University of Utah, School of Medicine
Founded in 1905 as a two-year medical school, the University of Utah School of Medicine was converted into a four-year medical degree college in 1941. The School of Medicine is located in Salt Lake City, Utah, on the upper campus of Utah University. It is the only MD-granting institution in Utah. UUSOM was ranked 15th best medical school in research, 14th best in primary care and 2nd best in physician assistance program by US News and World Report 2020.
The University of Utah School of Medicine blends excellence in teaching, research, and clinical experience to train the physicians of tomorrow for the quickly-changing medicine world. The School of Medicine teaches the majority of physicians in Utah with a staff of more than 1,000 physicians and scholars and 22 departments of clinical and basic science.
The Utah university School of medicine serves the people of utah and beyond by continuity
Improving the health and quality of life of individuals and communities. This is accomplished
by patient care awareness and scientific excellence. Each is essential to the mission, and each strengthens the other.
- Without compromise, provides compassionate care.
- To train future scientists and health care physicians.
- To advance knowledge and well-being, by promoting research.
- Relationships based on trust and mutual respect.
- Capabilities and talents of each member of the learning community to contribute according to their strengths.
- Responsibility of each member of the community towards each other.
- Accountability to professional standards of attitudes and behavior.
- Appreciation for diversity of views and collaborative teamwork spirit.
- Compassion for imparting education.
- Collaboration for excellent research and development.
To provide the students of UUSOM with an exceptional learning experience to promote their development into competent and caring professionals. To achieve the outstanding learning vision UUSOM values:
Applying to UUSOM
- Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) no more than four years previous to matriculation.
Until enrolling at the University of Utah School of Medicine, you must have a bachelor’s degree and complete your premedical courses at a regionally accredited college in the United States or Canada. Accepted students will be required to provide transcripts for each college attended. Before matriculation, the degree must be posted.
Coursework for Science
4 semesters to include both a general chemistry series including all applicable laboratories (including both quantitative and qualitative analysis) and an organic chemistry series comprising all applicable laboratories. Advanced placement credit earned with a score of four or five meets this requirement for one semester.
2 semesters of physics with applicable labs
2 semesters one course in Cell Biology or Social Science
1 semester (history, economics, anthropology, psychology, etc.)
1 semester (art, music, drama, literature, etc.).
- If you are currently an undergraduate, you must complete all bachelor’s degree requirements before matriculating at the UUSOM. If you are currently enrolled in a graduate program, you must complete all advanced degree requirements before matriculation.
- Applicants are bound to have only one medical school position at a time after the 30th of April. The acceptances that you possess will be reported by AMCAS to medical university. For the betterment of applicants on the waiting list, try to make your decision your decision as soon as possible and inform the Admissions Office of UUSOM.
- All candidates applying should have completed at least 90 semester hours of course work in an accredited Canadian or U.S. college.
- Applicants who are not U.S. nationals or permanent residents in the U.S. can apply as well, provided that they have completed a minimum of 90 semester hours of course work in an accredited Canadian or U.S college.
- Applicants who present MCAT test scores, those test scores can be from the current version of MCAT or the future version of MCAT, however, the test should be taken no later than 30th September of the year before matriculation.
- The average GPA and MCAT for the entering class of 2019 was:
- 3.78 Cumulative GPA with a range of 3.24-4.00
- 3.75 Science GPA with a range of 3.11-4.00
- 518 MCAT, with a range of 504-526. Mode: 519
Conditions for Acceptance and continuation of Degree
- MS Anesthesiology
- MS Biochemistry
- MS Biomedical Informatics
- MS Dermatology
- MS Family & Preventive Medicine
- MS Human Genetics
- MS Internal Medicine
- MS Neurobiology & Anatomy
- MS Neurology
- MS Neurosurgery
- MS Obstetrics & Gynecology
- MS Oncological Sciences
- MS Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences
- MS Orthopedics
- MS Pathology
- MS Pediatrics
- MS Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- MS Population Health Sciences
- MS Psychiatry
- MS Radiation Oncology
- MS Radiology & Imaging Sciences
- MS Surgery
- Genome Science Certificate
- Global Health Certificate
- Graduate Certificate in Global Medicine
- Health Services Administration (HSA)
- Informatics Certificate
- Occupational Safety & Health Certificate
- Patient-Centered Outcomes Research/Comparative Effectiveness Research Certificate
- Personalized Health Care Certificate
- Public Health Certificate
- BioVentures Program Certification
- Biomedical Informatics
- Family & Preventive Medicine
- Human Genetics
- Internal Medicine
- Neurobiology & Anatomy
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Oncological Sciences
- Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences
- Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Population Health Sciences
- Radiation Oncology
- Radiology & Imaging Sciences
- Gateway heights
- Sage point
- Benchmark plaza
- Marriott honors community
- Lassonde studios
- Officers circle
- Shoreline ridge
- U of u at block 44
- Downtown commons 1
- Downtown commons 2
- Cedar court 700
- Chapel glen
Students need recreational activities to perform well and to make their minds function properly. Exercise and sports are essential for a healthy body and a healthy brain. UUSOM has the facilities of baseball for men, basketball for women, cross country for women, football, golf for men, gymnastics for men, lacrosse for men, skiing for men and women, soccer for women, softball, swimming & diving for men, swimming & diving for women, tennis for men, tennis for women, track & field, volleyball, beach volleyball. There are huge basketball courts, gigantic swimming pools, widespread volleyball courts always hustling with students, soccer grounds adding to the sports infrastructure of the University of Utah.
The library at the University of Utah is one of the world’s best resources for knowledge. The library offers the facilities of interlibrary loan, print/copy and scan service, computer labs and tech loans, course reserves, digital items and the facilities of study rooms and projectors.
Housing and Residential Education helps the students to find the place for residence and housing mentioned below are the options for residence:
Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
Hours: Monday—Friday, 6:30 am—10 pm
Saturday—Sunday, and Holidays, 8 am—8 pm
Hours: 24 hours/7 days a week
Location: first floor, hospital lobby
Hours: 6 am- 10:30AM
Location: A level at the base of the elevators
The Point Restaurant
Breakfast 7 am—10:30 am
Lunch 11 am—2 pm
Location: Floor 6, Huntsman Cancer Institute
The Point Bistro
Location: Floor 6, Huntsman Cancer Institute
Hours: Monday—Friday, 7 am—8:30 pm
Saturday—Sunday, 11 am—7 pm
The Night Bistro
Hours: 10 pm–3 am
Location: Level A at the base of the elevators
2020-21 General Scholarship Application Opens: September 16, 2019
2020-21 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Opens: October 1, 2019
2020-21 Freshman Admissions Priority Date: November 1, 2019
2020-21 Transfer Admissions Priority Date: February 1, 2020
2020-21 Financial Aid Priority Date: February 1. 2020
Dr. Najeeb Lectures:
After entering medical college, the load of hard work increases to a big extent. At school students get guidance from notes and books as the course outline is well defined and remains unchanged for years. School students have to strictly follow the course by book and revise the course by past papers but for medical college students, the course content keeps getting revised. Every year some additions or modifications are made to the course. So, students need help with no previous material or a specific book can be of assistance. One cannot always go to the teacher for there are times when the teacher is not available. In such a dire situation where assistance for understanding difficult concepts is needed and you are short of time. The best choice you have is to save your time and utilize the best resource out there Dr. Najeeb’s Lectures. These are video lectures which are an incredible source for self-studying. Dr. Najeeb’s Lectures are the world’s best medical lectures, covering every aspect of Gross Anatomy, Neuro-anatomy, Embryology, Histology, Physiology, Biochemistry, Genetics, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Immunology, and Pathology. These lectures comprise of visualizations of knowledge delivered by books. These lectures also comprise of hand-drawn illustrations to further clarify concepts of students. Furthermore, one can get lifetime access to these lectures and even download the app to avail them anytime, anywhere.
Work in the Correct Direction
First of all, you have to identify what your correct direction is. For choosing the correct direction you should always emulate the people who are successful in the field you are pursuing. By taking advice from the successful people and following their footsteps you will be able to start from the basics of how accomplished people started their journey and then you can introduce new ideas and innovations. The more you will interact with successful people more likely it will get for you to find the correct direction.
Always Trust Yourself
There are times when you are not able to get the highest grade or a certain concept is not understandable. Students end up losing hope and doubting themselves. You shouldn’t get disheartened and always trust yourself.
In the end, we would like to motivate you to work hard and contribute your talents to the world. Don’t give up in hard times, always stay positive and Good luck!