The University of Nevada Las Vegas School of Medicine
About UNLV School Of Medicine
The University of Nevada Las Vegas Medical School was formally found on 22 August 2014 once the School board of the Nevada Higher Education System endorsed financing for the initial finances of the medical college. The project was introduced to the Senate of Nevada, where the whole plan was passed.
- Offering quality medical assistance to every community member.
- Attracting, engaging and promoting outstanding medical practitioners and personnel.
- Making available the best education and learning towards the future prosperity of healthcare professionals.
- Designing strategic collaborations that promote the vision, mission, and values of UNLV Medicine.
- Varied and broad
- Fair, reliable, and clear
- Safe and healthy
- Good performance and financially accountable
- Equally dutiful
- Devoted to collaborative development
- Recognize the value of different backgrounds and viewpoints.
- Foster cultural awareness and empathy.
- Creating an environment that welcomes everyone.
- Providing equal opportunities and programs for everyone.
- Cultivate relationships that are based on trust and respect.
- Recognize and respect each other’s talents and values.
- Engage in interprofessional education, research, clinical practice, and support.
- Involve stakeholders in their communities locally and globally to achieve common goals.
- Encourage and promote innovation, cleverness, and resourcefulness.
- Use new ideas and technology for improving education, science, and clinical practice.
- Manage the risk linked to innovation.
- Using innovation and creativity to embrace and drive the change.
- Set the highest performance expectations and results in education, science, operation, and clinical practice.
- Validate consistency through continuous improvement of the standard.
- Accept personal responsibility for moving towards excellence.
- Foster excellence by empowering faculty, staff, and students.
- Adhere to the organization’s standards of conduct, practices, and procedures.
- Recognize and take responsibility for one’s actions.
- Honesty and honesty shown.
- Use judicious power, and treat people fairly.
The mission of the UNLV Medical School is to preserve and optimize human life in and beyond Nevada through education, research, and patient care. The school developed a new plan with the goals of first engaging patients & families, advancing new knowledge and scientific discoveries, embracing diversity and inclusion, fostering innovation. The University plays an integral role in
this initiative by providing quality continuing medical education and continuing professional
development to enhance patient safety and improving clinical outcomes by finding and
eliminating discrepancies between existing clinical procedures and appropriate evidence-based
UNLV School Of Medicine Values
For being regarded as one of the most rigorous, collaborative, accredited healthcare providers in the area by the patients, supervisors, physicians, medical staff, the region & the nation, and also achieving comparable results.
This will be done by UNLV identifying as service representatives in an integrated health system through:
UNLV School of Medicine creates an environment which is:
UNLV SOM is committed to supporting physicians and other health care providers’ lifelong learning process by offering high-quality educational opportunities intended to advance the quality and safety of patient care in Nevada. By improving learners’ knowledge and success. The University is a strategic and organizational resource for the creation and development of continuing educational activities for physicians, health professionals, and interprofessional teams. Through collaborative relationships with university departments and organizations in the state and region, UNLV can provide leadership in improving healthcare.
Expected Results of Programs
Knowledge:Post-test evaluations and use of audience feedback systems on activity material are used to determine what learners know as a result of taking part in the activity.
Competence:Self-reported planned changes to practice, awareness of obstacles to change, identification of planned actions including commitment to change and engagement in case studies and centered simulation interactions assess the capacity of the learner to apply information.
Performance:Feedback on how students have incorporated modifications and realistic progress reviews throughout performance improvement activities. To look into how students have taken measures for the application of awareness, skills, and practices.
Patient-Outcomes: Analysis of nation-wide or regional results in practice documents reflects advancements in medical care practitioners and coordinated progress that has significant effects on different populations.
UNLV Medical School Admission
The UNLV School of Medicine is a part of the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS). Applications can be found online on the American Medical College Association website.
- Applicants must submit an AMCAS application to be considered for admission to the regular MD program or the Early Decision program at the UNLV College of Medicine.
- The Early Decision program is only available to in-state students.
- The AMCAS Early Decision deadline is August 1 and action is taken by the Admissions Committee by October 1.
- Students whose first choice of medical school is UNLV are encouraged to apply if they have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.5 and a minimum MCAT score of 506.
- When the confirmed AMCAS application is received by UNLV (4-6 weeks after it has been sent to AMCAS), all applicants are sent an email to the UNLV website where they can access the Secondary Application. All applicants receive the Secondary Application. A fee of $95 is charged upon submitting the application documents. Candidates who do not submit this supplementary application are not eligible for consideration.
- Applicants must send a doctor’s letter of recommendation. Letters will include details of the applicant’s behavior near a patient and their capacity to function in a medical setting. It can represent shadowing, volunteering or the experience of working.
- Applicants may send one pre-med letter from the counselor or committee, which includes the names and divisions of the committee members.
- Both letters should be signed.
- College science professors who have instructed the applicant in the appropriate science courses or suggested top-level science courses must write the science letters. These letters will be on the letterhead with the signature line academic credentials
- Applicants chosen for interviews are invited to participate in an interview day via email at the UNLV College of Medicine campus. Every applicant must have 3 interviews.
- Admission tender is extended rolling after 1 November*.
- Acceptance decisions are submitted monthly to the interviewed students. Those accepted are given two weeks to accept or reject the acceptance offer.
- AMCAS becomes available as an option for accepted students.
- Choice is only for approved students. This choice implies that it has refused all other admission offers and UNLV is the medical school of choice.
- Must be a resident of the U.S. Permanent resident or citizen of Canada upon submission. In case if the candidate does not belong to the above two classes he/she will opt for International Medicine program.
- Receipt of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in the United States or Canada is required before enrollment.
- 2 semesters General Biology with lab
- 2 semesters General Inorganic Chemistry with lab
- 1 to 2 semesters Organic Chemistry with lab
- 1 to 2 semesters Physics with lab
- Cell Biology
- College-level Mathematics
- Courses involving intensive writing experiences
UNLV School Of Medicine Eligibility Criteria:
Although no pre-requisite courses are required to perform successfully in the school’s program, UNLV strongly recommends completing the following courses at matriculation time:
UNLV prefers that coursework exposing students to the following disciplines:
UNLV School Of Medicine Departments
- Emergency Medicine
- Family and Community Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery
- Psychiatry and Behavioral Health
- Plastic Surgery
Scholarships and Financial Aids
Details on overall financial assistance would be presented to candidates during the process of the interview. Seniors who are already accepted to the UNLV School of Medicine can provide extra guidance and help for counseling. The UNLV students are eligible for federal loans and other programs. Applications should fulfill the Free Student Aid Application (FAFSA) to prove qualification for loans and services. After submission of the FAFSA, a notification from UNLV to offer financial assistance is produced and applicants may determine which scholarship grants they will intend to take during the educational tenure of 1 year. UNLV should be mentioned, otherwise, the university does not obtain details about your FAFSA.
- Debra and Gary Ackerman Scholarship
- Hope Anstett Scholarship
- Barbara F. Atkinson, MD and Maureen E. Schafer Scholarship
- Diana L. Bennett Scholarship
- William G. and Genene Boldt Scholarship
- The Cashman Family Scholarship
- Children’s Heart Center Nevada Scholarship
- Jeri S. and Richard T. Crawford Scholarship
- Jerald M. Dick Family Trust Scholarship
- Dignity Health-St. Rose Dominican Scholarship
- Engelstad Medical Scholars Program
- Thomas E. and Mary K. Gallagher Foundation Scholarship
- The Investment Counsel Company, Randy Garcia Scholarship
- Susan N. Houston and Richard & Claire MacDonald Scholarship
- Jameson Family Scholarship
- Jessup Family Scholarship
- Zeiter, Katz, Martin, and Rowe Scholarship
- John C. Kish Foundation Scholarship
- Dana and Gregory Lee Scholarship
- Irene and Duncan R. Lee Scholarship
- Tony and Renee Marlon Scholarship
- Robert and Paula Mendenhall Scholarship
- Emily Stevens Memorial Scholarship
- Edward J. and Maria Quirk Scholarship
- Sanchez Medical Research Scholarship
- Don and Dee Snyder Scholarship
- Benjamin William Sung Keun Misch Memorial Scholarship
- UNLV Alumni Association Scholarship
- Gloria & Mark Fine / Mayor Carolyn & Oscar Goodman Scholarship
- WellHealth Quality Care Scholarship
- Wells Fargo Scholarship
- Women’s Cancer Center of Nevada Scholarship
- Women’s Health Associates of Southern Nevada Scholarship
- Michael and Renee Yackira Scholarship
Life at UNLV School of Medicine
The UNLV School of Medicine seeks to build a healthy community for learners, employees, teachers, and personnel. During the whole curriculum, well-being is designed to assist students to deal with medical school’s harsh realities and develop resources to help themselves and the people and society they live in. The UNLV School of Medicine Wellness Program demonstrates expertise in reducing anxiety and improving their well-being.
- Double and triple room options
- Wireless Internet
- Premium cable TV
- Laundry and study rooms on every floor
- An attended front desk
- A lobby lounge/game area
- A computer lab
- A conference room
- Tonopah Center
- Special Interest Floors
- South Complex
- Upper-Class Complex
The healthcare provider for the UNLV students is the UNLV Campus Wellbeing Center ensure extensive medical facilities for individuals at UNLV. The center is situated on the central UNLV complex. Accurate information on the venue, schedule of consultations and resources available is present online. The health care that individuals at UNLV receive remains confidential and segregated from all other academic credentials for members of the UNLV Society. The Clinic is not a medical branch or educational venue for students from the School of Medicine.
UNLV Medical School offers therapy and counseling services. UNLV therapy and counseling services are housed on the main UNLV campus. Times, details on the situation/emergencies are available on the website. These facilities are a part of the health and wellbeing premium for medical students.
Student Health Insurance
Students are expected to have healthcare insurance for the school. To all medical students, the coverage is part of the attendance bill. Students can request for exemption if they can show equivalent insurance cover. Students may pay to have a spouse or housewife, or dependents.
The Residential Living Department offers resources and initiatives to enhance personal, educational, and training opportunities for community, personnel, and students. Highlights of the amenities are mentioned below:
Research at UNLV
UNLV Medical University is dedicated to getting community members involved in all facets of the research process. UNLV research and development projects promote health, reduce disease and disease risk, and create resilience in the community. The discoveries transform health-care outcomes across and beyond Nevada. The main areas of research include addiction sciences, Cancer, community health, digestive diseases, drug discoveries, health prosperity, health disparities, oral health, and stroke and spinal cord injury.
Ultimate Guidance for a Successful Life at Medical College
Be Your Support System
You got into medical school, that’s a tremendous achievement. Whatever you have done up to now has led you to succeed, your intellect and study habits have already been built nicely. You have to believe that in medical school you can succeed. Every individual has separate study habits, and a range of techniques work for everyone. If your results are often not very good you shouldn’t be punishing yourself instead, you should be helping yourself in challenging times and should be reminding yourself that you are a person who is capable of incredible accomplishments and aims to aspire.
Dr. Najeeb Lectures
The term learning guidance may refer to a variety of collaborative approaches, educational services, or facilities provided to students to help them in improving their progress in studying, keeping up with fellow students, meeting learning standards, or usually thriving in school. Instructors are hired by the university for academic assistance but at times the professors are unable to provide proper lectures. Students are unable to understand the concepts due to poor academic assistance and are found in severe depression. For all those students pursuing degrees in fields of medicine, Dr. Najeeb is the ray of hope. Dr. Najeeb with his experience of more than 32 years can exceptionally handle medical college courses. By explaining every concept in the amount of detail required and removing every ambiguity that a student might have relating to medical studies. Dr. Najeeb’s Lectures are not only confined to a single domain of medicine but you can get your hands on priceless knowledge for every stage be it MCAT, M.S., MD or Ph.D. Dr. Najeeb’s Lectures are the world’s most popular medical Lectures, covering all the topics of Gross Anatomy, Neuro-anatomy, Embryology, Histology, Physiology, Biochemistry, Genetics, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Immunology, and Pathology. They are video lectures that cover almost all the topics in the current medical curriculum of most medical colleges. They contain visualization of what you study in your books. The hand-drawn illustrations in these lectures make it very easy to grasp the concepts. 80% of medical students in 190 countries rely on these videos. Dr. Najeeb employs hand-drawn diagrams to inspire the learning process as he believes that lifelong knowledge comes from simple concepts. Dr. Najeeb has assisted many million students by clearing their concepts. Furthermore, one can get lifetime access to these lectures and even download the app to avail them anytime, anywhere.
Ask for Assistance before it’s too late
Do not be scared of trying when you sense you require help in some area, whether by therapy, mentoring or educational support. Getting assistance isn’t a symbol of failure but a symbol of self-awareness and wisdom. Recognizing when to request and receive assistance is very essential because when you attempt to fix problems after a long delay, the problems are no longer solvable. Whether it’s some theory you don’t comprehend and you’re looking for guidance a night before exams you basically can’t get any useful help. If it’s a physical or mental condition and you’re looking for support when it’s beyond the curable stage the support does not do you any good. So, you need to get help early.
Don’t Cram rather Understand Concepts
Every student is a suspect of cramming for an assessment at a certain moment. But for you to understand that for your professional career, the material you are learning in school is much more significant. Cramming only lets you hold details for a brief time. In the longer term, you would possibly forget about it. This will influence your competence as a doctor. Cramming is a bad habit where you just momentarily know information, it’s easier not to rush anything and grasp the essence of the theories. You should write things down, record and listen to ideas, use visual aids to keep the ideas in the head for a longer period of time. In the end, we would like to assure you that there are always ups and downs in life.
Don’t lose hope, keep up with the hard work and Good Luck!