a beautiful cafeteria on the campus which has enough seating capacity for students and staff. The Cafeteria is equipped with a modern kitchen and seating. It serves hygienic, fresh and healthy food at a very reasonable price. The hours of Cafeteria are mentioned below:
Monday – Friday
- Breakfast: 6:30 am – 10 am
- Lunch: 11 am – 2 pm (hot food), 2 pm – 4 pm (lite fare)
- Dinner: 4 pm – 6:30 pm (hot food)
Saturday – Sunday
- Breakfast: 6:30 am – 10 am
- Lunch: 11 am – 2:00 pm (hot food)
- Café closes at 2:00 pm
- University Recreation & Fitness (URecFit): This Department is focused on improving not only the academic experience but also empowering the physical, mindful, cultural, spiritual, emotional, and social development of the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) community. Following are the few facilities the School offers and they are maintained by URecFit:
- Eppley Tennis Court: It is located on the North Campus to the west of the Eppley Recreation Center. It has 8 lighted outdoor tennis courts that are free for all affiliates of the University. The court is open 7 days a week, Monday – Sunday from 6 a.m. to Midnight!
- Outdoor Basketball Courts: several outdoor basketball courts on the campus are maintained by the University Recreation and Wellness department. These courts are available for Free Play to every affiliate of the University and the spaces of these courts offer an informal recreation opportunity for the campus community.
- LaPlata Beach: It is located directly across from the front entrance of the Eppley Recreation Center, situated between several high-rise undergraduate residence hall communities. This place on the campus is usually referred to as “The Beach” because it is used for several games and activities such as Soccer and Volley Ball. This place is also for Free Play and it allows for both active and passive recreation and socialization opportunities.
- Severn Building Fitness Center: It is located in the Severn Building (Room 1309). The Fitness Center offers a variety of selectorized weight equipment, a full line of cardio equipment, free weights, a Smith Machine, foam rollers, and a cable-based multifunction piece.
- Natatorium: It is located in the Eppley Recreation Center. The Natatorium is one of the premier indoor swimming complexes in the region. This facility also can host large-scale swim meets and dive competitions along with other aquatic activities such as log rolling tournaments, water-based obstacle courses, and water polo.
- Outdoor Aquatic Center: It is located on the west end of the Eppley Recreation Center. It is an energetic and fun space aquatic game under the sun. From lap swimming to sand volleyball, or simply relaxing on the pool deck the OAC is a great place to be active during warm months.
- HS/HSL Library: The School has a Health Sciences and Human Services Library where students have full access to the medical collections which follows its history back to the early 1800s when the school was established. However, it is also wired to provide 21st– century students with the tools they need for advancement and excellence in all endeavors.
- Housing: There is a limited on-campus housing facility available for students in the Pascault Row Apartments or Fayette Square. Moreover, there are several homes that are available for rent or purchase near the School within walking distance of campus. Canton, Fells Point, and Federal Hill, located a short drive from campus, are also popular with students because of the wide variety of entertainment options they offer.
- UM Shuttle: This facility provides the affiliates of School with a variety of bus routes that travel to neighborhoods such as Federal Hill, Mount Vernon, Canton/Fells Point, and the BioPark. This facility is fare-free to the students, staff, and faculty of the University.
Why The University of Maryland medical center?
University of Maryland School of Medicine has a lot of top-rated undergraduates and graduate programs and the College believes in delivering outstanding service and education to its students to develop them into successful future doctors. We’ll discuss a few pros of UMSOM over here that why should anyone choose The University of Maryland, School of Medicine over any other Medical College in U.S.
Firstly, there is a HUGE selection of courses. There are a lot of top-rated courses available within every department to fulfill general education requirements for graduation. UMSOM offers a lot of research opportunities for undergraduates, and entrepreneurs. University of Maryland School of Medicine is the first school in the nation to have a cyber-security living-learning program.
Secondly, graduates of UMSOM are highly recruited. If we talk about campus life at UMSOM, then the student body is pretty satisfied over there as a whole and constant upgrades are being done to campus from time-to-time.
After getting into Medical School:
If getting into a medical college was easy, everybody would’ve been a doctor today, right? We aren’t talking about medical education here at the moment but even getting into a GOOD medical college isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. Getting into an institute like UMSOM is everyone’s dream and to be honest, a very big achievement too! You have worked so hard for this and finally, you got into your favorite college. Now, first things first, don’t be overwhelmed. You have passed one of the toughest steps in this journey but now, this is where the real journey begins.
You have to face a lot of challenges in this journey but don’t worry, you can overcome all of those by being a little bit more focused. We’ll share a few tips with you that’ll help you survive and succeed in the medical college.
Stay Focused and Set Realistic Goals:
From the first day, you need to be very focused on your goals. Nowadays, when you have tons of distractions in your life, it is difficult to stay focused, especially, while studying. You need to remind yourself every day that how hard you’ve worked all your life to get here to stay away from all the distractions which are bothering you. Focus is the key here. Once, you know your goals and you’re focused on how to achieve those goals, a lot of things will become easy for you automatically.
Now, when we say set REALISTIC goals for yourself, what does it mean? Don’t pressurize or overburden yourself by setting up goals that aren’t possible for you to achieve because it’ll lead to demotivation in the future when they won’t be accomplished. Now, it doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t set any high goals for yourself but in fact, you should start from the ground, build them from scratch and then move forward. Once, you’ve set some goals for yourself, you’ll have a direction to move into which will help you stay focused.
Create a suitable Study Plan:
We talked about how the focus is key while studying. Now, when it comes to staying focus while studying, you need to take care of a few other things too. First of all, develop a habit of PRE-STUDY. Don’t leave stuff for the last moment because it is going to harm you in the long-run when your brain wouldn’t accept a lot of information at once. Yes, it happens with not only you but with everyone. Most of the students keep on skipping things which they don’t understand due to which they can’t understand another thing but now, they don’t understand anything. Confusing, right?
To avoid being in this type of situation, make a study plan which is suitable for you. You know what is suitable for you and how you can cover all your subjects, so you can do it! Make that plan from the very start and ask for help from your teachers or classmates if you don’t understand anything instead of skipping it to avoid stressful cramming the night before. Sticking to this study plan will help you survive these 5 years of medical college easily as compared to those people who never created a study plan.
Take care of yourself:
Amidst all the difficulties of a medical student, the self-care factor can’t be ignored. Your health has a huge impact on your studies and productivity. Be a part of several clubs and societies that are present in your school and engage yourself in the activities to give yourself a break from studies. Studies have shown that participating in these extra-curricular activities not only benefits your body but also your brain and results in increased productivity.
Reward yourself if you achieve something, which means incentivizing hard work. This further grows seeds of more hard work and you’re inclined to do better each time in hope of reward from yourself. Give yourself a break now and then, rather than pilling up all the notes into your brain until it can’t take anymore. It can mean that pick a day or two in a week and spend time with your friends and family and do stuff that makes you feel happy and relax because your idea of self-care is entirely different depending upon your personality.
Dr. Najeeb Lectures:
Earlier, we talked about creating study plans for yourself. Now, there are a lot of reasons a student doesn’t understand anything in class. Maybe, the student is unable to focus in class or make notes or unable to attend classes or unable to understand the lecture or whatever the reason might be. This is a very tough situation for a medical student, especially, when every word being said in class is very important. You try to ask for help from your classmates or teachers but you aren’t still satisfied because your learning methods are a bit different maybe? But ever imagined a time when a person is a click away for all the solutions to his problems? You can imagine, now that Dr. Najeeb Lectures are at your disposal. These lectures accommodate students with different learning styles, by addressing to a diverse set of students with different capabilities. Thus, these lectures are understood widely by every student all over the world, and they’re likely to be your best option.
These topics cover a wide canvas encompassing Neuro-anatomy, Embryology, Histology, Physiology, Biochemistry, Genetics, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Immunology, and Pathology. These lectures cover almost all the topics currently in the medical curriculum of almost all the medical institutes. Furthermore, what makes us unique is our ability to give our students a visual representation that makes it easier for the students to store the knowledge in their brain effortlessly. Furthermore, our application makes you accessible to the lectures irrespective of where and when, with no time constraints. Thus, with so many strong aspects of these lectures, these lectures should be your go-to, making your life easy without any constraints and barriers therein.
In the end, we would like to assure you that there are always ups and downs in life. Don’t lose hope, keep our tips in mind and Good luck!